News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Quote from: japfeif on November 04, 2014, 01:12:25 AM

Random question.....does anyone know exactly what year the green standing T.rex came out? I know it was one of the very early ones but what year was it, does anyone know? Thanks, Jeff

It was 2005 I think.
[/quote]

Hey thanks. Final question on production years.....when did the two cavemen figures come out? I can't seem to find any info on them at all.
[/quote]

Here's a list of them all with release dates on my blog.
http://www.ikessauro.com/2008/05/dinossauros-papo.html

tyrantqueen

QuoteI am fully aware of some of the biological inaccuracies (some pronated hands, a toothed Pteranodon, the necks of the Plesiosaurus & Tylosaurus), but what I meant was, they are the ones that to me, just seem the most ALIVE. Some of these figures almost look like living animals, and I have not seen that kind of detail on any other line of dino figures.  I"ve heard some folks complain about their "boring" colors or overuse of drab greens & grays, but I think that is what helps make them real. So many of the other lines just are so brightly painted that it looks fake. I work in a zoo and MOST animals just are NOT super brightly colored and gaudy (although, yes, some ARE). Most tend to be cryptically colored to varying degrees, and just by the nature of how jungles and forests and grasslands are, the most "blending into the background" colors DO tend to lean toward grays, greens, and browns.
I have my own complaints about Papo's models but the sculpting is usually never an issue. Their Tylosaurus figure is totally inaccurate as the animal it is supposed to portray, but like other Paposaurs it looks like something that could have existed. Maybe not a Tylosaurus, but some ocean dwelling animal. That's a testament to its realism.

QuoteAnd incidently....until I kept seeing it said here, I had never made the connection between the Papo dinos and Jurassic Park! I did not know they were made to represent the dinos from the movies.....or ARE they? Is that an established fact or was that just something someone started saying & it spread around?  Or did the Papo line and the movies just happen to feature many of the same dinosaurs? After all, just about EVERY company has the Trike, the T.rex, Pteranodon, Anky, most have a Spinosaurus now.....was the Papo line started as some sort of homage or representations to the Jurassic Park movies' prehistoric stars?
It's pretty undeniable that their models are influenced by JP in some way. The Tyrannosaurus rex has those oversized triangle shaped bosses over its eyes. And they released them in brown and green colours, just like the male and female from the movies. The cracked horns of the Triceratops are also another example.

But to be fair, they have also taken designs from places too. Their oviraptor is plainly copied from Disney's Dinosaur, and their snaggle tooth Tyrannosaurus looks heavily influenced by King Kong's V.rex.

Deanosaur7

So what do u think about the Papo Archeopteryx? I like it

Arul

Quote from: Deanosaur7 on November 06, 2014, 01:08:57 PM
So what do u think about the Papo Archeopteryx? I like it

Perfect, they carved it per feather. Even a lot of people said it not accurate in scientific, i think its the best of all archaeopteryx figure that made by a company.

kreativtek

Hi guys.

I look forward to seeing what Papo has in store for us in 2015, which is why I got really excited when the only official Papo retailer in Poland e-mailed me that they should get a bunch of new products by the end of the month. I really do not know the details, but given that I asked specifically for dinosaurs, I suppose we can expect brand new models very soon. I will keep an eye on the retailer's website and let you know when something interesting pops up.

As far as Papo dinosaurs are concerned, I absolutely love them. I have just started collecting their figures, by now I was more interested in JP toys. But the level of detail and gorgeous sculptures of Papo's flagship figures completely blew me away. I already have the brown T-rex, the spinosaurus, the parasaurolophus, and the magnificent brachiosaurus that I love more than life. I think I can afford one or two new figures by year's end. I was thinking about getting a dimetrodon or carnotaurus. What do you think?

Arul

Quote from: kreativtek on November 17, 2014, 09:40:25 PM
Hi guys.

I look forward to seeing what Papo has in store for us in 2015, which is why I got really excited when the only official Papo retailer in Poland e-mailed me that they should get a bunch of new products by the end of the month. I really do not know the details, but given that I asked specifically for dinosaurs, I suppose we can expect a brand new models very soon. I will keep an eye on the retailer's website and let you know when something interesting pops up.

It will be very aprreciated !!  ;D

Georassic

I was thinking about getting a dimetrodon or carnotaurus. What do you think?
I have both and consider them two of Papo's best. I think many other collectors wiser than me would agree.

laticauda

Quote from: Georassic on November 18, 2014, 03:35:27 AM
I have both and consider them two of Papo's best. I think many other collectors wiser than me would agree.

I keep waiting to get the Carnotaurus, but it is on my list.  Perhaps after the hollidays.

Concavenator

End of month?Cannot wait!  :D

kreativtek

Don't get your hopes up too much, guys. There's a good chance that the new figures will be just the ones, which are currently missing on the retailer's website (namely brachiosaurus, dilophosaurus, baby triceratops, and archeopteryx). But who knows? I believe it is high time for Papo to reveal their 2015 lineup.

Arul

Quote from: laticauda on November 18, 2014, 04:27:49 AM
Quote from: Georassic on November 18, 2014, 03:35:27 AM

I keep waiting to get the Carnotaurus, but it is on my list.  Perhaps after the hollidays.

I choose carnotaurus, i love the gesture and it devilish look  :)

stoneage

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 04, 2014, 02:19:55 AM
Quote from: japfeif on November 04, 2014, 01:12:25 AM

Random question.....does anyone know exactly what year the green standing T.rex came out? I know it was one of the very early ones but what year was it, does anyone know? Thanks, Jeff

It was 2005 I think.

Hey thanks. Final question on production years.....when did the two cavemen figures come out? I can't seem to find any info on them at all.
[/quote]

Here's a list of them all with release dates on my blog.
http://www.ikessauro.com/2008/05/dinossauros-papo.html
[/quote]

They came out in 2000. The fire came out in 2003.

Arul

Until now im still dont know why papo stop producing standing green trex and vraptor v1, anyone know ?

DinoLord

They were replaced by their current paint versions.

DinoLord

Anyone know if Papo usually reveals the prices for upcoming releases when they reveal the figures themselves?

Arul

Based on my country money exchange value, papo price is still reasonable as long as they are sold in £  :P

Concavenator

Then...we should get a glimpse at what's new this week right?! OMGOMG  ;D

kreativtek

If you are referring to what I've said about my local retail store, yes and no. Yes, because I can see that new products are slowly showing up on the website. They've added two new Papo horses and some other toys. Nothing dinosaur yet.

No, because I am starting to doubt that we will see anything new being released unofficially. After all, the retailer is a minor one and there are many better ways to show new products to the world. I definitely will keep you posted, though.
Who knows, maybe Papo will not out new figures this year at all (hopefully not!). In what month did the company release new figures last year?

Concavenator

They were announced on the 20th of December.Can you post pics of the new figures so far?Thank you  :)
ED has said Papo have new dinosaurs for 2015.

Everything_Dinosaur

Yes, we do know about Papo, but it is all embargoed for the moment, so we can't post up any information, pics or so forth.  We imagine things will be come clearer in about 4 weeks or so.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: