News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Most Wanted Dino-Model

Started by RobinGoodfellow, September 02, 2015, 10:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Paleona on September 02, 2015, 08:35:54 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 02, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 02, 2015, 03:47:45 PM
At the moment I don't have one. I've achieved a lot of my "holy grails" but eventually sold them off. Maybe I haven't found my true grail figure yet.

As Spock said, "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Particularly true with significant others, amirite?

That's a pretty relatable quote, but no, I don't find it applies to significant others, at least not for me.  Sounds like you haven't found your "one", Halichoeres!

I kid, of course! I think I thought I was making some sort of trenchant joke about human fickleness, but I think I just came off misanthropic...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

Does anyone here think they will reach a point when they will stop collecting? Personally I don't think I will.

Viking Spawn

As long as great looking products keep getting released, I don't think I will stop either.  I'm a true kid at heart.   :)

@ Tyrant Queen - I love your signature image!!!   8)

As for my grail piece I'm looking for at the moment....  The BROWN Papo running T-Rex!  I'm willing to pay $$$ if need be too!  Just got to find someone selling one.   :-\

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Viking Spawn on September 03, 2015, 01:49:21 AM
As long as great looking products keep getting released, I don't think I will stop either.  I'm a true kid at heart.   :)

As for my grail piece I'm looking for at the moment....  The BROWN Papo running T-Rex!  I'm willing to pay $$$ if need be too!  Just got to find someone selling one.   :-\
Thanks. :) You'll have a hard time finding a brown running rex unfortunately. It's almost up there with the WWD Ornithocheirus in terms of scarcity. Most people who own one would not part with theirs.

There was a KO released that mimicked the brown colouration pretty well, but being a KO it was inferior quality.

Takama

Im not sure if theirs anything i want really bad now toy wise.  Im selling my once Exclusive models (sold my Tamba Sauropod) But there is one Movie that concerns Dinosaurs that i desperately need.

The BBC production of the Lost World with Bob Hospkins

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on September 03, 2015, 02:17:17 AM
Im not sure if theirs anything i want really bad now toy wise.  Im selling my once Exclusive models (sold my Tamba Sauropod) But there is one Movie that concerns Dinosaurs that i desperately need.

Uhhh..you mean Bob Hoskins?

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 02:19:02 AM

Uhhh..you mean Bob Hoskins?

Yes,    My bad.

Invicta Hunter

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2015, 02:17:06 AM

Thanks. :) You'll have a hard time finding a brown running rex unfortunately. It's almost up there with the WWD Ornithocheirus in terms of scarcity. Most people who own one would not part with theirs.

There was a KO released that mimicked the brown colouration pretty well, but being a KO it was inferior quality.

I still think Papo will end up retiring the green running T-rex and replace it with the brown version.
That's what they did with the green tripod version and the baby so it makes sense that they would do the same with the runner.

Gwangi

Why would you do that? Do you realize how hard it would probably be to require them?

I dunno, personally if I'm going to go out of my way to acquire something and fork over the cash for it then I don't have any intentions of getting rid of it.This is especially true if that item is rare and/or another person had to help me acquire it. To answer TQ's question, "no"...I doubt I will stop collecting. My hobbies aren't generally  passing phases. I've loved dinosaurs since I was three years old (according to mom) and now I'm 31, still in love with dinosaurs.

Viking Spawn

I'll keep hunting.  I've been deciding on whether to post a "bounty" for one.  Just haven't decided on how high of one to set without being too extreme.  But I am willing to pay a reasonable price for one that is well above initial retail.

Viking Spawn

Quote from: Invicta Hunter on September 03, 2015, 03:45:01 AM

I still think Papo will end up retiring the green running T-rex and replace it with the brown version.
That's what they did with the green tripod version and the baby so it makes sense that they would do the same with the runner.

I hope you are right.  But it will probably happen only after I find and pay out for one.  Story of my luck really....   :-\

sauroid

i guess the only ones im pining for right now are the original Battat T. rex and Diplo. im lucky to have some of the figures considered "rare" in the hobby tho. as for quitting, i seriously doubt i will. i love animals and prehistoric life since childhood and it's part of my being, unlike some folks who got into the whole "collecting" thing in their old age.
it saddens me to see some people who are so enthusiastic about collecting only to see them sell off their collection eventually.
btw, i use postsaurischian's collection thread as reference for the most desirable figures to have in the collecting field.  :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on September 03, 2015, 03:59:32 AM

Why would you do that? Do you realize how hard it would probably be to require them?

I dunno, personally if I'm going to go out of my way to acquire something and fork over the cash for it then I don't have any intentions of getting rid of it.This is especially true if that item is rare and/or another person had to help me acquire it. To answer TQ's question, "no"...I doubt I will stop collecting. My hobbies aren't generally  passing phases. I've loved dinosaurs since I was three years old (according to mom) and now I'm 31, still in love with dinosaurs.

Its a matter of space in my house. I live with my Mom, and her boyfriend, and i have one room to myself. The other room is saved for the Kids when they come over every other weekend.   Im commissioning a huge collection of Models to be made by members of our forum. "Why wait years for a company to make a dinosaur they never heard of when you can just have someone make one for you?"

Halichoeres

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 02, 2015, 11:55:00 PM
Does anyone here think they will reach a point when they will stop collecting? Personally I don't think I will.

Interesting question. I doubt it, especially because it seems like there are only going to be more and better dinosaurs to come. But I stopped collecting action figures, for the most part, about 10 years ago and they've all just been sitting in boxes since then. I used to collect safari cards, and I only stopped once I completed the set. I'd happily part with the action figures, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever get rid of the safari cards (except the doubles).

I didn't (re)start collecting dinosaurs until this year, but I have always loved biology and paleontology, so this one will probably stick.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 03, 2015, 05:36:31 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 02, 2015, 11:55:00 PM

Interesting question. I doubt it, especially because it seems like there are only going to be more and better dinosaurs to come. But I stopped collecting action figures, for the most part, about 10 years ago and they've all just been sitting in boxes since then. I used to collect safari cards, and I only stopped once I completed the set. I'd happily part with the action figures, but I sincerely doubt I'll ever get rid of the safari cards (except the doubles).

I didn't (re)start collecting dinosaurs until this year, but I have always loved biology and paleontology, so this one will probably stick.

I know that my collecting has gone through shifts and twists--I started out as a random wahtever-collector (hyenas dominated), then a Schleich collector (I know...), then a prehistoric mammal collector (I did my MSc on prehistoric mammals after all), then a dinosaur/whatever piqued my interest collector (working in a dinosaur museum helped wtih the former; having connections to Japanese models helped with the latter); and now consider myself more oriented to prehistoric things that appeal to me, and freshwater fish (because I like a challenge, I guess). So while I will probably never stop as a collector, I will likely keep changing as to type of collector.

And I have so many rare things--there are many 'sought afters' any more. At least not to the level of many of these. And I did just hunt down an Aqualand Silver Arowana, so I'm good for a while.

amargasaurus cazaui

I developed a sort of wait and see mentality collecting comic books years ago ..I never put myself on the spot that I MUST get this or MUST have that...I just let time and chance roll it by and as I did eventually everything I hoped to get came sooner or later. Applying that to dinosaurs I am mostly only watching for a few figures...Salvat Psittacosaurus, that I felt I had found once, only to be left hanging. A Capcom psittacosaurus would be nice but I refuse to pay the massive prices being asked....again felt I was onboard with one coming once and then told sorry, someone else came first. I also would like to get a starluxe psittacosaurus but have seen one offered before so.....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Georassic

[/quote]

I might be able to help you out there a bit, check my Classifieds Thread. ;)

For me, the ones I'm currently most on the lookout for are the Bullyland Edaphosaurus, the Kaiyodo Meganeura and the older Battats I still need. Most other 'must have' items I've managed to cross off my list by now.
[/quote]
PM'ed you, Roselaar...

Doug Watson

Still looking for the Kaiyodo Dinoland Collection of Natural History Velociraptor and Mosasaurus, only because I let them slip through my fingers when they were new. My goodness didn't anyone buy these, they don't show up anywhere except for a few that showed up MIB on eBay and went for ridiculous money. I would be happy with a couple out of the box gently played with examples!

A non figure item I am still hunting for is the album for the York Peanut Butter Dinosaur cards from the 60s since I had the cards when new and kept only one very worn example. I have picked up a few cards since then but the album eludes me. People want ridiculous money for the album when it comes up so I'll have to outlive my contemporaries and pick one off when their estates get sold and there is no one left from my era to bid against me.

Other than that there are still some William Otto La brea figures, Alva and JH Miller but only to round out the collection they don't consume me.

Dinomike

I'd be happy to obtain the famous Battat diplodocus - old or new. I was once so close to getting one off eBay but I lost the bid by one $. And it sold for cheap!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tyrantqueen

QuoteI know that my collecting has gone through shifts and twists--I started out as a random wahtever-collector (hyenas dominated), then a Schleich collector (I know...), then a prehistoric mammal collector (I did my MSc on prehistoric mammals after all), then a dinosaur/whatever piqued my interest collector (working in a dinosaur museum helped wtih the former; having connections to Japanese models helped with the latter); and now consider myself more oriented to prehistoric things that appeal to me, and freshwater fish (because I like a challenge, I guess). So while I will probably never stop as a collector, I will likely keep changing as to type of collector.

And I have so many rare things--there are many 'sought afters' any more. At least not to the level of many of these. And I did just hunt down an Aqualand Silver Arowana, so I'm good for a while.
Sounds like me. But instead of changing species and companies, I switched between scales. First I started off as a 1:40/1:35 collector, then to a 1:20...and now I don't know :-[ I have some big kits, some toys, and some tiny models. I'll probably just end up buying whatever I like regardless of scale.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: