News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moodyraptor

Do we have any idea when we can expect these to start appearing on sale?

copper

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 27, 2015, 05:37:15 PM
Well, hmmmm. Ho-hum. I truly have mixed feelings about CollectA this year, and I think it is mostly due to the fact that they have now completely embraced sticking EVERY one of their bipedal figures on a plastic base.

------

Anyway yeah, in the end, you guys need to find more of a "happy medium" with the ugly bases, CollectA.

I, on the other hand, really like the new figures with the bases. Because of the base they don't need overly large feet or toes that point in every direction. The feet seem more graceful. These Collecta figures are the first ones I'm buing in many years (including the swimming spinosaurus).

Quote from: SBell on November 27, 2015, 10:39:03 PM
Seriously? How many figures a year do people expect to be put out be a company every year? They are doing about 10 or so--the early-released spinosaurs and tubes notwithstanding. That's already more than anybody else.

Indeed!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SBell on November 27, 2015, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 27, 2015, 06:40:47 PM
Quote from: Dinomike on November 27, 2015, 05:09:21 PM
Collecta has outdone itself! Great stuff and lots to look forward to!

I agree that this next year Collecta has outdone himself but unfortunately will no longer make new figures for 2016.

Seriously? How many figures a year do people expect to be put out be a company every year? They are doing about 10 or so--the early-released spinosaurs and tubes notwithstanding. That's already more than anybody else.

I agree somewhat. Considering the Spinosaurus and mini toobs ... there are many figures. But these were unveiled in 2015.

We can only hope that reveal the mid-2016's figures. It is never ruled out.

Moreover the company andrewsarchus Collecta makes fools at Bullyland. The latter seems the wolf of Little Red Riding Hood.

The andrewsarchus Collecta is exceptional. Surely the best company doing prehistoric mammals Collecta is the brand, followed closely or almost even Safari.

Roselaar

Waah, that's a badass Andrewsarchus! And another Deinocheirus, so soon after the previous model. It goes to show Collecta really is at the top of the game when it comes to scientific accuracy. Hats off to that!

terrorchicken

although Im disappointed that the new mammal model is one I already own from another company(Safari's) I really do like how different it is from the other 2 past interpretations(Safari and Bullyland). It has a slighly more piglike-ungulate look that Ive seen in some restorations that Ive always found intriguing.

the deinocheirus is pretty neat too, I had been waiting for a version with the correct head so I'll probably get him as well.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 28, 2015, 12:10:31 AM
although Im disappointed that the new mammal model is one I already own from another company(Safari's) I really do like how different it is from the other 2 past interpretations(Safari and Bullyland). It has a slighly more piglike-ungulate look that Ive seen in some restorations that Ive always found intriguing.

the deinocheirus is pretty neat too, I had been waiting for a version with the correct head so I'll probably get him as well.

My thoughts exactly! I've already got Safari's, and so I'm satisfied with that, but I do appreciate that Collecta's is more ungulate looking. Definitely getting that Deinocheirus!

John

Quote from: Moodyraptor on November 27, 2015, 10:49:28 PM
They say in mid 2016.Based on how long it has really taken for their new products to actually arrive the last few years,I would add about two months to that estimate for them to arrive first in Australia,a month or two after that for the U.K. and two or three more months after that for them to show up in the U.S. So it's going to be a while.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

sauroid

CollectA is getting better each year. even their paint job/color scheme is getting much better. personally, i dont mind the base as long as the legs dont warp in time. now that Carnegie and Battat Terra are no longer producing new figures, and Bullyland and Mojo (in terms of prehistoric mammals for Mojo) are  still in an uncertain state, CollectA, Papo and Safari Ltd. (along with the very unprolific Japanese brands) are the only brands to look forward to. i dont even want to bother mentioning the S word (oh i just did).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SBell

Quote from: John on November 28, 2015, 03:07:58 AM
They say in mid 2016.Based on how long it has really taken for their new products to actually arrive the last few years,I would add about two months to that estimate for them to arrive first in Australia,a month or two after that for the U.K. and two or three more months after that for them to show up in the U.S. So it's going to be a while.

So, about two weeks eariler in Canada than the US--roughly around this time of year! :o

Unless I can bend the ear of the right person/people; I have been dealing wih it for 7 years now.

MLMjp

Quote from: sauroid on November 28, 2015, 03:28:44 AM
CollectA is getting better each year. even their paint job/color scheme is getting much better. personally, i dont mind the base as long as the legs dont warp in time. now that Carnegie and Battat Terra are no longer producing new figures, and Bullyland and Mojo (in terms of prehistoric mammals for Mojo) are  still in an uncertain state, CollectA, Papo and Safari Ltd. (along with the very unprolific Japanese brands) are the only brands to look forward to. i dont even want to bother mentioning the S word (oh i just did).

Do you think that we can confirm 100% percent that battat will not release the rest of the terra figures? :'(

Quote from: SBell on November 28, 2015, 04:06:48 AM

Oh my...Why the best thing always come the last? :(
Feel sorry for those who live in North America

Shonisaurus

Quote from: MLMjp on November 28, 2015, 10:48:35 AM

Do you think that we can confirm 100% percent that battat will not release the rest of the terra figures? :'(

I do not understand that take so long to get Collecta animals to North America.

In fact the mother of Collecta (China) distributor is closer to North America than Europe.

Gwangi

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 28, 2015, 11:06:33 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 28, 2015, 10:48:35 AM

I do not understand that take so long to get Collecta animals to North America.

In fact the mother of Collecta (China) distributor is closer to North America than Europe.

Except that there is an ocean between China and North America, but not between China and Europe.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2015, 01:46:25 PM

Except that there is an ocean between China and North America, but not between China and Europe.
That actually makes it MORE perplexing for me, because there's no way they're shipping from China to Germany, for example, by land. It HAS to be by boat. Which explains why Australia gets it first, because China-Australia is an easy trip. But a boat from China to Europe has to go past Singapore and Egypt, whereas China-North America is a straight shot across the Pacific. There has to be something going on besides just shipping logistics.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 28, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

That actually makes it MORE perplexing for me, because there's no way they're shipping from China to Germany, for example, by land. It HAS to be by boat. Which explains why Australia gets it first, because China-Australia is an easy trip. But a boat from China to Europe has to go past Singapore and Egypt, whereas China-North America is a straight shot across the Pacific. There has to be something going on besides just shipping logistics.

I think Collecta just likes to troll us >:D

Collecta: Hey! look at this figures! :)

Collectors: We love them! ;D

Collecta: Well, you will be able to buy them months before the official release >:D Muuuuuaaaaaaaajajajjajajaaaaajjjaaaa!!!!!

Gwangi

It doesn't HAVE to be by boat. I'm more inclined to think it's by air or a combination of air and land. And does anyone actually know the distance between China and Europe vs. China and North America? Because I'm not totally convinced that the later is a shorter distance. Especially depending on where precisely in Europe/China/North America these shipments are sent out and received. China might be closer to California than the UK but surely it's not closer to New York than it is to mainland Europe.

Bokisaurus

It's all about the distributors, unfortunately, the one that distributes in North America is highly late on getting their supply. It has nothing to do with CollectA releasing the figures. Only other way is to change distributors, but that seems highly unlikely in the near future.
Also there are a lot of safety testing that needs to happen before anything is imported to the US, adding another delay in availability. Each country has it's own requirements for sure, but I know having worked in retail before that this can lead to delays.

Bokisaurus

Oh yeah, awesome figures! CollectA is officially my favorite company when it comes to prehistoric and extant/modern animals. They are simply amazing in the diversity. I just saw the extant lineup and it's pretty amazing as well.
Looks like the bases are next years experiment for CollectA and their dipped ;D
They tried the big feet, which is not that great, then the bulked up hips to add weight on the feet to give stability, that was also met with mix reviews. No, onto the bases. I personally like them biceps on bases.
It allows the accurate proportion and well sculpted feet and still be able to display the figures on shelves without the fear and annoyance of figures constantly falling over.
I believe, the only pose that CollectA has't tried to give their bipeds stability is tripod pose, which is really nice.
Most of my Safari Carnegie with tripod pose still have issues like the legs/feet warping after a while. The Giga and spins are notorious! They look like they are sliding ;D So off they go to the bins ;)

In the end, for me, I admire CollectA's constant way in trying to improve each figures year after year.
And they do listen to feedback... a lot. I remember the whole sauropod and ceratopsian feet criticism way back, and they answered ( and even mentioned the forum) by making them feet accurate.
The supreme range will probably be a on/off thing, just like their other huge sized and family sets.
Cheers!

stargatedalek

Depending on how CollectA designs their packaging can also affect distribution speed. For example large businesses are not allowed to sell products in Canada unless they have bilingual packaging, but small businesses aren't resricted by this allowing specialty shops and the like to bring in foreign products and/or to receive products faster than mainstream stores.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2015, 06:26:25 PM

It doesn't HAVE to be by boat. I'm more inclined to think it's by air or a combination of air and land. And does anyone actually know the distance between China and Europe vs. China and North America? Because I'm not totally convinced that the later is a shorter distance. Especially depending on where precisely in Europe/China/North America these shipments are sent out and received. China might be closer to California than the UK but surely it's not closer to New York than it is to mainland Europe.

I think Boki and star are probably right that it has more to do with regulations and distributor schedules. I guess it's possible that these might go by air, but air transport is so expensive that I would assume that it wouldn't be used for commercial-scale shipment of non-perishables. I got curious about shipping, so I looked up some stuff and found the following:

http://business.tenntom.org/why-use-the-waterway/shipping-comparisons/

which says that whereas a boat gets 512 miles/gallon of fuel per ton of cargo, whereas a truck gets 59 miles/gallon per ton. Which is why I figure things that retail for under $10 might go by boat. Unfortunately the site above doesn't estimate air shipping, but I have to assume it's worse than trains and possibly even worse than trucks in terms of fuel cost. Anyway, I could still be wrong, because there's plenty I don't know about distribution, and yeah, as the crow flies, England is definitely closer to Guangzhou than New York is. I'm just saying it would surprise me if logistics were the main bottleneck.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 29, 2015, 12:48:14 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2015, 06:26:25 PM

I think Boki and star are probably right that it has more to do with regulations and distributor schedules. I guess it's possible that these might go by air, but air transport is so expensive that I would assume that it wouldn't be used for commercial-scale shipment of non-perishables. I got curious about shipping, so I looked up some stuff and found the following:

http://business.tenntom.org/why-use-the-waterway/shipping-comparisons/

which says that whereas a boat gets 512 miles/gallon of fuel per ton of cargo, whereas a truck gets 59 miles/gallon per ton. Which is why I figure things that retail for under $10 might go by boat. Unfortunately the site above doesn't estimate air shipping, but I have to assume it's worse than trains and possibly even worse than trucks in terms of fuel cost. Anyway, I could still be wrong, because there's plenty I don't know about distribution, and yeah, as the crow flies, England is definitely closer to Guangzhou than New York is. I'm just saying it would surprise me if logistics were the main bottleneck.

I haven't been here all day--so time to educate, since I have dealt directly with the Canadian distributor. A lot.

They place an order once or twice a year--the order should, in theory, be whatever they are out of, and anything that is new. But, often, they fail at that, because their orders go to CollectA 3 or 4 months (or more) earlier than that. They are not toy people, not really. They are definitely not dino-figure people (it's their only line of animal models).

So, they place an order, and it must be large enough to fill a shipping crate. And that crate gets on a boat, and that boat won't leave China until it is full (max cargo=max profit).

The biggest issue I've had with the distributor is that, despite the fact that I know every new release, and place my order as soon as I know, they often don't even bother to bring everything in. And then, maybe, on the late-year order, I'll get some. Unless they get sold elsewhere (they are supposed to be strictly Canada, but I have a feeling they sell to the US as well, because I've seen those price lists as well...).

I have talked to the President of CollectA so I'm hoping this will somehow be fixed, although knowing the distributor, nope, it won't--because they do not JIC order.

Not for nothing, Safari now directly distributes to Canada, having cut out their distributor last January. I am not sad about this, as it means I can now bring in stock within a reasonable amount of time, with no middle-men (so the terrible exchange rate isn't so bad). I am also not sad because I was not quiet about my dissatisfaction with them either.

Distributing CollectA to North America directly won't happen though--because no reasonable retailer can, or should, bring in cargo containers for just their store to make the freight worthwhile (I once asked Famemaster, many years back--the number of SKUs was in the 10s of thousands!). What they need is a more direct representation on this side of the Pacific to increase volumes and increase cargo shipment turnaround times.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: