News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dobber on February 23, 2016, 11:17:12 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on February 22, 2016, 09:38:44 PM
Please post pics of your Barys
No,you can't turn that model into a Spinosaurus because Spinosaurus had very short limbs and had a sail with a dip in the middle.

I am aware of the sail, that is why I asked if anything else was MISSING. The Bary hind limbs on the PAPO figure aren't very large either. Not tiny like some of the new Spino reconstructions, but not massive like originally thought.

I agree with what another review stated, some of the size proportions for this new figure do seem a bit off. The head is pretty large, proportionally speaking, with the rest of the body. My main complaint are the fore limbs. It's just something about them....probably the pose and also the size of them...they are quite large. It really is a double standard with this figure. On the one hand, I give points to PAPO for making an original pose....something unique. However, it is the pose that really hurts this figure IMO, it just looks odd. Probably because there are no existing animals to compair to so it just looks so strange. Still a very nice figure that is beautifully detailed, but it is such a shame that, like Rebor, PAPO has so much talent in the detail, sculpting, and generally finish of their figures, that they seem to ignore even some basic accuracy that even some cursory research would reveal and give a more accurate animal that would still look cool.

Chris

The arms are pretty correct..at least if it were a Spinosaurus. I just built two 1:1 arms for ours and they are huge..well muscled and thick looking from the side. About the length of the skull as well.

Looking at this image :

The body appears too small for the shoulders up to the head.

Compare it against the Sideshow Spino which I think is pretty similar in some aspects..other parts remind me of the Carnotaurus...

I know this isn't supposed to be a Spinosaurus..but honestly it looks pretty much like one as we've discussed before.  Just trying to get in the artist's head a bit and see his inspiration and intent.

suspsy

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is one awesome monster, but a pretty poor dinosaur.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2016, 08:35:02 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is one awesome monster, but a pretty poor dinosaur.

I totally agree with you more baryonyx enters into the logic of fantasy world in the same factory in the world of the dinosaurs.

They could add fire in the mouth and a second head. That's not a dinosaur is a monster.

waste_management

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 24, 2016, 01:12:54 AM
My only concern is the stability, hope I'll get one that can stand on its feet like those in the previous pics. And that is not a temporary condition, as it was with my running t-rex. At least with this Baryonyx there's the tail as a support.

well to my suprise the figure is very stable and well balanced...unlike my spinosaurus that has these giant feet and still keeps falling down  ;)

CityRaptor

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 23, 2016, 09:03:55 PM
They could add fire in the mouth and a second head. That's not a dinosaur is a monster.

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 23, 2016, 09:03:55 PM

I totally agree with you more baryonyx enters into the logic of fantasy world in the same factory in the world of the dinosaurs.

Well, this is Papo we're talking about here.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

empire3569

Regardless of all the anatomical inaccuracies, I think the Baryonyx is my new favorite Papo therapod, and is very close to being my all time favorite Papo (which is currently their Apatosaurus). The detail is just incredible,  and that lunging pose and color scheme seals the deal. If I had a little extra cash I would get a second one and build a river diorama. Maybe someday  :P

empire3569

Quote from: Dobber on February 22, 2016, 09:33:57 PM
I got my Bary today too.  ^-^

I'm very pleased with it. I only got to look at it briefly though. It seems to stand just fine on it's 2 legs. I'm tempted to get a second and try and make it a Spino. Is the sail the only thing missing for the PAPO figure to be a Spino?

Chris

I would encourage you to try that, I'm very curious to see what it would look like!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 25, 2016, 12:50:03 AM
If anyone's going to customize this figure as a Spinosaurus try to make it look like this:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51bf1cd3e4b0a897bf54112b/51c0abbde4b0d73628425955/51cce3f6e4b080d01938c7fc/1372382219166/Spinosaurus.jpg

instead of this:

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/dinosaur/spinosaurus/spinosaurus-illustration.jpg
Why deliberately make it outdated? Other than because editing the legs is a lot of additional work and honestly if that's the reason I say go for it.

Both of those reconstructions are way thin (the bottom one in particular always makes my back ache :P) and would benefit from meeting halfway with the Papo Baryonyx.

Simon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 25, 2016, 01:01:26 AM
Quote from: Charlie P. on February 25, 2016, 12:50:03 AM
If anyone's going to customize this figure as a Spinosaurus try to make it look like this:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51bf1cd3e4b0a897bf54112b/51c0abbde4b0d73628425955/51cce3f6e4b080d01938c7fc/1372382219166/Spinosaurus.jpg

instead of this:

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/dinosaur/spinosaurus/spinosaurus-illustration.jpg
Why deliberately make it outdated? Other than because editing the legs is a lot of additional work and honestly if that's the reason I say go for it.

Both of those reconstructions are way thin (the bottom one in particular always makes my back ache :P) and would benefit from meeting halfway with the Papo Baryonyx.

*Oh My EYES! Can't UN-SEE!! AAARRGH*   ;)

I clicked on the second link after viewing the sublime lines of the first reconstruction!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm thinking of customizing it..just need to see it in person first.

Dan

Arul

Finally...a very good quality video show us how the baryo actually looks like. Thank you Dan :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol good video Dan! That gave me a laugh or two!

teddybier

I've just been told by a Dutch shop that 'the other dinosaurs' will be available as of tomorrow. Not sure if she meant all the Papo's though.

Victoria's Cantina

Eh. Not really sure how I feel about Bary Bite. On one hand, it's neat to have a new, large theropod dinosaur that will spruce up my Papo shelf with its size and color. But on the other, I'm just not really feeling it.

Saurox

Quote from: teddybier on February 26, 2016, 09:43:10 AM
I've just been told by a Dutch shop that 'the other dinosaurs' will be available as of tomorrow. Not sure if she meant all the Papo's though.

Well Everything dinosaur claim that the feathered Velociraptor won't be on sale via their website until June. So unless they have been all of a sudden cast low down in the pecking order for dino distribution (unlikely) I would assume that 'she' was mistaken?   

LophoLeeVT

Well i think the baryonyx lacks paint on the torso.
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

JurassicGeek09

Quote from: Dan on February 26, 2016, 07:59:28 AM
https://youtu.be/Y3hMTgR_hGE

After watching your video, I'm not sure I still want one. It's through no fault of yours, good Sir! Just...I dunno, seeing it in "action", suddenly makes it look not so impressive.
To view my collection pieces, check me out at: http://www.instagram.com/jurassicgeek09

suspsy

Watched the video. Man, if only that toy had a sail on its back and was called Spinosaurus, it'd be freaking awesome.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: