You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Although the new head looks better, it doesn't seem to be any smaller than the old one. And if the ''beak'' is going to be the same orange color again, I'm afraid this head wil look just as derpy as the previous one.

Thylacosmilus

Hi, everyone!

I know I'm a newbie here (I started today), but can i ask if someone already talked directly to him about the size head? I only saw the FlaffyRaptors making some points in the two heads comparing  post.

Sim

In a comment under the Facebook post comparing the new and old Zhenyuanlong heads, David said, "It was really had to show in the photos, but this new head is a good bit smaller not just in length, but overall girth. That's the trouble with photos. Perhaps I'll try to make some videos."  David has also said he is considering making the snout more pinkish red like the package art.

Thylacosmilus

Sim

I  see his answer now! Thanks!

Flaffy

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on August 13, 2016, 12:44:59 AM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 12, 2016, 10:32:18 PM
The idea that you could make perfectly accurate dinosaurs using stock bodies and swapping out heads and feet was never gonna work anyway - too many proportion differences in the leg segments and head sizes as well. You can't make a Zhenyuanlong by changing the face and arms of a Velociraptor any more than you can change the head and arms of a T. rex to make an Allosaurus.

As far as I know, the only parts shared by all of the figures are the tongue, base of the neck, upper torso, lower torso, and tail base, although some of these parts look different in some figures due to other parts that connect to them.

Maybe I'm not looking closely enough but they all seem to have the same tibia as well, which is where a lot of the leg proportion problems come from. If there is a longer tibia it should be used in Balaur, Dromaeosaurus, and Zhenyusnlong - all of them have lower legs that are too short in proportion to the femur/torso.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 14, 2016, 03:15:05 PM
More raptors, "The North Pack"   :P

Nice set though I guess he means "Canada" when he says north? I think all the raptors in the series are pretty much equally northern! Mongolia, Liaoning, Romania, Alberta, and Montana are all at about the same latitude!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Silvanusaurus

I'm finding it hard to resist the charms of that handsome dromaeosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 14, 2016, 03:36:39 PM
The idea that you could make perfectly accurate dinosaurs using stock bodies and swapping out heads and feet was never gonna work anyway - too many proportion differences in the leg segments and head sizes as well. You can't make a Zhenyuanlong by changing the face and arms of a Velociraptor any more than you can change the head and arms of a T. rex to make an Allosaurus.

As far as I know, the only parts shared by all of the figures are the tongue, base of the neck, upper torso, lower torso, and tail base, although some of these parts look different in some figures due to other parts that connect to them.

Maybe I'm not looking closely enough but they all seem to have the same tibia as well, which is where a lot of the leg proportion problems come from. If there is a longer tibia it should be used in Balaur, Dromaeosaurus, and Zhenyusnlong - all of them have lower legs that are too short in proportion to the femur/torso.

Before David completed Balaur, he posted a parts map that showed the parts shared by the figures with built prototypes.  There were two tibia types: type 1 was used for Velociraptor, Tsaagan and Saurornitholestes; type 2 was used for Atrociraptor.  The photos of Veloci and Atroci below might help to show the difference.  The parts map showed these two have the same femur.
Velociraptor, lower leg tapers quite a bit: link
Atrociraptor, lower leg looks more feathery / oval-like: link

As far as I know, David hasn't made any other tibia parts, so I think all the others have one of these two tibia types.  Looking at photos of the other figures, it looks like tibia type 1 is also used for Zhenyuanlong and Pyroraptor; while type 2 is also used for Balaur, Adasaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Acheroraptor and Linheraptor.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on August 14, 2016, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 14, 2016, 03:36:39 PM

Before David completed Balaur, he posted a parts map that showed the parts shared by the figures with built prototypes.  There were two tibia types: type 1 was used for Velociraptor, Tsaagan and Saurornitholestes; type 2 was used for Atrociraptor.  The photos of Veloci and Atroci below might help to show the difference.  The parts map showed these two have the same femur.
Velociraptor, lower leg tapers quite a bit: link
Atrociraptor, lower leg looks more feathery / oval-like: link

As far as I know, David hasn't made any other tibia parts, so I think all the others have one of these two tibia types.  Looking at photos of the other figures, it looks like tibia type 1 is also used for Zhenyuanlong and Pyroraptor; while type 2 is also used for Balaur, Adasaurus, Dromaeosaurus, Acheroraptor and Linheraptor.

The difference seems to be in feathering and maybe musculature, not length, which is what actually varies between these species :(
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Fembrogon

Quote from: Victoria B on August 02, 2016, 08:40:18 PM
Really? How do you do that? I know you can get an Amazon gift card using your PayPal account, but I wasn't aware you could actually use it the way you would Ebay or Toys R Us.
Apologies for the late reply. My Paypal account is directly connected to my bank account, so any time I make a purchase - on Amazon, or, really, any website - it comes straight out of the bank.
In retrospect, I have no idea if this is standard practice with banks.

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 14, 2016, 04:18:02 PM
I'm finding it hard to resist the charms of that handsome dromaeosaurus.
I know, right? Dromaeosaurus might be my new favorite.

Flaffy

stargatedalek

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 16, 2016, 04:21:51 PM
Really? How do you do that? I know you can get an Amazon gift card using your PayPal account, but I wasn't aware you could actually use it the way you would Ebay or Toys R Us.
Apologies for the late reply. My Paypal account is directly connected to my bank account, so any time I make a purchase - on Amazon, or, really, any website - it comes straight out of the bank.
It's standard with banks, but not with PayPal. PayPal technically lets you connect any bank account to it, but only a select few banks get the full features.

Dobber

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on August 16, 2016, 04:52:58 PM
New image of liheraptor.

So much awesome! Don't care about the sudden negativity towards the coloring that's been happening. That looks so beautiful to me!

Chris

postsaurischian

:D :D I'm VERY glad I pre-ordered the Linheraptor exquisitus. Exquisitus indeed :)!! WHAT A BEAUTY!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
New image of liheraptor.

So much awesome! Don't care about the sudden negativity towards the coloring that's been happening. That looks so beautiful to me!

Chris

Is there negativity about the colors of Linheraptor? I haven't noticed it, at least not on this forum. Or is it on the Facebook page? Anyway, I think Linheraptor is absolutely beautfiul!

Victoria's Cantina

The Linheraptor is beautifully exquisite. Just as I imagined it would be!

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 16, 2016, 04:21:51 PM

Sounds to me like you're paying by using your bank account rather than PayPal. Bank account is an option when you check out. I'm still 99.9% sure that Amazon does not take PayPal.

Silvanusaurus

I agree, that is one exquisite raptor. Mr Silva seems to be trying his hardest to enter my bank with a vacuum cleaner.

terrorchicken

I keep wanting to get a different Chinese raptor pal for my velociraptor to play with(or spar with) but... I cant! I already added one of the accessory packs and Im also paying off a Fairyland Rus Griffin bjd! I just caaant! "sobs"  :'(

Dobber

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on August 16, 2016, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: Dobber on August 16, 2016, 07:13:21 PM
New image of liheraptor.

Chris

Is there negativity about the colors of Linheraptor? I haven't noticed it, at least not on this forum. Or is it on the Facebook page? Anyway, I think Linheraptor is absolutely beautfiul!

No not towards Linheraptor specifically, just towards the coloring after actual birds in the accuracy thread. Doesn't bother me in the least. Linheraptor is one of the best looking yet!  8)

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: