News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/6 Scale Dimorphodon Male and Female: "Punch" and "Judy"

Started by joossa, July 18, 2015, 11:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Tallin on July 24, 2015, 10:35:19 PM
Is it known in pterosaurs whether the males were larger and more robust than the females? I was under the impression that with dinosaurs, several unrelated genus are hypothesised to have a female larger than the male; for example in the stegosaurs, tyrannosaurus and dromeaosaurs - the latter suggested since modern day raptor females are often larger than the males.

I just wondered whether any evidence on sexual dimorphism had been unearthed for pterosaurs.

From what little I've read of pterosauridos was a sexual dimorphism between males and females in terms of the ridges. The crests of males were larger and more pronounced than females.

It would be interesting to know us a real expert answer.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2015, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: Viking Spawn on July 24, 2015, 07:25:57 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 24, 2015, 02:46:20 PM
I'm interested to see the color dimorph...ism (sorry). Will they play it conventional (drab female, showy male), or take a cue from the phalarope?

Male on the left, female on the right:

I'm expecting to see color differences between genders.  Rebor has done a great job with their selection of paints so far.  For a second there you lost me with the description of your image.  I think you meant that other way around?
The Phalaropus lobatus claim to fame is the female being more elaborately coloured than the male. I think it would be great if REBOR did something similar, every one of the few times dimorphism has been shown the male was always shown as being brighter and larger, a change of pace would be nice.

*edit* Halichoeres beat me to it.

Ah, gotcha.  Not familiar with this species.   ;)

joossa

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 24, 2015, 07:52:10 PM
Well, I brought up the phalarope by way of contrast. It's one of those species that defy our expectations, in that the female is larger and more colorful than the male (she mates with multiple males and the males tend her eggs in separate nests in her territory). More species than most people realize have this "reversal" of sex roles. I just thought it would be cool if Rebor also defied expectation in the same way. But if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a showy male and drab female for this particular figure pair.
Interesting example. I agree with your last sentence, though.

Viking Spawn, every time I see the GIF in your signature, it makes me sad to see how low gas prices were in the 90's. Haha.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Viking Spawn

Quote from: joossa on July 25, 2015, 05:55:04 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 24, 2015, 07:52:10 PM
Well, I brought up the phalarope by way of contrast. It's one of those species that defy our expectations, in that the female is larger and more colorful than the male (she mates with multiple males and the males tend her eggs in separate nests in her territory). More species than most people realize have this "reversal" of sex roles. I just thought it would be cool if Rebor also defied expectation in the same way. But if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on a showy male and drab female for this particular figure pair.
Interesting example. I agree with your last sentence, though.

Viking Spawn, every time I see the GIF in your signature, it makes me sad to see how low gas prices were in the 90's. Haha.

LOL.  I remember the beginning of my college days when gas was still under a dollar.  86 to 90 cents actually.  The first time price went over a dollar, people screamed about how excessive the prices have become!  Looking forward 20 plus years... Oh boy.  The good ol days I suppose.....    :P

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 24, 2015, 11:19:35 PM
Quote from: Tallin on July 24, 2015, 10:35:19 PM
Is it known in pterosaurs whether the males were larger and more robust than the females? I was under the impression that with dinosaurs, several unrelated genus are hypothesised to have a female larger than the male; for example in the stegosaurs, tyrannosaurus and dromeaosaurs - the latter suggested since modern day raptor females are often larger than the males.

I just wondered whether any evidence on sexual dimorphism had been unearthed for pterosaurs.

From what little I've read of pterosauridos was a sexual dimorphism between males and females in terms of the ridges. The crests of males were larger and more pronounced than females.

It would be interesting to know us a real expert answer.
I just read a bit in Witton's pterosaur book, and according to him most pterosaurs are not known from enough specimens to detect sexual dimorphism. Pteranodon is, though, and there is pronounced dimorphism there. In that case, the specimens with the pelvic girdles most likely to accommodate eggs were smaller, with smaller crests. But Pteranodon had very different ecology from Dimorphodon and was separated by 100 million years (Pteranodon is closer to us temporally than to Dimorphodon). Since there are only a couple of Dimorphodon specimens known, I think anything goes as far as reconstructions!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Monkeysaurus

Looks like another great piece from Rebor. I was just reading up on the Dimorphodon's Wikipedia page and I came across this photo, which depicts the animal hunting an early Rhynchocephalia, the only modern descendants of which are the Tuatara native to New Zealand. They only resemble lizards superficially, and aren't actually closely related. It looks quite similar to the silhouette in Rebor's diorama, and if indeed they drew inspiration from this, then perhaps we know the "lizard" in question. It's probably a long shot however.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Arul

Hey you right they looks similiar  :D so we can say that is the "unofficial" spoiler lol JK... What i like from this figure is the size will be small, but im sure the detail and coloration gonna be very interesting

gfxtwin

Anyone know if these beautiful lovebirds from hell going to be a two-pack, or sold separately?

Fluffysaurus

Seperatly, still wonder what that little Lizard Will be for species.
My Fluffy is red.
My beaky is green.
I am the cutest Fluffysaurus you have ever seen!

Halichoeres

My guess is Clevosaurus. Abundant fossils from the right time, and they had a broad distribution. But I'll be just as happy if I'm wrong.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

There is some pretty extreme dimorphism in Pteranodon:

Here the male is much larger than the female, has a larger bill, and a much more elaborate crest. The female has wider hips, despite being smaller, to allow laying eggs.

Less extreme in the more primitive crested pterosaurs, like Hamipterus and Darwinopterus:

Darwinopterus and Hamipterus are more basal than Pteranodon. In both the male has a (larger) crest and narrower hips but is the same size as the female.

Rhamphorhynchus, even more basal than those, doesn't seem to have much in the way of dimorphism. Dimorphodon is more basal still, so we *might* expect less extreme dimorphism than in crested species, more like Rhamphorhynchus, which was probably just dimorphic in color and hips if anything.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Rain

New pictures. Not too sure if I like em or not

Patrx

Hey, that's not bad! A little underfluffed, but I really like the inclusion of little lizardy things on the bases. A reference to Dimorphodon's probable diet, perhaps?

Shonisaurus

So I see the dimorphodon female holding a clear plastic rod. This makes me think I have a hole in the belly and the rod is attached to the male dimorphodon diorama.

Moreover I suppose the reptile appears just is not a mere lizard current, so it will be a kind of prehistoric lizard.

Viking Spawn

I think the two together are going to look cool!  Just got to wait and see them fully painted!   ;)

ITdactyl

I'm starting to like this more and more.  Is this supposed to be sold as a set or 2 separate items?

I'll echo Patrx, the fluff is on the conservative side - though I don't find that wrong per se (nor do I fault them [Rebor] for it).  Only thing I'm not a fan of is the skinny neck outline.  I guess I'm too influenced by the more modern Witton illustrations where the heads blend smoothly to the body because of the fluff - just a personal preference (and not a complaint about the figure).  I may be comparing them too much to modern birds.

Rain

Quote from: Viking Spawn on October 03, 2015, 06:50:29 PM
I think the two together are going to look cool!  Just got to wait and see them fully painted!   ;)

It feels so odd to see your real name in the facebook comments instead of "Viking Spawn". Haha  :P

John

I'm especially liking what I'm seeing of the perched one so far. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dobber

Quote from: ITdactyl on October 03, 2015, 06:59:39 PM
I'll echo Patrx, the fluff is on the conservative side - though I don't find that wrong per se (nor do I fault them [Rebor] for it).  Only thing I'm not a fan of is the skinny neck outline.  I guess I'm too influenced by the more modern Witton illustrations where the heads blend smoothly to the body because of the fluff - just a personal preference (and not a complaint about the figure).  I may be comparing them too much to modern birds.

I'm feeling the same way. I'm starting to think that about a lot of species now too. It's making me think a lot of reconstructions and art are a bit silly, like we are always making pterodons and dinosaurs so skinny for some reason. I also have NO proof they shouldn't be this way either so....

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Patrx

Quote from: Dobber on October 03, 2015, 07:56:37 PM
Quote from: ITdactyl on October 03, 2015, 06:59:39 PM

I'm feeling the same way. I'm starting to think that about a lot of species now too. It's making me think a lot of reconstructions and art are a bit silly, like we are always making pterodons and dinosaurs so skinny for some reason. I also have NO proof they shouldn't be this way either so....

It's all part of the "Soft Dinosaur Revolution!":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJpx1g-BrL8

But perhaps I digress. I think I can safely say that perched Dimorphodon is my favorite REBOR so far :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: