News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LophoLeeVT

maybe they thought the running rainbow one would fit woth the excluysive sitting one....
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RolandEden on December 24, 2015, 01:49:49 AM
Looks like green running t-rex wont be retired yet. But why the same mold with different colours?

I also thought that Roland, the truth is that it has changed the physiognomy of the face.

I understand as seen in the photos tyrannosaurus head jaw varies especially with respect to the other tyrannosaurus rex, so maybe it is new and is perhaps the reason that the green tyrannosaurus rex run has not retired yet.

Moodyraptor

Maybe they're waiting to see how popular the new one is before they retire the old one?  They overlapped the sitting green and brown rexes too IIRC. 

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 24, 2015, 04:45:10 PM
Maybe they're waiting to see how popular the new one is before they retire the old one?  They overlapped the sitting green and brown rexes too IIRC.

The only problem I see with that is that it doesn't make much sense to retie the old rex. For the most part you can pair the running green rex with the standing brown and it will seem like a good mix but having the rainbow rex next to the standing brown rex(because the majority of people probably won't have the rainbow standing rex)would just seem odd. I think there gonna keep the green and the rainbow rex will be sold for a limited time....maybe

sauroid

hmmm imagine Papo making an accurate feathered T. rex... exciting thought
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: sauroid on December 24, 2015, 05:48:33 PM

I think I'm one of the few people that still think t rexs didn't have feathers.... I'm not uneducated like i know the chances of them having feathers is like almost certain but hey.... thats just me

Dilopho

Quote from: imnewhere on December 24, 2015, 08:14:24 PM
Quote from: sauroid on December 24, 2015, 05:48:33 PM

I think I'm one of the few people that still think t rexs didn't have feathers.... I'm not uneducated like i know the chances of them having feathers is like almost certain but hey.... thats just me
Well, they probably didn't have much. Look at the collecta figure- only a light covering. No wings or long tailfeathers or anything.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Dilopho on December 24, 2015, 08:27:05 PM
Well, they probably didn't have much. Look at the collecta figure- only a light covering. No wings or long tailfeathers or anything.

Yea if anything they would have feathers maybe on their backs basically because we have found scale imprints from t rex and I'm pretty sure the scales were around the rib cage (I might have that wrong) but my opinion is why would it even need feathers if there only covering the back of the animal???

dragon53

The Papo Baryonyx looks like it was designed by Roger Corman for the Syfy tv movie BARYONYX VS KAPROSUCHUS.

Dilopho

Quote from: imnewhere on December 24, 2015, 09:57:28 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on December 24, 2015, 08:27:05 PM

Yea if anything they would have feathers maybe on their backs basically because we have found scale imprints from t rex and I'm pretty sure the scales were around the rib cage (I might have that wrong) but my opinion is why would it even need feathers if there only covering the back of the animal???
Probably for either warmth or for display (showing off to females and rivals).

Libraraptor

Moodyraptor

The more I look at Baryonyx, the more I think I have to own it because it's just so unique and bizarre.  I'm going to put it on the shelf next to Invicta Baryonyx so they can laugh at each other.

Dilopho

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 25, 2015, 07:23:36 PM
Terrible Baryonyx. I am upset.
There's no need to be upset. If you don't like it, then just don't buy it! Don't let it make you sad!
The only thing wrong with it seems to be an awkward pose. Surely some hot water could fix that?

Arul

Quote from: Dilopho on December 25, 2015, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on December 25, 2015, 07:23:36 PM
Terrible Baryonyx. I am upset.
There's no need to be upset. If you don't like it, then just don't buy it! Don't let it make you sad!
The only thing wrong with it seems to be an awkward pose. Surely some hot water could fix that?
Im upset too :( i wish i could get a very good baryo replica to collect from a company like papo

Sim

In the 2016 Papo catalogue (http://www.papo-france.com/catalogue/2016/index.html) on pages 56 and 57, the way the "Velociraptor" figures are placed around the Baryonyx reminds me of the scene in Jurassic World with the "Velociraptors" and the Indominus in the forest.  It also reminds me of official Jurassic World artwork featuring the "Velociraptors" and the Indominus, like this: http://www.mcm.fr/jurassic-world-images-inedites-posters-le-plein-de-visuels-galerie-1577623-2726020.html

Even before seeing the Papo 2016 catalogue it's seemed to me the Indominus could be some of the inspiration for the Papo Baryonyx.
-They have similar colouration.
-They both have spikes on the top of their bodies.  In the Baryonyx it looks absurd, it looks like it has sharp rocks growing out of the top of its body.
-They both have long forelimbs with long claws.
-They both look like movie monsters.
If the Papo Baryonyx is as big as the adult Papo "Tyrannosaurus" figures, it may have been made so big to make it more like an Indominus replacement for Papo.

I know Papo treats prehistoric animals like fantasy creatures, but I was still surprised to see them refer to Tyrannosaurus as "T-Rex" in the catalogue.

suspsy

I don't suppose we have the dimensions for the Baryonyx?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: Sim on December 26, 2015, 04:44:48 PM
In the 2016 Papo catalogue (http://www.papo-france.com/catalogue/2016/index.html) on pages 56 and 57, the way the "Velociraptor" figures are placed around the Baryonyx reminds me of the scene in Jurassic World with the "Velociraptors" and the Indominus in the forest.  It also reminds me of official Jurassic World artwork featuring the "Velociraptors" and the Indominus, like this: http://www.mcm.fr/jurassic-world-images-inedites-posters-le-plein-de-visuels-galerie-1577623-2726020.html

Even before seeing the Papo 2016 catalogue it's seemed to me the Indominus was possibly some of the inspiration for the Papo Baryonyx.
-They have similar colouration.
-They both have spikes on the top of their bodies.  In the Baryonyx it looks absurd, it looks like it has sharp rocks growing out of the top of its body.
-They both have long forelimbs with long claws.
-They both look like movie monsters.
If the Papo Baryonyx is as big as the adult Papo "Tyrannosaurus" figures, it may have been made so big to make it more like an Indominus replacement for Papo.

I know Papo treats prehistoric animals like fantasy creatures, but I was still surprised to see them refer to Tyrannosaurus as "T-Rex" in the catalogue.

I think the sculptor finished this figure before Jurassic world came out. The shape of the spikes and their distribution is diferent, Indominus spikes look more like Carnotaurus spikes and Baryonyx has spikes that resembles the papo Allosaurus spikes. About the arms... Baryonyx actually have some powerfull arms I believe.

Also, where do you see similar coloration? Indominus rex was greyish white, Baryonyx is brownish grey with some orange parts. How is that similar??
Soo.. I disagree in your comparison. I think the "monster look" is just a coincidence

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: imnewhere on December 24, 2015, 09:57:28 PM

Personally I find the intermediate of having just some feathers on the back, tail etc. to be a bit hard to swallow, it seems much more plausible and looks much more aesthetically pleasing to either have almost total bird-like coverage, or no feathers at all. As you say, it just doesn't make much sense that if the animal had fully formed feathers that they would just sit on it's back as though it's wearing a skimpy fur jacket.

Sim

In the first post here, it says the Baryonyx was recently finished.  That was roughly at the same time as when Jurassic World started being shown in cinemas.  What Indominus looked like was known for some time before that though.  I don't remember when Indominus's appearance first became public, but there are posts on this forum from January 2015 which show it's appearance was already known by then.  If the Papo Baryonyx was said to be recently finished in a post from 28 May 2015, it sounds like it was finished some time after the public had already seen the Indominus.

The spikes are different, but that doesn't necessarily mean the Indominus wasn't the reason the Papo Baryonyx has spikes.  It might not have been clear in my previous post, I meant that maybe a reason Papo made a Baryonyx is because Indominus has forelimbs more like those of Baryonyx than those of some other theropods with a head more like Indominus's are believed to have, like Majungasaurus.

Most of the colouration on both the Indominus and the Papo Baryonyx is different shades of grey.  It looks similar to me.  Something doesn't have to be identical to be a source of inspiration.  The Papo Dilophosaurus's colouration isn't identical to either of Sideshow's Dilophosaurus, and the Papo one has spines on its dewlap while the Sideshow ones don't, but I think it's clear the Sideshow Dilophosaurus was inspiration for the Papo Dilophosaurus.

stargatedalek

I disagree, I think this is the inspiration the Papo (and Primal Carnage, and Schleich, and Jurassic World JR) Dilophosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: