News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Gryphon Art- update 4/9

Started by Gryphoceratops, March 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on February 25, 2013, 02:22:18 AM
New ones. 

Saurophaganax requested by Takama for my site's dinosaur of the week this week

Confuciusornis pair

Wow.    Its Cool.      And i learnd something from the post (which is why i requested it, so i can learn somthing about the anmal)   I knew it was bigger then Allosaurus But 40 Feet? :o Aint that close to T-Rex size?

Also Some day i would like to see Confuciusornis on too. Not requesting it for this week unless everyone is silent on suggestions( Im Giving other people an oppertunity)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yay for Allosaurus Maximus ! ;D  lol  The " lizard-eating master " is awesome..it never gets old seeing a large theropod devour another dino whole.. ;)

Gryphoceratops

Thanks guys! 

Takama, I actually said it can get to be over forty feet!  Its known from fragmentary remains so the estimated size range is a little varied but from what I read the bigger end of that range is about 43 feet to be exact.  This would make it as big as or bigger than the biggest Tyrannosaurus if I'm not mistaken.  Again these numbers tend to vary depending on who you ask but I try to stay as broad and neutral as possible especially with those posts. 

Confuciusornis was actually originally planned to be the dino of the week for the week of Valentines day but I didn't get the painting done in time! 

Blade-of-the-Moon

I have a size for T-Rex stuck in my head at about 45' ..but I don't keep up too much on which was bigger anymore myself.  I think there was a really big one found awhile back..haven't heard much on it though ..still cleaning and prepping maybe.

But Saurophaganax is an Allosaur..so we know who I'll side with..lol

Simon

As Saurophaganax appears to have been a really, REALLY big Allosaur, its likely that it probably was not built as robustly as TRex, so a few extra feet of tail wouldn't make much of a difference.

The largest TRex (partial) found, as far as I know, would be Horner's "C-Rex" found in about 2000...from what was online at the time, it looks like they found the top of the head and part of the upper jaw, some ribs and back, but not the lower half of the skeleton.  Somehow if you don't get most of the skeleton it doesn't "count" for the record books (just like the scientific community will "ignore" the most amazing dinofind of all time, the big Ceratopsian and complete Nanotyrannus 'dueling dinosaurs' fossil unless they are purchased for an accredited museum).

Having said that, "C-Rex" appears to have been about 10% larger than Sue.  So 45 feet would have been its length, more or less .... a really nasty critter ...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Simon on February 25, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
As Saurophaganax appears to have been a really, REALLY big Allosaur, its likely that it probably was not built as robustly as TRex, so a few extra feet of tail wouldn't make much of a difference.

The largest TRex (partial) found, as far as I know, would be Horner's "C-Rex" found in about 2000...from what was online at the time, it looks like they found the top of the head and part of the upper jaw, some ribs and back, but not the lower half of the skeleton.  Somehow if you don't get most of the skeleton it doesn't "count" for the record books (just like the scientific community will "ignore" the most amazing dinofind of all time, the big Ceratopsian and complete Nanotyrannus 'dueling dinosaurs' fossil unless they are purchased for an accredited museum).

Having said that, "C-Rex" appears to have been about 10% larger than Sue.  So 45 feet would have been its length, more or less .... a really nasty critter ...
I agree....rexie all the way ;D

Gryphoceratops

I don't think anyone is saying Saurophaganax is more heavily built than a tyrannosaurus.  When it comes to exact length measurements especially for fragmentary specimens like saurophaganax or c-rex they seem to vary slightly on who you ask.  If it makes anyone feel better I made sure to NOT to compare saurophaganax to rex in my post.  Please lets not make this into another one of those who's the baddest giant theropod discussions. 

Balaur

Wow! That Saurophaganax and Confucuisornis are incredible. Nice work!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Gryphoceratops

Thank you!  Havent been on in a long while been doing a lot of work with my own website.  Some of that involves illustrations for our weekly dinos (and other prehistoric critters). 

Anatotitan

Liliensternus

Megaloceros

Kentrosaurus.  This is a more up to date version from the one I did last year.  I had guidance from Dr. Heinrich Mallison. 

Oviraptor

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice pics !

What did you have to change on the Kentrosaurus ? Other than the spike on the shoulder..has that really been confirmed as the case yet ?  I was told it was there a long while back, then they moved it to the shoulder.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2013, 10:44:36 PM
Nice pics !

What did you have to change on the Kentrosaurus ? Other than the spike on the shoulder..has that really been confirmed as the case yet ?  I was told it was there a long while back, then they moved it to the shoulder.

Thanks Blade! 

Small stuff was changed on the Kentrosaurus.  The positioning of the plates on the neck, spikes at the tip of the tail and thickness of the front limbs.  According to Heinrich Mallison, nobody is sure if the spikes went on the shoulder or hip exactly.  If they were on the shoulder they would need to be facing downwards (only way it fits) which doesn't make much sense if they were fending off Allosaurs and stuff.  They also fit nicely on the hip, however.  Dr. Mallison thinks they were on the hips  so I moved them to the hips! 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Cool. I wish I had known more about it then..I went based on all the popular mounts,models and such and ended up with the shoulder look. I guess I'll have to explain to patrons how it could be different.. lol

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2013, 10:57:17 PM
Cool. I wish I had known more about it then..I went based on all the popular mounts,models and such and ended up with the shoulder look. I guess I'll have to explain to patrons how it could be different.. lol

I went with the hip because its what Dr. Mallison thinks and he is a leading expert on the animal.  He made a point to mention that the shoulder position is still a possibility though.

ZoPteryx

Amazing work!  The detail on the Oviraptor (all of them really) is incredible! :o

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on April 19, 2013, 11:00:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2013, 10:57:17 PM

I went with the hip because its what Dr. Mallison thinks and he is a leading expert on the animal.  He made a point to mention that the shoulder position is still a possibility though.

Understood...makes more sense as well considering stegosaurs would probably have their posteriors turned toward an attacking enemy.

Gryphoceratops

Thank you all!  Here are some more since last update. 

Pygmy Tapir and baby

Concavenator

Coahuliceratops

Weaver

Tapirs! Well dang, I was having a bad day and then you posted up these beautiful paintings. Wow! I love the colors on the Concavenator and the proportions look really good. Wow.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really liking the colors on the Concavenator !

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: