News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - new for 2016

Started by tyrantqueen, October 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Quote from: Viking Spawn on October 20, 2015, 09:36:16 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 20, 2015, 08:45:55 PM
For me it doesn't matter who their target audience is, their products are simply below par, no justification will make me see them as anything but. Safari caters to the exact same target audience, but their products are better researched, better plastic, and cheaper. Of course non of that compares to their business practices, actively pressuring retailers not to stock their competitors and completely and literally obscuring their competition from the market, that is enough to make me feel a slight tinge whenever I buy Schleich.

Oh really? I was unaware that Schleich did this which would explain why I only see Schleich products dominating the stores in my region.  Which stinks for people like me.   :-\
that is Schleich's marketing scheme all over the world
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Sim

For me it doesn't matter who their target audience is, their products are simply below par, no justification will make me see them as anything but. Safari caters to the exact same target audience, but their products are better researched, better plastic, and cheaper. Of course non of that compares to their business practices, actively pressuring retailers not to stock their competitors and completely and literally obscuring their competition from the market, that is enough to make me feel a slight tinge whenever I buy Schleich.

Oh really? I was unaware that Schleich did this which would explain why I only see Schleich products dominating the stores in my region.  Which stinks for people like me.   :-\

I agree with stargatedalek.  Reasons like the ones she mentioned, are what I was referring to when I said Schleich has been such an unpleasant company, earlier in this thread.  To see more, see Reply #594 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2631.msg81732#msg81732 and the thread linked to in that reply!

suspsy

Yeah. It's why I refuse to buy Schleich out of principle. I wouldn't even buy their stuff for someone else.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

I didn't know about all that, thanks for the links, Sim. Damned shame.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Rain

Schleich does that? Well, now I feel even less inclined to pick up their figures.

The overstocked schleichs don't appear to be a issue here in Toronto, Papo seems to be dominating toy stores for us.

Viking Spawn

Wow!  I learned a lot from reading this thread.  Thanks for sharing this info.  Now its clear why I see more of their products than any other company.   :-[

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Sim on October 20, 2015, 09:59:28 PM

I agree with stargatedalek.  Reasons like the ones she mentioned, are what I was referring to when I said Schleich has been such an unpleasant company, earlier in this thread.  To see more, see Reply #594 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2631.msg81732#msg81732 and the thread linked to in that reply!
Oof, normally I don't blanket boycott a company or product because of business practices(if I did, I would probably have far fewer video games), but reading a little snippet of that makes me almost regret having a pair of Schleich dragons on my shelf.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 20, 2015, 10:44:08 PM
Yeah. It's why I refuse to buy Schleich out of principle. I wouldn't even buy their stuff for someone else.
Agree 100%. When I was working in retail not too long ago, Schleich was so aggressive in trying to make the store only stock their figures it was disgusting!
Where I live, only one local toy store still stock other brands like Safari and Papo, and not Schleich, which is good to see. I guess Schleich want all or nothing these days.
Main reason I have not really gotten any of their figures in the last few years.

ItsTwentyBelow

Don't you live in the Seattle area, Boki? There are numerous toy stores that have a great Safari or Papo selection in the area. Top Ten Toys in Ballard has the best Safari selection I have ever seen. Their HUGE display is overflowing with every current modern and prehistoric animal figure, including the prehistoric trees. Last time I was there they were still well stocked with almost every Carnegie figure too. Clover Toys, also in Ballard, stocks only Papo (got my woolly rhino there).

Kent Teaching and Toys (in Kent of course) has a good Safari display, then there's Teaching Toys and Books in Tacoma that always stocks Safari. White Horse Toys in Issaquah used to have a good Safari selection but lately whenever I go in there I do mostly see just Schleich, and some Papo. I always bug them to order more from their Safari catalog whenever I'm in there.

You just gotta get out there!

Shonisaurus

What arrogance of Schleich. At least Rebor do worthy things.

The smart is not to buy these products from both brands. No one deserves that they insult him for criticizing as the Schleich figures infumables.

pylraster

Yeah. It's a bit sickening here. Schleich tends to dominate, up to the point where the local retailer argued with me and said "Schleich is way better than Papo".

Shonisaurus

Quote from: pylraster on November 01, 2015, 02:01:18 AM
Yeah. It's a bit sickening here. Schleich tends to dominate, up to the point where the local retailer argued with me and said "Schleich is way better than Papo".

If they say that Schleich is better that papo. How come that Schleich discontinued in a short time his figures? Moreover Papo has how many figures of dinosaurs collection discontinued?

pylraster

Yeah, hehe. Funny thing is this store used to carry CollectA. I suspected that Schleich had something to do with them not renewing their partnership with CollectA. Seems I was right.

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 30, 2015, 11:24:12 PM
Agree 100%. When I was working in retail not too long ago, Schleich was so aggressive in trying to make the store only stock their figures it was disgusting!
Where I live, only one local toy store still stock other brands like Safari and Papo, and not Schleich, which is good to see. I guess Schleich want all or nothing these days.
Main reason I have not really gotten any of their figures in the last few years.

I work part-time in retail and sadly, the chain that employs me carries Schleich. And I'm usually the one who tidies the display racks, arranging all the animals neatly so that kids can mess them up again. :p
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

Quote from: suspsy on November 01, 2015, 02:35:36 AM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 30, 2015, 11:24:12 PM

I work part-time in retail and sadly, the chain that employs me carries Schleich. And I'm usually the one who tidies the display racks, arranging all the animals neatly so that kids can mess them up again. :p

That must be quite frustrating both because of the Sisyphus work and the bad, bad figures you have to pretend are great :(
On amazon.de I have the feeling that Schleich has reviews faked in order to give the figures more stars than they actually deserve. The reviews resemble each other strongly in repeating being phthalate free (and don´t smell in contradiction to "Other companies" (obviously meaning Bullyland) ), being robust and natural. Always the same undertone... I can´t help but thinking these reviews are remittance work they pay for.

CityRaptor

Pretty sure it is like that. There are also several Schleich reviews that are just copy and paste of each other. Customers Nasenbär, Bill and M.Reimer for example all have one standard review each which is used for all figures reviewed by them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 01, 2015, 10:11:32 AM
Pretty sure it is like that. There are also several Schleich reviews that are just copy and paste of each other. Customers Nasenbär, Bill and M.Reimer for example all have one standard review each which is used for all figures reviewed by them.

Tasteless. Bad style.  >:(

CityRaptor

I've also seen two examples of people praising the Schleich Versions and dissing the Papo Versions of Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus. It should be noted that they did that in both, the 1 Star reviews they gave the Papo Versions and the 5 Stars they gave the Schleich versions. In case of the Papos, both tend to be the only negative reviews. Although I think that might be a case of people being influenced rather than Schleich paying someone, as both only did it once.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

pylraster

The need for fake positive reviews could have been avoided in the first place, had they decided to spend more effort on their dinos.

Libraraptor

Quote from: pylraster on November 01, 2015, 06:21:48 PM
The need for fake positive reviews could have been avoided in the first place, had they decided to spend more effort on their dinos.

Agreed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: