News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Quote from: Sim on December 26, 2015, 06:59:25 PM
In the first post here, it says the Baryonyx was recently finished.  That was roughly at the same time as when Jurassic World started being shown in cinemas.  What Indominus looked like was known for some time before that though.  I don't remember when Indominus's appearance first became public, but there are posts on this forum from January 2015 which show it's appearance was already known by then.  If the Papo Baryonyx was said to be recently finished in a post from 28 May 2015, it sounds like it was finished some time after the public had already seen the Indominus.

The spikes are different, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Indominus wasn't the reason the Papo Baryonyx has spikes.  It might not have been clear in my previous post, I meant that maybe a reason Papo made a Baryonyx is because Indominus has forelimbs more like those of Baryonyx than those of some other theropods with a head more like Indominus's are believed to have, like Majungasaurus.

Most of the colouration on both the Indominus and the Papo Baryonyx is different shades of grey.  It looks similar to me.  Something doesn't have to be identical to be a source of inspiration.  The Papo Dilophosaurus's colouration isn't identical to either of Sideshow's Dilophosaurus, and the Papo one has spines on its dewlap while the Sideshow ones don't, but I think it's clear the Sideshow Dilophosaurus was inspiration for the Papo Dilophosaurus.

I still disagree about your comment, the sculptor could have started the sculpt beforeany leak of the Indominus look, besides, Indominus became popular whenthe  movie come out, and it´s Now when everyone are making their own version, and the sculpt was finished before the movie came out. So I don´t think it makes sense to have a substitute of a creature that it wasn´t really popular in that time.

Also the size of the figure was determined by the sculptor before we knew anything about Indominus size so, again I find it unlikely.
About the paint job, Im pretty sure that there nothing in common between Bary and Indy.

So I still think is coincidence, but who knows if you are right or I am right.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 26, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
I disagree, I think this is the inspiration the Papo (and Primal Carnage, and Schleich, and Jurassic World JR) Dilophosaurus.

If that Dilophosaurus (the CM Studio one) was inspiration for the Papo Dilophosaurus, that would still support what I said about something not needing to be identical to be inspiration.  There's nothing stopping there being more than one source of inspiration for the Papo Dilophosaurus in any case.  I think the Sideshow Dilophosaurus is definitely a source of inspiration for the Papo figure due to the spines on its neck, the stripes over the leg, and the pattern on the tail being very similar in the Papo and Sideshow Dilophosaurus.  Excluding colouration, the Papo Dilophosaurus's crests are more like the Sideshow's than the CM Studio Dilophosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: MLMjp on December 26, 2015, 08:57:20 PM
I still disagree about your comment, the sculptor could have started the sculpt beforeany leak of the Indominus look, besides, Indominus became popular whenthe  movie come out, and it´s Now when everyone are making their own version, and the sculpt was finished before the movie came out. So I don´t think it makes sense to have a substitute of a creature that it wasn´t really popular in that time.

Also the size of the figure was determined by the sculptor before we knew anything about Indominus size so, again I find it unlikely.
About the paint job, Im pretty sure that there nothing in common between Bary and Indy.

"So I don´t think it makes sense to have a substitute of a creature that it wasn´t really popular in that time."
The Papo Baryonyx is being released in 2016, so at a time when many people have seen Jurassic World and (unfortunately) Indominus has become popular.  Was anyone expecting Indominus to not become popular?  Maybe Papo thought it would be good to make something with similarities to Indominus to appeal to those who liked it/Jurassic World, but that was also different enough to appeal to those who didn't like Indominus.

"Also the size of the figure was determined by the sculptor before we knew anything about Indominus size so, again I find it unlikely."
Was it?  If so, maybe that's why the Papo Baryonyx isn't bigger than the Papo Tyrannosaurus. ;)

"About the paint job, Im pretty sure that there nothing in common between Bary and Indy."
Besides most of their colouration being different shades of grey?

Maybe the similarities are a coincidence, maybe they aren't.  I don't have a strong opinion on this.

MLMjp

Quote from: Sim on December 26, 2015, 09:50:51 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on December 26, 2015, 08:57:20 PM

"So I don´t think it makes sense to have a substitute of a creature that it wasn´t really popular in that time."
The Papo Baryonyx is being released in 2016, so at a time when many people have seen Jurassic World and (unfortunately) Indominus has become popular.  Was anyone expecting Indominus to not become popular?  Maybe Papo thought it would be good to make something with similarities to Indominus to appeal to those who liked it/Jurassic World, but that was also different enough to appeal to those who didn't like Indominus.

"Also the size of the figure was determined by the sculptor before we knew anything about Indominus size so, again I find it unlikely."
Was it?  If so, maybe that's why the Papo Baryonyx isn't bigger than the Papo Tyrannosaurus. ;)

"About the paint job, Im pretty sure that there nothing in common between Bary and Indy."
Besides most of their colouration being different shades of grey?

Maybe the similarities are a coincidence, maybe they aren't.  I don't have a strong opinion on this.

Ok, I just expressed my opinion on the subjet. I don't have anything else to say. To each his own thought and opinions.  :)

suspsy

I don't know if Papo follows the exact same schedule pattern as Safari, but Doug Watson has mentioned on more than one occasion this year that he was working on the models for 2017. I therefore have difficulty believing that Papo only began sculpting the Baryonyx a mere six months ago.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

The Papo Baryonyx looks like the Papo Allosaurus, I don't think the Idominus was a factor. Papo has always sculpted its large theropods like this.

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on December 27, 2015, 01:58:52 AM
I don't know if Papo follows the exact same schedule pattern as Safari, but Doug Watson has mentioned on more than one occasion this year that he was working on the models for 2017. I therefore have difficulty believing that Papo only began sculpting the Baryonyx a mere six months ago.

I did remember what you said about Doug, but I also kept in mind that Papo might not follow the same schedule pattern as Safari.  In any case, there isn't anything stopping aspects of Indominus from being incorporated into the Baryonyx at any point prior to it being completed, is there?

suspsy

I still have difficulty swallowing the notion that Papo would have delayed production up until June 2015 just so they could incorporate the appearance of the Freakosaurus into their Baryonyx. Especially since they've been moving away from that dicey philosophy in recent years. If they really wanted to create a pseudo-Freakosaurus that badly, seems to me they'd release a Giganotosaurus in 2017. That would lend itself to monsterizing far better than Baryonyx.

Anyway, we shall see what the final product is like. I'll definitely be buying it. As I've said before, it fails as a real animal, but it makes a great monster. It's easily superior to the Spinosaurus.

dinosaurdungeon

Looks like the I Rex and blue are coming soon!

LophoLeeVT

well that is just a modding of the papo spino and a repAint of the new raptor.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

suspsy

That photo is clearly fake. And on the VERY off-chance that it isn't, the first people in line to buy those toys will be Hasbro's lawyers.

Takama

I have to admit.

Thats better then the **** that Hasbro made for the movie

stargatedalek

The Indominus seems to be the one from the JW box set, I assume Blue is a custom but if it weren't it would be the first featherless Papo raptor I buy.

dinosaurdungeon

That sucks. I seem it on the papoose Mexico Facebook page.

Viking Spawn

sauroid

would Papo be able to afford the license fee for a huge property like JP?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: sauroid on December 29, 2015, 07:15:56 AM
would Papo be able to afford the license fee for a huge property like JP?

They do have Zorro figures I've seen.

CityRaptor

But is Zorro ( and their other licenses ) as big as JW? Also thought that Zorro was public domain.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

I guess what is said by dr jre77 the feast of the Holy Innocents.

Now I would like a indomimus rex by Papo, although I am rather in favor of scientific figures, not monsters.

Dilopho

Why has the Indominus got a huge growth coming out of its foot? I can't figure out what that is!!!
But the figure is not papo.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: