News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Here's some pics of the upcoming (wip?) 1/18th scale Velociraptor and Dromaeosaurus. Seems there might be a solution for stability in the form of a little foot clamp (with will be in clear plastic on the final product).

Velociraptor:

Dromaeosaurus:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

These are tempting given how there still aren't that many good quality feathered raptor figures currently available. I'm gonna wait and see just how many different species David tackles before I buy one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

I found that my Mononykus eventually became difficult to stand up because the leg was too thin to support its weight. Can these be posed in a standing rather than running position? If so I'll have more confidence in that little clamp.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

andrewsaurus rex

those 1/18 raptors will just be about 4 inches long, and light as, well, a feather.  I doubt there will be bending issues with such small figures.  BOTM should consider using a foot peg instead of the clamp, it would be totally unobtrusive.

I like the dromaeosaurus better than the velociraptor.......don't like the head on it.

Duna

Quote from: andrewsaurus on May 09, 2021, 04:12:44 AM
those 1/18 raptors will just be about 4 inches long, and light as, well, a feather.  I doubt there will be bending issues with such small figures.  BOTM should consider using a foot peg instead of the clamp, it would be totally unobtrusive.
Yes, maybe a hole in the sole of the feet and a peg on the base. I don't know if it would be enough to support the weight on one foot.

Eocarcharia

David said on social media that a peg system wouldn't work due to the size of the figures.

QuoteAn update on the 1/18th scale Velociraptor development- one of the biggest challenges so far with these little raptors has been finding a way to have them stand. The feet are too small for foot pegs, and a posing rod at this scale would be a bit too fiddly, so we developed a small foot clamp that holds the foot in place without actually attaching to the figure. Like the base, the foot clamp will be in ABS clear plastic for the final version. These little raptors will be a lot of fun!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COQT-ESlSgf/

suspsy

Just for the sake of fun, I'm going to present my case for why the fourth series of Beasts of the Mesozoic should be hadrosaurs.

1. Hadrosaurs are a fascinating group of dinosaurs. Duh.

2. Although CollectA, PNSO, and Safari have produced a number of superb hadrosaur figures in recent years, they're still underrepresented compared to other dinosaur groups.

3. Hadrosaurs would lend themselves very well to mould sharing, more so than stegosaurs or ankylosaurs. Aside from their heads, they tend to be virtually identical. It would take an expert to tell the difference between the skeleton of a Lambeosaurus from a Parasaurolophus without the skulls attached.

4. Hadrosaurs would be a perfect compliment to the tyrannosaurs and the ceratopsians given how various representatives of those three groups coexisted in North America and Asia. For example, a BotM Saurolophus would give the Tarbosaurus something to hunt, as no ceratopsians are known from the Nemegt Formation.

5. Frogs (and salamanders as well) would be a cool source inspiration for the colour schemes.

And that is why I think hadrosaurs should make up BotM Series 4. My ideal lineup would consist of:

Bactrosaurus
Brachylophosaurus
Corythosaurus
Edmontosaurus
Gryposaurus
Hypacrosaurus
Kamuysaurus
Kritosaurus
Lambeosaurus
Magnapaulia
Maiasaura
Parasaurolophus
Prosaurolophus
Olorotitan
Saurolophus
Shantungosaurus
Tlatolophus
Tsintaosaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm all for hadrosaurs. He might could even squeeze an iguanodont or two in there.

andrewsaurus rex

i'm all for hadrosaurs as well.  But I have a feeling it may be sauropods, and probably in 1/35 scale,  Hope i'm wrong.

Another series i'd like to see in 1/18 is 'armoured dinosaurs'  eg ankylosaurs/nodosaurs and stegosaurs

I suspect we'll see another theropod series at some point that covers all non tyrannosaurs.

Dusty Wren

Hadrosaurs are a natural fit for BotM for all the reasons avatar_suspsy @suspsy outlined, and I really hope they're next. I've been looking around for hadrosaur figures to add to my collection recently and I'm a little shocked at how hard it is to find good ones.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Forgot about Ouranosaurus avatar_suspsy @suspsy
Last good figure of that was the battat.

suspsy

Ouranosaurus is a basal hadrosauromorph, an iguanodont, but I wouldn't object to seeing it included among proper hadrosaurs.

Oh, and the PNSO miniature is also a great toy.

Faelrin

I've been wanting hadrosaurs (or ornithopods in general to get things like Dryosaurus, Iguanodon, Ouranosaurus, etc), since 2016 for a Dinosaur Park setup. Got the ceratopsians (later this year for me), and tyrannosaurs on the way, and a proper 1/18th Dromaeosaurus to join those as well in the future (and hopefully a Saurornitholestes too).

I think another good reason for hadrosaurs (or ornithopods), is that there is many with good fossil remains to work with and lots with large sections of integument (though across hadrosaurs it is pretty similar), nevermind the numerous mummy specimens to work from.

I would be curious what the thoughts on the Edmontosaurus hooves should be. If they should be carried over to the other hadrosaurids (like PNSO has done)?

Also I think the amphibian color schemes would look amazing on ornithopods. Lots of potential there.

Granted my only concern would be how they do financially. The ceratopsians needed that extender/pre-order store to get the funding for the remaining stretch goals. Worst case at least that's an option.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: suspsy on May 10, 2021, 01:09:12 PM
Ouranosaurus is a basal hadrosauromorph, an iguanodont, but I wouldn't object to seeing it included among proper hadrosaurs.

Oh, and the PNSO miniature is also a great toy.
My bad! Did not know that, but hey you learn something new every day. Thanks for the clarification.

PNSO's mini is okay, the size of the figure is its downfall (in my opinion).

andrewsaurus rex

We die hards would love Hadrosaurs/iquanodonts but are there enough of us to support a series of them is my concern.  When I learned the ceratopsian series has struggled a bit that gave me pause for the future of these 1/18 lines. 

Another small problem is that some hadrosaurs were HUGE.  Doubtful they could be done in 1/18, but there are still plenty that could be and as suspsy pointed out their bodies are similar.  You'd basically need only 2, one for Lambeosaurs and one for the likes of Parasaurolophus etc that have much higher neural spines that give the back a noticeably taller look.  But with those two approx. 20 inch bodies, the only real difference between them being the torso, there is a whole whack of interesting hadrosaurs you could crank out.  Then you could address the very large ones in another scale, say 1/35.

Bring it on, i'm all in....

Carnoking

We're not even through the ceratopsian line, and if I heard it correctly the Tyrannosaur line kickstarter is coming up this year as well after which it will be a while before the final figures are released in their respective waves. Meanwhile arguments are being made for a hadrosaur line (which I would love), but dang if this just isn't too much for me to wrap my head around

Dusty Wren

David did announce the tyrannosaur line at the launch of the ceratopsian Kickstarter, so it's not too out there to assume he might announce the next line during the tyrannosaur Kickstarter. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Has David confirmed that the tyrannosaurs will be free-standing? Or are they going to need stands to support them?
Check out my customs thread!

Halichoeres

I think it's going to be hadrosaurs, although that wouldn't be my first choice personally.

I think dragons will probably happen before the next BotM line, however.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I keep forgetting about the dragons. I still have no interest in those, but I hope they sell well. It certainly would be nice for our wallets to take a little break from dinosaurs.

Also, winged dragons could conceivably pave the engineering way for BotM pterosaurs in the distant future.

Giganotosaurus

So I went ahead and bought an (spoiler for next Jurassic)
Spoiler
Atrociraptor since it's been leaked to be in Dominion. I order every dinosaur BOTM that has been in a Jurassic movie or in Disney's Dinosaur.
[close]
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: