News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire3569

Quote from: suspsy on February 27, 2016, 01:08:29 AM
Watched the video. Man, if only that toy had a sail on its back and was called Spinosaurus, it'd be freaking awesome.

How tough do you think that modification would be? I've thought the same thing

stargatedalek

Quote from: Simon on February 25, 2016, 02:26:52 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 25, 2016, 01:01:26 AM
Quote from: Charlie P. on February 25, 2016, 12:50:03 AM
If anyone's going to customize this figure as a Spinosaurus try to make it look like this:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51bf1cd3e4b0a897bf54112b/51c0abbde4b0d73628425955/51cce3f6e4b080d01938c7fc/1372382219166/Spinosaurus.jpg

instead of this:

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/dinosaur/spinosaurus/spinosaurus-illustration.jpg
Why deliberately make it outdated? Other than because editing the legs is a lot of additional work and honestly if that's the reason I say go for it.

Both of those reconstructions are way thin (the bottom one in particular always makes my back ache :P) and would benefit from meeting halfway with the Papo Baryonyx.

*Oh My EYES! Can't UN-SEE!! AAARRGH*   ;)

I clicked on the second link after viewing the sublime lines of the first reconstruction!!
No offense to the artists but neither of those are very well done. The top one has it's ribs showing and both of them have no flesh on their sails at all.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: masakira on February 26, 2016, 01:22:11 PM
Quote from: teddybier on February 26, 2016, 09:43:10 AM
I've just been told by a Dutch shop that 'the other dinosaurs' will be available as of tomorrow. Not sure if she meant all the Papo's though.

Well Everything dinosaur claim that the feathered Velociraptor won't be on sale via their website until June. So unless they have been all of a sudden cast low down in the pecking order for dino distribution (unlikely) I would assume that 'she' was mistaken?
June?!  When they first talked about it, they were saying February, whyyyy?!  I neeeeeed it! :(
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

MLMjp

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 27, 2016, 08:20:21 AM
Quote from: teddybier on February 26, 2016, 09:43:10 AM
I've just been told by a Dutch shop that 'the other dinosaurs' will be available as of tomorrow. Not sure if she meant all the Papo's though.

Well Everything dinosaur claim that the feathered Velociraptor won't be on sale via their website until June. So unless they have been all of a sudden cast low down in the pecking order for dino distribution (unlikely) I would assume that 'she' was mistaken?
June?!  When they first talked about it, they were saying February, whyyyy?!  I neeeeeed it! :(

Yes! They said it will be part of the first quarter of the year releases along with the Bary and T.rex repaint!! When/where has everything dinosaur claimed that?? :o
Please don't delay the T.rex repaint.......

Shonisaurus

However the prices are prohibitive. As already mentioned have to wait until prices settle down, before buying the other hand baryonxy the tyrannosaurus rex Kaprosuchus and running are also very expensive.

I guess the only explanation for these high prices depends on the size of the figures not in vain baryonyx is 16 centimeters high by 29 centimeters long.

Silvanusaurus

I got Mr Barry Onyx today! I love the figure overall, but the softness of the head is kind of strange... it does actually appear to have an underbite until the mouth is fully closed, when the two jaws flex into each other in an even position... I do think Papo should have gone with a more traditional pose, in which case it would have been perfect, but it's beautifully sculpted nonetheless. Anyway, here he is amongst some of his brethren:

And for fun I've been taking some photos to play into the comments that his pose makes him look like a kaiju...

Many more photos in my collection thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4336.msg130878#msg130878

Shonisaurus

Silvisaurus thanks for the photos. Apart from all reflect what the baryonyx a monster movie, own films Godzilla or King Kong.

I'm hesitant to buy this figure, even after claims outstanding paleontologist my nation on Papo figures already mentioned in past messages.

Surely only I buy the feathered velociraptor, the Kaprosuchus and vastatosaurus (tyrannosaurus rex running) with its new format painting.

Silvanusaurus

Depsite not minding the pose of the Baryonyx, the longer I looked at it, the less appealing it looked to me... I'm all for dynamism in dinosaur figures, but it just kind of looks really odd to me when placed on a shelf with other figures. So i decided to try and do something about it, and after some hot and cold water, I bent the angles of the legs, and now it's in a much more natural horizontal pose, that personally I think looks more dynamic, as though he's stalking something intently... The compromise is that he doesn't stand up now without support, but that's pretty easy to work around, he only needs something propping him up under the hand or stomach, and I think it was well worth it...

The best thing is, it was incredibly easy and took less than 5 minutes, and there was no concern about trying to resculpt anything to match the existing details! Anyway, I'm so much happier with how he looks now!  8)
Still thinking about whether to repaint him or not.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: MLMjp on February 27, 2016, 10:58:25 AM
Yes! They said it will be part of the first quarter of the year releases along with the Bary and T.rex repaint!! When/where has everything dinosaur claimed that?? :o
I sent an email to Mike to check on this and he assured me that the feathered Velociraptor is due in 1st Quarter along with the Baryonyyx and Rainbow Running T-rex, though he expects to get Bary first.  Masakira, I think you're confusing the date or the green Velociraptor repaint, which is due around June/July.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 28, 2016, 03:04:52 PM

The best thing is, it was incredibly easy and took less than 5 minutes, and there was no concern about trying to resculpt anything to match the existing details! Anyway, I'm so much happier with how he looks now!  8)

Big improvement, glad to see it's so easy. I'll be trying something similar when I get mine.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

empire3569

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 28, 2016, 03:04:52 PM
Depsite not minding the pose of the Baryonyx, the longer I looked at it, the less appealing it looked to me... I'm all for dynamism in dinosaur figures, but it just kind of looks really odd to me when placed on a shelf with other figures. So i decided to try and do something about it, and after some hot and cold water, I bent the angles of the legs, and now it's in a much more natural horizontal pose, that personally I think looks more dynamic, as though he's stalking something intently... The compromise is that he doesn't stand up now without support, but that's pretty easy to work around, he only needs something propping him up under the hand or stomach, and I think it was well worth it...

I like it! Although if I were you I would also try to reposition the arms to be more in line with the body, the "airplane arms" it has now look good with the lunging pose but not with your new, more natural pose

Silvanusaurus

I did have a go at bending the arms but I didn't like how they looked. Personally I think they are perfect as they are, as combined with the flexing of the feet and the outstretched head, the arms make him look as though he's right on the verge of launching into an attack... it actually looks like the moment just before he reaches the original upright 'rearing' pose, which I find visually much more exciting. There's a really great sense of latent energy waiting to explode in some furious heavy-clawed manner. I am thinking I might get another one to customise into a much more placid pose though, with the arms more relaxed...

Dobber

I like it a lot too. Great work! Did you bend at the knee's or lower by the ankle.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Dobber on February 28, 2016, 05:30:25 PM
I like it a lot too. Great work! Did you bend at the knee's or lower by the ankle.

Chris

At the ankle, which was where it naturally bent when I pushed it down into the new pose.

Viking Spawn

That Baryonyx looks unique without a doubt!  I will get this when the Rainbow Rex comes out and make it a bundle package!  Can't wait to photograph these when I do!

pylraster

I think one of the main problems with this baryonyx... it's the paint. It looks glossy... and I think it could benefit from a heavier wash. I feel it's like the Papo Dilo. :(

terrorchicken

so if the Carnegie Bary is 1:40 scale what scale is the Papo? 1:30? 1:20?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: pylraster on February 28, 2016, 08:55:41 PM
I think one of the main problems with this baryonyx... it's the paint. It looks glossy... and I think it could benefit from a heavier wash. I feel it's like the Papo Dilo. :(
I forgive the Dilo by justifying that it would've lived in a humid climate and might had moisture clinging to the scales at times.  Dunno if that justification would work for a Baryonyx though.

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 28, 2016, 10:18:05 PM
Quote from: pylraster on February 28, 2016, 08:55:41 PM
I forgive the Dilo by justifying that it would've lived in a humid climate and might had moisture clinging to the scales at times.  Dunno if that justification would work for a Baryonyx though.

Well, fishing can be a splashy business.   ;)

Saurox

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on February 28, 2016, 04:00:18 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on February 27, 2016, 10:58:25 AM
I sent an email to Mike to check on this and he assured me that the feathered Velociraptor is due in 1st Quarter along with the Baryonyyx and Rainbow Running T-rex, though he expects to get Bary first.  Masakira, I think you're confusing the date or the green Velociraptor repaint, which is due around June/July.

It was in a Facebook post feature pics of both raptors. You're probably right that the June date  only refers to the green repaint. I just made the assumption because they posted pictures of both at the same time.  O:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: