News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New for 2016

Started by Everything_Dinosaur, November 06, 2015, 07:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Well, there you go. If the US and Canada distributors aren't the same, they sure have the same MO, because it does seem like we're last to get everything. On the bright side, it means that at any time of year, there's something to look forward to from CollectA.  >:D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dobber

Yeah bummer.  I live in the U.S. and am still waiting on the 2015 Feathered Rex. It seems like the earlier in the year releases made it much faster. Maybe they just happened to become available around the time an early year order was placed...if the twice a year ordering thing is accurate.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

I wonder when we'll get release dates for these toys. I also wonder whether all three ornithomimosaurs will be in the same wave, or if they'll be spread out.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on December 12, 2015, 02:11:17 PM
I wonder when we'll get release dates for these toys. I also wonder whether all three ornithomimosaurs will be in the same wave, or if they'll be spread out.

Pricing hasn't even been released for any of it yet, that's expected in January. And with the great CDN$ ::), the prices will all be going up (so for those in Canada, get what you can now).

Shonisaurus

What is not normal for the arrival on the market of products Collecta is relantice both.

I would support all figures between December and March as does Safari and Carnegie made with regard to free themselves dinosaurs.

suspsy

Quote from: SBell on December 12, 2015, 03:11:03 PM

Pricing hasn't even been released for any of it yet, that's expected in January. And with the great CDN$ ::), the prices will all be going up (so for those in Canada, get what you can now).

Funny you should mention that. I just placed an order with Minizoo this week.

I wonder if CollectA has a surprise or two up their sleeve for next year just like the Spinosaurus trio.

SBell

Quote from: suspsy on December 12, 2015, 05:34:28 PM
Quote from: SBell on December 12, 2015, 03:11:03 PM

Funny you should mention that. I just placed an order with Minizoo this week.

I wonder if CollectA has a surprise or two up their sleeve for next year just like the Spinosaurus trio.

What models do they have in now?

And the Spinosaurs were supposed to be 2016 releases, but demand made them push up the release dates (somewhat...they don't appear to have made it everywhere, due to distribution issues). Same with the tubes.

suspsy

Oh, didn't order any of the brand new ones, just some older models as well as Tube 1.

LophoLeeVT

well the deinochairus looks awesome... and the appearence of the first torvosaurus figure....JAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Tyto_Theropod

They've hooked me in with that Andrewsarchus! And just as I was planning on saving up for Nintendo 3DS, too (so I can finally play pokemon games, which are so my generation and which for some reason I have never played). Such is life! :'(
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

suspsy

I can't decide which one I love more: the Deinocheirus or the Beishanlong.

I'd love it if CollectA does the same trio thing for 2017, only with oviraptorids. Citipati, Khaan, and a Deluxe Gigantoraptor.

amargasaurus cazaui

That entire Citipatti thing could get messy fast, if done incorrectly. Stretching the point you could argue most Oviraptor models are technically Citipatti, because the holotype of Oviraptor has such a badly crushed cranium. Myself I would love anything from the grouping.....but many of them are so similar it may kill the chances. For instance Khaan seems close to identical to Ingenia, except the metacarpal thing. Citipatti has been sculpted as Oviraptor for years....and then comes the daunting task of seperating small Gigantaraptor from larger Citipatti and smaller citipatti from large Oviraptors...the super chickens are a daunting brood.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Anzu would also be a great choice.

empire3569

Quote from: suspsy on December 13, 2015, 10:00:09 PM
I can't decide which one I love more: the Deinocheirus or the Beishanlong.

I'd love it if CollectA does the same trio thing for 2017, only with oviraptorids. Citipati, Khaan, and a Deluxe Gigantoraptor.

For me, I think the Beishanlong is their best new release; the sculpt and pose is incredibly realistic and lifelike. I was blown away when I first saw it; hopefully the actual model will look as great as the promotional picture. I also really like the Hunting T-rex; thought that one might look good in a mini-diorama with the Safari Triceratops or Safari Edmontosaurus

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on December 13, 2015, 11:06:25 PM
I absouloutely supprt that suggestion !! Anzu would be amazing
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 14, 2015, 12:34:22 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 13, 2015, 11:06:25 PM
I absouloutely supprt that suggestion !! Anzu would be amazing

Indeed. Deluxe or Supreme scale preferably.

That's interesting about Gigantoraptor and Citipati. Is there much support for the idea that they are being confused for one another?

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 13, 2015, 10:50:57 PM
That entire Citipatti thing could get messy fast, if done incorrectly. Stretching the point you could argue most Oviraptor models are technically Citipatti, because the holotype of Oviraptor has such a badly crushed cranium. Myself I would love anything from the grouping.....but many of them are so similar it may kill the chances. For instance Khaan seems close to identical to Ingenia, except the metacarpal thing. Citipatti has been sculpted as Oviraptor for years....and then comes the daunting task of seperating small Gigantaraptor from larger Citipatti and smaller citipatti from large Oviraptors...the super chickens are a daunting brood.

Gigantoraptor isn't too hard to seperate from Citipati; the vast majority of Gigantoraptors I've seen depicted reconstruct them without a head crest, which, if I remember correctly, is an assumption supported by its phylogenetic position. I believe it's closer to basal, crestless oviraptorids like Caudipteryx than it is to derived, crested forms like Citipati.

postsaurischian

:D  :D
I'm very happy that CollectA will also release my favourite "modern Dinosaur" in 2016!

Patrx

Very nice shoebill! I wonder if all those neat details in the paint will actually be present in the real figure?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on December 14, 2015, 09:45:28 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 13, 2015, 10:50:57 PM

Gigantoraptor isn't too hard to seperate from Citipati; the vast majority of Gigantoraptors I've seen depicted reconstruct them without a head crest, which, if I remember correctly, is an assumption supported by its phylogenetic position. I believe it's closer to basal, crestless oviraptorids like Caudipteryx than it is to derived, crested forms like Citipati.
It is indeed an assumption and could really go either way. You will notice for instance the recent sculpt Dan did of the species and the fact he chose to crest it, based on the idea that the crest could also be related to sexual display. I remember when Dan posed this question on Facebook and I watched as people weighed in. There were quite a few for and againsts, seemed a pretty even split, however some of the paleos were telling him he could get away with it either way.Another rather intriguing thing about Gigantaraptor is how it possesed some more advanced traits, as well as some basal ones....as referecenced here. "However, it also includes several features found in more derived eumaniraptoran dinosaurs, such as a frontlimb/hindlimb ratio of 60%, a lack of expansion of the distal scapula and the lack of a fourth trochanter on the thighbone. Despite its size, Gigantoraptor would thus have been more bird-like than its smaller oviraptorosaurian relatives."
I think what some are supporting is that more birdlike also may mean crested.
It also becomes less important even seperating the two if Gigantaraptor is classified as a member of the Caenagnathidae, as suggested here.

"In 2010, a second analysis of Gigantoraptor relationships found it to be a member of the Caenagnathidae rather than an oviraptorid.[4] Phylogenetic analysis conducted by Lamanna et al. (2014), supported that Gigantoraptor was a basal caenagnathid.[5] The cladogram below follows an analysis by Longrich et al. in 2013, which found Gigantoraptor to be a Caenagnathid
The most famous member of that family I can remember is of course Anzu, a dinosaur with a quite pronounced crest !I believe regardless which way that all sorts, that for the layperson without a more derived understanding of the dinosaur family would have serious problems sorting a replica of a Gigantaraptor out from that of a larger Citipatti is all. That is what I was trying to put across basically. Much like someone pointed our recently that while the differences are clear to a dinosaur scholar, to a layperson it may be hard to distinguish between Garoyleosaurus, and Sauropelta.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: