News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New For 2016 pics on pg1

Started by Saurox, October 02, 2015, 03:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurox

Quote from: Dobber on March 05, 2016, 11:37:47 PM
Has Papo ever made any other official repaint reissues besides the Rex's and Velocirators? I'm not counting the  variations that happen when the paint changes slightly due to whatever reason that seems to happen. I'd love an Allosaurus reissue with better coloring as all the Allosaurus's that I have owned or seen in person have lousy paint apps compaired to the early releases.  :(

Chris

Stegosaurus.

Saurox

Dobber

Nice! While I agree that that does look completely different, was it intentional? As in did Papo announce it as a new repaint edition like they have for the Rex and Raptor. If you look at the green pattern on both the Stego's the look like they are supposed to be the same just one has a more vibrant color than the other. The out side of the plates are also very different but the inside looks the same. I just think that was something that changed during the production runs like some thing was forgotten on one or overdone on another. Not arguing, just wanting to know if it was intentional  or not.  ;)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shadowknight1

I know how you feel.  I'm waiting as patiently as possible for the feathered raptor.  Luckily in hand pictures of that one haven't started showing up or I'd be tempted to try my darndest to get a hold of it even though ED is going to reserve one for me.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: masakira on March 06, 2016, 12:41:37 AM

I think this is the only way these are now being made. I got mine a couple years ago and it looks like this... the green may be slightly more subtle, and it has dark brown ovals painted into the plates.

Saurox

I don't think it's an official variant. Usually the greenier version is sold now with the darker o e being the stock photo.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 05, 2016, 12:38:35 AMCould be interesting only if they don't go camo extreme like they did with the rexes.

I would actually quite enjoy that, the more vibrant the better!

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Charlie P. on March 09, 2016, 01:22:04 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 08, 2016, 07:17:29 PM
Quote from: Charlie P. on March 05, 2016, 12:38:35 AMCould be interesting only if they don't go camo extreme like they did with the rexes.

There's already Hasbro doing lysergic dinosaurs, I'd like Papo to stick to more natural colours.

Hasbro and Papo simply don't compare. It is like saying to someone who wants teriyaki chicken to eat a raw rat.

suspsy

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 09, 2016, 03:24:37 AM
Quote from: Charlie P. on March 09, 2016, 01:22:04 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on March 08, 2016, 07:17:29 PM

There's already Hasbro doing lysergic dinosaurs, I'd like Papo to stick to more natural colours.

Hasbro and Papo simply don't compare. It is like saying to someone who wants teriyaki chicken to eat a raw rat.

Indeed. The T. rex repaints and the Baryonyx are a most welcome change from years of dull green or brown or grey.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Except that for the most part Hasbro's paint schemes are still rather bland. Yes we got one or two bright ones, and more coming, but the vast majority were even blander than most Papo. Half of the JW line is grey, brown, green, or white, hardly "an LSD trip".

And as for "natural colours" Papo is quite the opposite. Papo bases their colours on large modern megafauna which leads to their being very drab and toned down. This was most likely not true of dinosaurs because of firstly the way bird and crocodile eyes work, they can see more colours than mammals (birds can see more than us and we have very good colour vision as far as mammals go). An elephant or rhinoceros simply won't benefit from evolving bright display colours as neither they nor their predators (ignoring humans) can see them. A sauropod however could probably see in colour, and theropods definitely could, so it would most likely benefit from display patterns.

Secondly we often tend to imagine everything as being super-sized during the mesozoic but that just wasn't true, these animals were still living in the same world we are and an animal the size of a house probably wasn't going to be very well camouflaged no matter what colour it was.

CityRaptor

I agree. Plates, frills, feathers etc all have at least additional display functions. And if we take nature into account, mammals are probably the plainest when it comes to colors. There are colorfol species among  fish, amphibians, reptiles and birds. And that are just the vertebrates. Only mammals are limited to brownish, greyish colors for the most part. And then there are mandrills. To quote Darwin "no other member in the whole class of mammals is coloured in so extraordinary a manner as the adult male mandrill's".

While Hasbro has some more colorful figures among their mostly blanders ones, they only really go on LSD trips when it comes to Hybrids. As did Kenner with the Chaos Effect line.
Oh no

Halichoeres

More than that, diapsids are capable of manufacturing a much wider range of pigments than mammals, which really only have a couple different flavors of melanin at their disposal. Feathers also have the additional potential of structural coloration, which increases the color range of at least the paravians (I don't pretend to know what more basal coelurosaurians were capable of). The Mesozoic, to a human eye, might well have looked like an acid trip.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kovu

First off, apologies for the picture overload...
That being said, wouldn't size play in though? Large-bodied animals do tend to be duller in color than smaller ones, even birds. Just for kicks, I went and looked up the largest birds and they do tend to be somewhat more muted than their smaller counterparts. I wouldn't call any of these particularly flashy... Would it be unrealistic to assume dinosaurs followed similar trends, with smaller dinosaurs being more vibrant and larger ones more muted? I'm just curious.

Ostrich:

Cassowary:

Emu:

Emperor Penguins:

Kori Bustard:

Great Bustard:

Andean Condor:

Dalmatian Pelican (I can 100% see a spinosaur colored like this):

And same goes with reptiles. Some of the larger monitor lizards do have intricate patterns, but the colors are again mostly the same shades of browns, blacks, grays and yellows.

Saltwater Crocodile:

Leatherback:

Green Sea Turtle:

Galapagos Tortoise:

Green Anaconda:

Komodo Dragon:

White-Throated Monitor Lizard:

Nile Monitor:

Perentie:

The large birds and reptiles remind me of mammalian patterns, particularly ungulates like antelopes, zebra, giraffes and okapis and even Asian Elephants, which can have some pretty cool pigmentation. Obviously, biologically, dinosaurs are more like birds and reptiles than mammals, but, these particular mammal colors blend in pretty well with the above birds and reptiles.

Giant Sable Antelope:

Giant Eland:

Asian Elephant:

Okapi:

Giraffe:

Grevy's Zebra:

Sichuan Takin:

So yeah, I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means, I'm just trying to figure it out for myself. But, would it be unreasonable to assume that larger dinosaurs looked more like larger birds and reptiles in that they had muted colors with less vibrant patterns, while smaller dinosaurs were more bird-of-paradise? So like:

Tyrannosaurus: Emu
Suchomimus: Dalmatian Pelican
Ankylosaurus: Green Sea Turtle
Oviraptor: Spix's Macaw
Psittacosaurus: Tokay Gecko
Guanlong: Oriole

Obviously, I'm not saying the same patterns evolved twice in totally separate species. I'm just using them as examples. Also, considering some antelopes are pretty vibrant, would it be unrealistic to use the Giant Sable Antelope, Okapi, Eland or Giraffe as possible models for hadrosaurs or sauropods? I'm just asking and trying to understand the best way to represent these animals in paintings and drawings.

But yeah, just my two cents. As always, do with it what you will. 

AcroSauroTaurus

As far as we know, any colors are possible, even those Chaos Effect and CamoExtreme colors. And given how intricate and bright most birds are I wouldn't be surprised if some dinosaurs had Chaos Effect/CamoExtreme colors.
I am the Dinosaur King!

CityRaptor

The colors chosen by Papo are still not comparable with the Chaos Effect ones, given that they are far more subtle.

I would consider birds like the Cassowary "flashy" with the big crest, blue head and glossy black feathers.
Oh no

suspsy

You're like so many other human beings, Kovu, allowing your imagination to be limited by the organisms surrounding you today. Our present day world is not the world of dinosaurs. They're under no obligation to adhere by the natural colour restrictions on mammals or select birds.

Personally, I'd love it if Papo ditched its old colour schemes entirely.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Viking Spawn

I understand the point he is trying to make.  Everyone wants accuracy here and he's going by the blue print of the animal kingdom that works today which may or may not have started in prehistory. 

The fact of the matter is, we will never know what they really looked like in the flesh.  Hence, that's where the imagination comes into play.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Kovu on March 10, 2016, 02:23:33 AM
Cassowary:
Emperor Penguins:

Kori Bustard:

Great Bustard:

Andean Condor:

Dalmatian Pelican (I can 100% see a spinosaur colored like this):

Saltwater Crocodile:

Leatherback:

Green Sea Turtle:

Green Anaconda:

White-Throated Monitor Lizard:

Nile Monitor:

Perentie:

Okapi:

Giraffe:

Grevy's Zebra:

I would consider all of those more vibrant than most Paposaurs. Papo isn't only using dull shades of brown and green to decorate their dinosaurs, but they also have almost no patterns. I would love more colorful dinosaurs by Papo, CamoXtreme is probably my favorite line of the Jurassic Park franchise. A canyon T. rex or a Jungle Spinosaurus-like color scheme on their models would be a sure-fired way to get my money.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: