News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Acrocanthosaurus: "Hercules"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 05:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 26, 2015, 01:01:58 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 25, 2015, 02:33:19 PM
I wonder why metal rods in feet has never (AFAIK) been tried. REBOR are higher end than many figures so that seems like something they could do.
I presume you mean other than the rod that was meant to support the Utahraptor?
I mean internally, like a partial metal skeleton inside the plastic but only in the legs to help with balance and keep legs from warping.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 26, 2015, 02:10:25 AM
I mean internally, like a partial metal skeleton inside the plastic but only in the legs to help with balance and keep legs from warping.
That's actually not that bad an idea.  Maybe embed a magnet in the bases.  Honestly, that's what I originally thought they were going to do with Wind Hunter.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tyrantqueen

QuoteSorry if I offended you with that. I didn't mean to say I didn't believe you all just found it weird. And besides you posted pictures
No problem.

SirGrooot

I just got mine today and a standing issue is prevalent. To be specific, on the right leg, the entire support is dependent on the middle toe. Now standing up the figure on or off the base is actually pretty smooth..BUT when the prey is put into the mouth it just won't balance well on the base. I've read throughout the thread that the corpse drags to the ground from the Acro's mouth. Mine actually does not..

*update as I was writing this. TyrantQueen wasn't kidding, there is one hell of discrete sweet spot. It now stands proudly, prey in mouth, in my collection.

I consider myself lucky, the finish on my model is more of a burnt orange, opposed to that that more yellowish shade as seen in the review by Jurassic Collectables.
Just to be clear, I only have a standing issue while the prey is in the mouth AND on the base. I could have my life so much easier and just put the base back in the box
and be done, but I want the base.. so I had to find that sweet spot.

Like other Rebor models, the mouth takes some prying open, but it was nowhere near as bad as the King Rex. I was happy to see how wide the Acro's mouth opens, it's pretty menacing.
All in all this figure is impeccable. I see what some of you meant by the scales being an artistic choice opposed to a realistic one, but as usual with Rebor... its not accurate but
it looks good and its hard to deny that, but to each their own!

Im happy with my Hercules!

utd7

I also got mine today and I must say what an impressiv beast and as SirGrooot said it has a really menacing glare and thankfully mine has the burnt orange colour too.

I have yet to display it with the REBOR family but will do so tonight when I will maybe stop studying, but finally after a long tease and wait for it to be released it is here in all it's glory and am very excited and happy with this beast. I can see that there has been yet another REBOR roasting here which is really tiring to hear but anyway we'll see what's next from them.
We live in a Jurassic World

Shonisaurus

I waiting for the Acrocanthosaurus me come in three or four days, as I was told.

I look forward to having it in my hands and that is part of my collection.

Arul

Congrats SirGrooot ! Your acro looks so "im groot*"  :D

*=amazing

Sim

Quote from: utd7 on September 26, 2015, 10:55:42 AM
I can see that there has been yet another REBOR roasting here which is really tiring to hear but anyway we'll see what's next from them.

Respectfully, I haven't seen that happen.  I'm not sure if this is what others experience too, but I find comments like the bolded part encourage negative feelings and a negative atmosphere.

QuelQuelQuel

The prey only touches the ground when the animal is not on the base for me, is that the same for everyone else?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: QuelQuelQuel on September 26, 2015, 02:47:24 PM
The prey only touches the ground when the animal is not on the base for me, is that the same for everyone else?
No, not for me. I use the prey item as a third leg, helps it balance better.

SirGrooot

What a weird feature to have inconsistent. Slightly different paint schemes is expected, but I would imagine the prey would function as a third leg for all the models.
I currently have my Acro and King Rex side by side facing the Papo Green Rex and Allosaurus. So the Acro is using the Rex as that extra support so I dont wake up to fallen figures.
"Lean on me... when you have slight balance issues"

I wonder if there's a particular way one might be putting the prey in the mouth to have it act a third leg? But.. there are only so many ways to do it...

SirGrooot

Quote from: Sim on September 26, 2015, 02:07:50 PM
I can see that there has been yet another REBOR roasting here which is really tiring to hear but anyway we'll see what's next from them.

Respectfully, I haven't seen that happen.  I'm not sure if this is what others experience too, but I find comments like the bolded part encourage negative feelings and a negative atmosphere.

Going out on a slight limb here to back up what I "believe "'utd7' is expressing. That if you go to any Rebor figure thread, there is very little appreciation of the figures. This is a forum and opinions are bound to be everywhere, but it does seem like some of the rebor figures are overwhelmingly shunned due to them just missing the target on balance/mold. Yet there are other figure lines that boast much less "wow" factor but don't have any issues and they are accepted, some revered. Do I say Rebor is the best and untouched, thats silly of course its not. But with my time on this forum I have been going back to back on so many threads and let me tell you, there is a dinstinct difference between a rebor figure thread and non rebor figure thread. (they aren't figures per say, but you catch my drift) I'm not sure why this is, they are still new and are trying to make a statement. I'd hope in years to come, assuming they stay, they will wooh all of us into their claws.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinofiel on September 25, 2015, 09:01:59 PM
Mine has a identity crisis!
It plays saxophone and sings hello there i havent you a while, i am herc the crocodile! Did you hear the latest word, i think i am herc the bird. Ok to tell you the truth this is a dead end. I am herc the imaginary friend. Lol i still have to buy the little Guy. I cant wait to get him. My Ceratosaurus also stands very Well. So i am sure i will Find a good standing pose.

You should have broken up your lines, I didn't realize I was reading a little song until I got to the third couplet! :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: SirGrooot on September 26, 2015, 03:28:33 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 26, 2015, 02:07:50 PM

Going out on a slight limb here to back up what I "believe "'utd7' is expressing. That if you go to any Rebor figure thread, there is very little appreciation of the figures. This is a forum and opinions are bound to be everywhere, but it does seem like some of the rebor figures are overwhelmingly shunned due to them just missing the target on balance/mold. Yet there are other figure lines that boast much less "wow" factor but don't have any issues and they are accepted, some revered. Do I say Rebor is the best and untouched, thats silly of course its not. But with my time on this forum I have been going back to back on so many threads and let me tell you, there is a dinstinct difference between a rebor figure thread and non rebor figure thread. (they aren't figures per say, but you catch my drift) I'm not sure why this is, they are still new and are trying to make a statement. I'd hope in years to come, assuming they stay, they will wooh all of us into their claws.

That's not what I though utd7 meant, as a "roasting" in this context to me appears to mean harsh ridicule or criticism.  I haven't seen that happen.

I personally think it's a mistake to suggest others should like a figure/line more than they do.  People have many different valid reasons for liking or disliking something.  Everyone has the right to not want a figure for whatever reason, especially since figures cost money.  If their reasons are due to misunderstanding then it's good to point that out.  Personally, I don't think this is the case with Rebor figures.

I imagine people would be less bothered by defects in Rebor figures if they didn't cost as much as they do.  Rebor figures cost a lot more than those by most of the other lines which are primarily intended to be toys for kids.  I think that is what causes a difference between a Rebor figure thread and a non Rebor figure thread.  Even so, CollectA and Battat have received quite a lot of criticism for their recent figures with standing issues.

What causes a wow factor is subjective.  I know I'm not interested or impressed by deliberate changes to an animals' anatomy to try to make them more appealing.  Some people would rather have figures that try to represent real animals instead of deliberately altered versions.  All that said, to me it seems quite a lot of members have been liking Rebor figures.

Shadowknight1

Do I find REBOR figures to be the best?  Yes and no.  They are superbly detailed and a lot has gone into each one.  But there have been some issues.  I haven't heard any with the Yutyrannus, but the T. rex has a pathetic excuse for a base just to give it a more dynamic pose, etc.  I own two REBOR 1/35 scale dinos.  I'd own more if the other species interested me or if, in the case of T. rex, they gave me something more accurate and unique.  Aside from a couple of very minor blemishes, my Hercules is darn near flawless and, IMO, the best representation of Acrocanthosaurus you can get without buying, building, and painting a model kit.  On the other hand, we have Wind Hunter, who is very well detailed, but the act that I had to buy a transparent acrylic riser to keep it from dipping down to the round speaks volumes.  The Utahraptor should have had both feet on the ground.  Do I still love it?  Yes.  Is it perfect?  No.

Oh, fun fact about those two figures!  I did this just for fun a second ago and the curve of Wind Hunter's right foot actually allows it to grip Hercules's spine!  I'll try to get some pictures soon, promise!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Victoria's Cantina

I've got to hand it to Rebor... aesthetically speaking, this thing is a BEAST. There is not a single paint flaw that I have noticed yet, and the peach cobbler color is gorgeous. I think I even like it better than the Ceratosaurus. However, it is a real pain to get it to stand on the base. Off the base, no problem. It does balance on the right middle toe like everyone else's, but on the base it's a chore to get it just right. I had to turn the base backwards from the way it should be oriented to find a sweet spot, but even then, it's not ideal since the left foot is angled off the base in such a weird position. The left middle toe is basically balancing on a stone in the base. The prey is a bit tricky to fit as well without it falling out, but it seems to be in there pretty well right now. I really love the Acro but find the base issue to be a bit frustrating.

Simon

I feel like I have to chime in here.

There is a simple fix to this base issue for any hobby modeler, even if not very experienced: 

Carefully drill holes into each foot just deep enough to insert a, say 3/4cm or 1/3 inch brass rod (brass is soft and can be easily clipped to size.

Heat the right leg, re-position it so it sits flat, then freeze it in the fridge.

Insert brass rods into each foot, making sure they stick out about 3/4 to 1 cm (1/3 inch or so).

Match up the brass rods with the base, and carefully drill holes into the base to insert the brass rods into.

Then, mount your model and forget about any more standing problems!!

Ever.  :)

Takama

Im sure a lot of us are not willing to do any customizing for something they shelled out $80 for that's supposed to be fully finished.

SirGrooot

Your advice is greatly appreciated and noted Simon, I'm afraid to say Takama sums of how I feel about it though.

Victoria's Cantina

Well this is disappointing. I've had it for less than a few hours and it already fell off its base. I'm a bit upset that the ridge over its eye now has a paint rub from where it fell (as well as more minor ones in a couple other areas). Why oh why doesn't the base work? Isn't that the whole point of including a base? So that it doesn't fall?  :'(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: