News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on September 27, 2015, 12:54:23 AM
Well this is disappointing. I've had it for less than a few hours and it already fell off its base. I'm a bit upset that the ridge over its eye now has a paint rub from where it fell (as well as more minor ones in a couple other areas). Why oh why doesn't the base work? Isn't that the whole point of including a base? So that it doesn't fall?  :'(

Oh no! Poor Acro. At least that would be quick fix w a dab of acrylic paint (on a q-tip). Yeah, I'm not getting the point of the whole base thing. At least, it is pretty, lol.

I think REBOR should quickly release a flurry of quadrupedal herbivores to distract the consumers. Hurry REBOR!!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on September 26, 2015, 11:30:32 PM
I've got to hand it to Rebor... aesthetically speaking, this thing is a BEAST. There is not a single paint flaw that I have noticed yet, and the peach cobbler color is gorgeous. I think I even like it better than the Ceratosaurus. However, it is a real pain to get it to stand on the base. Off the base, no problem. It does balance on the right middle toe like everyone else's, but on the base it's a chore to get it just right. I had to turn the base backwards from the way it should be oriented to find a sweet spot, but even then, it's not ideal since the left foot is angled off the base in such a weird position. The left middle toe is basically balancing on a stone in the base. The prey is a bit tricky to fit as well without it falling out, but it seems to be in there pretty well right now. I really love the Acro but find the base issue to be a bit frustrating.

This is my favorite color, overall. I've always found the Tyco Chasmosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus appealing for the same reason. Best shade of paint ever. Burnt orange.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on September 26, 2015, 11:42:18 PM
I feel like I have to chime in here.

There is a simple fix to this base issue for any hobby modeler, even if not very experienced: 

Carefully drill holes into each foot just deep enough to insert a, say 3/4cm or 1/3 inch brass rod (brass is soft and can be easily clipped to size.

Heat the right leg, re-position it so it sits flat, then freeze it in the fridge.

Insert brass rods into each foot, making sure they stick out about 3/4 to 1 cm (1/3 inch or so).

Match up the brass rods with the base, and carefully drill holes into the base to insert the brass rods into.

Then, mount your model and forget about any more standing problems!!

Ever.  :)

Pegged bases seem like a logical solution at this point.

Simon

Quote from: Takama on September 26, 2015, 11:44:33 PM
Im sure a lot of us are not willing to do any customizing for something they shelled out $80 for that's supposed to be fully finished.

Understandable reticence.  However, you really might want to consider asking a friend/acquaintance who is an experienced hobby modeler to do it for you.

After all, its a choice between having a model that sits rock firm on its base (and no one will ever know about the "fix"), versus a model that looks funny, falls over occasionally and gets its paint chipped as a result.

empire3569

Quote from: Simon on September 27, 2015, 01:13:15 AM
Quote from: Takama on September 26, 2015, 11:44:33 PM
Im sure a lot of us are not willing to do any customizing for something they shelled out $80 for that's supposed to be fully finished.

Understandable reticence.  However, you really might want to consider asking a friend/acquaintance who is an experienced hobby modeler to do it for you.

After all, its a choice between having a model that sits rock firm on its base (and no one will ever know about the "fix"), versus a model that looks funny, falls over occasionally and gets its paint chipped as a result.

Another alternative is to buy a cheap, thin towel/rag and place it underneath the models; that way if they fall, they towel acts as a buffer and can prevent paint rubs from the model hitting the surface of your shelf directly. That's what I ended up doing with mine

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2015, 01:02:30 AMOh no! Poor Acro. At least that would be quick fix w a dab of acrylic paint (on a q-tip). Yeah, I'm not getting the point of the whole base thing. At least, it is pretty, lol.

I think REBOR should quickly release a flurry of quadrupedal herbivores to distract the consumers. Hurry REBOR!!

What kind of acrylic paint would you recommend? I've never done anything like that before so I'd be unsure what brand or color to use. Sounds like a decent fix though.

Quote from: empire3569 on September 27, 2015, 02:53:11 AMAnother alternative is to buy a cheap, thin towel/rag and place it underneath the models; that way if they fall, they towel acts as a buffer and can prevent paint rubs from the model hitting the surface of your shelf directly. That's what I ended up doing with mine

That would work as a good safety net. I actually had some bubble wrap surrounding my King T-Rex, which just fell last week. No doubt, the bubble wrap saved him. With the Acro, he actually hit the wall on his way down. And that's where his paint took the hit.

Shadowknight1

Dang Victoria, I'm sorry to hear that.  I had something similar happen to my first Papo Allosaurus, but he took a harder hit than your Acro did.  Is there no way for him to sit stable on his base?  No sweet spot?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Victoria's Cantina

Thank you. I'm going to need to spend more time and try and find a better sweet spot. I thought I'd found a good way of situating it on the base as I demonstrated in an earlier photo as it stood just fine. Then, I moved it to my Rebor shelf and that's where it fell after a couple of minutes.

What's especially curious to me is that they went out of their way to enlarge the feet for balance purposes. But, because the right foot does not sit flush with the surface, it matters not that it has has enlarged feet. My acro stands just fine off the base despite this, but once you put it on the unevenness prevents decent balancing.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on September 27, 2015, 03:05:15 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2015, 01:02:30 AMOh no! Poor Acro. At least that would be quick fix w a dab of acrylic paint (on a q-tip). Yeah, I'm not getting the point of the whole base thing. At least, it is pretty, lol.

What kind of acrylic paint would you recommend? I've never done anything like that before so I'd be unsure what brand or color to use. Sounds like a decent fix though.

I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to painting, but I've had a few chipped models/toys before. My sister had a set of acrylic paints and I took out a little bit of paint from 1 or 2 tubes of paint and mixed it together to get an approximate shade or desired color (usually 1 or 2 shades darker or lighter, but around the ballpark); black and white tones let you darken or lighten the color. Also, use water to soften the texture of the paint, if necessary. I would then take a q-tip and slowly apply the paint over the scuff. If it doesn't look right I wash it off within 30-60 seconds and try the process again.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on September 27, 2015, 04:12:44 AM

What's especially curious to me is that they went out of their way to enlarge the feet for balance purposes.

I find it very strange. I was almost positive that they would get the balance right with this model.

Anyone try using the Tenontosaurus prey as leg support?

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2015, 05:15:47 AM

What's especially curious to me is that they went out of their way to enlarge the feet for balance purposes.

I find it very strange. I was almost positive that they would get the balance right with this model.

I am, actually. Not on the base though... I'm not touching that thing for the time being after what happened earlier. Though I worry the prey's claws are going to become flat if I leave it like that too long. I'm not sure if it would harm the Acro's mouth either over time.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Victoria B on September 27, 2015, 05:26:44 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 27, 2015, 05:15:47 AM

I am, actually. Not on the base though... I'm not touching that thing for the time being after what happened earlier. Though I worry the prey's claws are going to become flat if I leave it like that too long. I'm not sure if it would harm the Acro's mouth either over time.

Having seen the Acrocanthosaurus Rebor it will retain its plastic base as I did at the time with the Rajasaurus, Mapusaurus and Deinocheirus of Collecta.

Besides frustrating but it's a pretty nice piece, with all due respect to Rebor this is a chestnut. If a significant sum of money is spent on a figure that is supposed no defects and then is exposed to falls and abrasions, no longer an incomplete picture.

I said when I arrive Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest no basis will keep the plastic packaging. I do not want a mess occur as happened with the Rebor tyrannosaurus or ceratosaurus of the same brand.

Silvanusaurus

Could Rebor not solve these kinds of problems by simply having a peg on the base that fits into a corresponding hole beneath one of the feet of the figure? That way the base would still be optional and it wouldn't affect the sculpt of the figure, then it wouldnt matter so much if the legs werent quite even. That way, the base would actually serve it's purpose rather than just being a hassle to use.

tyrantqueen

My Rebor Acro arrived with a damaged snout :(

I'll give credit where it's due, though. The reset of the paint is pretty stellar.

Arul

I hope my acro will be fine...somehow i worried lol

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 27, 2015, 12:34:41 PM
My Rebor Acro arrived with a damaged snout :(

Oh no! And I thought mine taking a hit after it fell looked bad. Is there any way you can exchange it? I wouldn't settle for that.

Shadowknight1

I agree with Victoria, tyrantqueen.  That's why I'm sending my second one back, it looks like part of the right hand melted or didn't come out of the mold properly.  See if you can get a replacement.  Who knows, the replacement might stand better.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

I particularly give the order Order product expressly I ask you not to have any damage or abrasion.

My advice is to do this before anything else and ask for a tracking number email is the most practical. But particularly in regard to Acrocanthosaurus of tyrantqueen my advice: I comment to the seller and ask to switch to another without abrasions.

It would make sense. Otherwise it more accessible switch to another supplier.

tyrantqueen

The seller was Everything Dinosaur. Waiting now for a response from them :)

I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to paint. Happened before in the past with the Papo running Tyrannosaurus ::)

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 27, 2015, 08:29:10 PM
The seller was Everything Dinosaur. Waiting now for a response from them :)

I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to paint. Happened before in the past with the Papo running Tyrannosaurus ::)

Everything Dinosaur is very reasonable. You can also make a special request asking them to inspect the model for superficial flaws (stability issues?) before shipping the product.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: