You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/35 Scale Deinonychus Trio: "Cerberus Clan"

Started by joossa, November 05, 2015, 05:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verahin

Have Rebor announced a release date for those three?

And does anyone think that the scale between Acrocanthosaurus and Deinonychus is a bit off here? They should be in 1:35, if I'm not mistaken.

Rain

Quote from: Verahin on December 11, 2016, 02:19:37 PM

And does anyone think that the scale between Acrocanthosaurus and Deinonychus is a bit off here? They should be in 1:35, if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, the Deinonychus are definitely bigger than they should be at that scale. Either that, or the perspective is making the Acrocanthosaurus look a lot smaller

stargatedalek

The Tenontosaurus was already comically out of scale relative to Acrocanthosaurus, but the Deinonychus seem to be quite in scale with the Tenontosaurus.

MLMjp

Quote from: Rain on December 11, 2016, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: Verahin on December 11, 2016, 02:19:37 PM

Yep, the Deinonychus are definitely bigger than they should be at that scale. Either that, or the perspective is making the Acrocanthosaurus look a lot smaller

Rebor claims that their dinosaurs are in 1:35, however going by some measurements provided by videos yo can see that they do not know how to calculate their scale, because the majority of them are more or less in 1:30.

Simon

Whoa - that is definitely a cool diorama. I do like their imagination here.  They have come a long way (and not just in the PR department) ...

They ought to have just made the raptors "Utahraptors" and then the scale would be about right.  As it is, it still works - if you assume that the Acrocanthosaurus is a juvenile ...

Nice feathered rendition - although (not being an expert) I am wondering whether the arm feathers should be a bit longer.  Still, very impressive.

I think that the recent proliferation of feathered theropods - especially Creative Beast's (David Silva's) epic feathered raptor collection - have seriously "turned the tide" in terms of the public's acceptance of these paleontological facts.

Heck - even I am warming to the feathered TRex idea based on the recents sculpts, and I generally don't get excited by them.  For the raptors though, we now know they were uber-feathered-cool, and Silva's sculpts are probably the equivalent of a magnitude 9.0 earthquake in terms of their acceptance by the public.

Even these 3 Deinonychus' look to me to have been influenced by his sculpts - in both feathering patterns and color imagination.  (Remember their "feathered" Utahraptor?  These are light-years better) ...

just my 2 cents worth ...

Sim

Based on that photo Rain posted, the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus, Tenontosaurus and Deinonychus look like they're in the same scale to me.  I'm not seeing what others mentioned regarding any looking too big. 

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 10, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 10, 2016, 08:06:04 AM
95%-99% for the acro is a bit too high imo. Probably 85%-90% would be fair.
Having two of the boogers and being a big fan of the species, the only things I've noted as inaccurate are the oversized feet(typical in so many dinosaur toys that I barely count it) and the lack of an larger thumb claw.  The "angry eye brows" are obviously fleshy protrusions from the bony crests along the snout, so I don't count that as inaccurate, merely speculative.

Some comments on the Dinosaur Toy Blog review mention the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus is missing a few body openings...: http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/10/25/acrocanthosaurus-hercules-by-rebor/

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2016, 07:51:03 PM
Based on that photo Rain posted, the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus, Tenontosaurus and Deinonychus look like they're in the same scale to me.  I'm not seeing what others mentioned regarding any looking too big. 
I'd say rather that the Acrocanthosaurus is to small (and not just in regards to its missing a giant chunk of flesh from its underside, just look at the pubic boot to see what I mean).

Best example of scale with all three together (bottom right).

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 11, 2016, 09:48:41 PM
I'd say rather that the Acrocanthosaurus is to small (and not just in regards to its missing a giant chunk of flesh from its underside, just look at the pubic boot to see what I mean).

I see what you mean about the missing flesh from the underside of the Rebor Acrocanthosaurus!  I hadn't noticed that before.  It looks like Rebor didn't take into account the gastralia.  Scott Hartman's Acrocanthosaurus skeletal for comparison: http://scotthartman.deviantart.com/art/High-Spined-Reptile-127659068

CityRaptor

I guess the Acro is too small in more ways than once.

Also is it wrong that I look at that size comparism and think of the following quote from Jurassic World?
"Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat."
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Rain

The Acro is small relative to the other 2 parts but it's fine relative to the 1/35th scale. It's about 1/37 based on the max length, assuming the size EverythingDinosaur measured for the figure is correct.

Quote from: Sim on December 11, 2016, 07:51:03 PM

Best example of scale with all three together (bottom right).

Can't unsee that now haha

Verahin

The Acro is definitely too small, unless it was meant to be a juvenile. But I think Rebor would have advertised it as such.

Megalosaurus

I like a lot the colouration and the flexible parts... thats it. Not sure if I'll buy it or not, may be...
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

The Atroxious

The missing abdominals on the Acro bothers me like crazy. I think it would be at least an okay figure if it had abs, and yeah, I do know that most dinosaur figures as well as many artistic depictions of dinosaurs are missing abs too, but that Acro doesn't even look like it has organs in there.

See, that's an impressive looking Acro, and not just because it has abs. I'm a sucker for carnosaurs with fancy integument. I don't even care that feathers on an Acrocanthosuarus are highly speculative. I want somebody to make a toy like that so I can throw money at them.

Patrx

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 12, 2016, 09:47:17 PM
See, that's an impressive looking Acro, and not just because it has abs. I'm a sucker for carnosaurs with fancy integument. I don't even care that feathers on an Acrocanthosuarus are highly speculative. I want somebody to make a toy like that so I can throw money at them.

Agreed! I would like to see figures and models that have a bit more variety in integument of non-coelosaurian theropods.

Shonisaurus

I will of course buy the deinonychus. If I bought Recur and Schleich I obviously bought those figures that are superior in quality.

Verahin

Most theropods depictions are on the skinny side, I don't see how this Acrocanthosaurus would be any worse than lots of other figures.

Dilopho

Quote from: Verahin on December 13, 2016, 08:05:50 PM
Most theropods depictions are on the skinny side, I don't see how this Acrocanthosaurus would be any worse than lots of other figures.
Oh, it's certainly not bad! Just not very good for a big beefy dinosaur like Acrocanthosaurus, which was probably a very muscular predator. Also, the pubic boot is way too thin- it would have not enough room for it's guts!  ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Verahin on December 13, 2016, 08:05:50 PM
Being better than the competition doesn't make something good.

The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus is a very nice piece artistically, but it simply isn't passably accurate, no matter how few other figures are.

Dobber

Question about the Deinonychus trio. Why are they all different colors? Would all the individuals within the species basically look alike? Maybe some varitation in the number and size of the stripes or slight pattern differences but the colors should still be more or less the same right? Yet these are completely different colors. I know JP/JW has done this and Rebor is following that example as have others, but are there any exetant animals...besides humans....that have such color differences?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Verahin

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 13, 2016, 09:19:37 PM
The REBOR Acrocanthosaurus is a very nice piece artistically, but it simply isn't passably accurate, no matter how few other figures are.

Fair enough, but I believe the fact that is Rebor makes it easily to remark than any other model by any other brand, right?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: