News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

I would love to see BotM ankylosaurs, but I don't know how you'd be able to make them modular without a unique body piece for every species. Maybe just cover them in rows of little holes and have interchangeable spike/osteroderm/blank skin plugs, like an elaborate Mr. Potato Head?  ;D
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

Here's what I see as major problems that Creative Beast Studio would face in tackling three very cool dinosaur groups for the BotM line.

1. Spinosaurs. Only one major problem here: numbers, specifically the lack of. There really aren't that many known genera to fill out a whole line of figures. The only ones known from good fossil material are Baryonyx, Ichythyovenator, Irritator, Spinosaurus, and Suchomimus. The remains few are only known from small fragments. Oh, and both Oxalaia and Sigilmassasaurus may very well be species of Spinosaurus. So basically we're talking just five figures.

2. Stegosaurs. Needless to say, there's significant variation in the size and arrangement of plates and spikes on these beasts. That doesn't bode well at all for mould sharing.

3. Ankylosaurs. As already noted above, there's tons of variation, even more than there is for the stegosaurs! The skulls, the tail clubs (or lack of them), and especially the armour. Again, I don't see how it would be possible for any of them to share a body mould.

So that's my two cents. I still say hadrosaurs are the best choice for BotM Series 4.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I still think part sharing outside of related groups is the best way to progress from here. Between all of the parts already done and the potential for unrelated new species to share parts (IE Ornithomimids and Therizinosaurs) I don't think sticking to groups is practical anymore. Especially if less popular animals like hadrosaurs are going to get a real shot at getting funded.

Dusty Wren

If Creative Beast can get a regular flow of cash going from the sales of the established lines, then David will probably be able to back off the part-sharing model a bit for future lines. The point of part sharing was to give the customers the widest variety of species at the lowest cost for production. If the ceratopsians, raptors, and tyrannosaurs sell well enough to help fund future lines, we might start seeing figures with more bespoke parts. Which would be good, because hadrosaurs are probably the last group that can get away with a lot of sharing.

I do like the idea of Mr. Potato Head-style ankylosaurs, though :))
Check out my customs thread!

andrewsaurus rex

very interesting comments and thoughts.  One additional problem, to a degree, with Spinosaurs and Ankylosaurs is their bodies would not really allow for a lot of articulation...how do you articulate the spino sails and ankylosaur armour?  One of the main features of the BOTM is their zillion points of articulation.  I wonder if they would be interested in even tackling dino figures that will have less? 

Even if cash flow from strong sales of previous lines permits them to abandon the parts sharing model, the new models without part sharing are still going to be much more expensive, simply because they won't benefit from the part sharing cost savings.  So whether the funding comes from crowd sharing, BOTM's pocket  or somewhere else, production cost is still going to be much higher and thus so will retail price.

So as much as i'd looove to see lots more dino lines, I have a hunch that Hadrosaurs and maybe some kind of Allosaurid line are all that have a chance.

Faelrin

Abelisauridae have a lot of potential. Some with very good remains. But aside from Carnotaurus and perhaps Majungasaurus, would people (other then those of us here) be as interested in the others?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

Hey, I was just thinking about a Ceratosaur Series with Ceratosaurs, Abelisaurs, and Noasaurs.

Quote from: Faelrin on June 12, 2021, 12:03:46 AM
But aside from Carnotaurus and perhaps Majungasaurus, would people (other then those of us here) be as interested in the others?
I woudn't think those species any less popular than most of the offerings in the Raptor series. I had never heard of most of those species prior to learning of the line. Although perhaps them being branded as "raptors" generates more casual appeal than something like "ceratosaurs" or "abelisaurs" would.

suspsy

I would totally be down for either a BotM Rajasaurus or Rugops.

Carnoking

Psittacoraptor

David has announced on instagram that the 1/18 raptors have been pushed back to spring 2022 to keep the focus on the tyrannosaur kickstarter. A sensible decision IMO.

suspsy

Ornithomimosaurs would be another really cool future BotM series. They're definitely an underrepresented group when it comes to toys and many of them would allow for mould sharing. Deinocheirus would obviously be the big boy, the "T. rex" of the lot.

Here's my list of good candidates. What are other people's thoughts? What kind of colours would you want?

Archaeornithomimus
Beishanlong
Deinocheirus
Gallimimus
Garudimimus
Harpymimus
Dromiceiomimus
Ornithomimus
Pelecanimimus
Rativates
Sinornithomimus
Struthiomimus

Bread

Definitely agree with avatar_suspsy @suspsy on the making of Ornithomimosaurs. Been seeing a lot of wants or desires for a proper Deinocheirus, plus a company has yet to make a proper Gallimimus. The Deinocheirus would definitely be the rex of the bunch, especially achieving a possible higher price point.

I may get some disagreement with this statement, but I would hope that there would be a little bit more creativity freedom with color schemes if there were to be a Ornithomimosaur line. Less color schemes to be based on birds (which I assume birds would be David's go to).

I am still all for a hadrosaur line over all others, but due to popularity it would be a risk for David to take. Let's hope this Tyrannosaur series really expands the future projects he wants to do.

stargatedalek

Does anyone have a list for scales of BOTM figures? I understand many of them don't match the advertised scales due to the necessity of part sharing, so assembling a definitive list to see which ultimately pair best with each other could be pretty useful.

Faelrin

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek Perhaps this should be moved to its own thread if there isn't one already? I agree something like this would be good to have though.

I certainly know there was discussion in the ceratopsian thread about such however, maybe elsewhere. Too many pages to dig through though.

Flaffy

Does anyone know if there's a way to safely detach BotM Raptor tails from the main body without ruining the figure?

I currently have them displayed, but would like to put them pack in their original packaging boxes, which requires a separated tail.

Thanks!

ITdactyl

gentle heat; soak in a warm bath for a few seconds until it feels easy to pull out.

I used a hair blower in low settings though (for my OG velociraptor). Took a minute (I kept moving the nozzle since direct heat might damage the plastic) before it got loose enough.*

*still ended up damaging it since the previous owner apparently put additional adhesive to the ball joint.

To add insult to injury, the tail of my atrociraptor came off easily without the need for applying heat.  ::) ;D

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I was able to slip the tail off the ball joint no problem on my Acheroraptor just now. Additionally the joint the ball joint is attached to can be pulled out as there are two slots for repositioning the tail. That joint does need some force applied. Additionally I tend to wiggle it side to side to loosen it up. Here's an image to better show what I mean here:

Though it might not hurt to take avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl advice if it gives you any trouble, just to be on the safe side.

Flaffy

Thank you avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin and avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl:)) :))

I haven't touched my raptors for years and I'm kind of nervous, but fingers crossed this all goes well and the rubber won't tear.  ^-^

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Faelrin on June 12, 2021, 12:03:46 AM
Abelisauridae have a lot of potential. Some with very good remains. But aside from Carnotaurus and perhaps Majungasaurus, would people (other then those of us here) be as interested in the others?
Skorpiovenator
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

CarnotaurusKing

A carnosaur series wouldn't be too bad, with the group now including both allosauroidea and megalosauroidea. Part sharing wouldn't be too much of a hassle and there's quite a few big names in the group: Spinosaurus; Giganotosaurus; Allosaurus; and Baryonyx, to name just a few. Sorry if this has already been suggested in this thread.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: