News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I'm getting a Papo figure next month for my birthday...I can only choose 1...and so,I'm undecided between the Archaeopteryx and the Dimetrodon...both are incredible.Please help!

tyrantqueen

For me it would be the Dimetro easily. Aside from the toes, it's nearly perfect. The Archaeopteryx has more flaws which deter me a little.

Manatee

Quote from: Concavenator on September 05, 2014, 11:30:48 AM
I'm getting a Papo figure next month for my birthday...I can only choose 1...and so,I'm undecided between the Archaeopteryx and the Dimetrodon...both are incredible.Please help!
Certainly the Dimetrodon. It is an amazing figure... not to mention the fact the Archaeopteryx looks like a vicious Velociraptor.

amanda

Look at it artistically? The Dimetrodon, aside from being nearly accurate, has that almost can see through it sail. A wonderful thing, I think. :)

tanystropheus

IMO, the Dimetrodon is the very best of Papo's prehistoric models. Please make an Edaphosaurus !(I know that is unlikely)

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 08, 2014, 02:07:33 AM
IMO, the Dimetrodon is the very best of Papo's prehistoric models. Please make an Edaphosaurus !(I know that is unlikely)

I agree with that sentiment and I'm much more of a dinosaur person than a synapsid one. Heck, there was a point when I seriously considered only collecting dinosaurs and none of the other prehistoric figures. Glad I didn't stick with that!

Deanosaur7

What does everyone think about the 2014 Dilophosaurus? I personally love it.

Next year I would like to see at least one of these:

Baby Spinosaurus
  Feathered Velociraptor
  Lambeosaurus
  Mamenchisaurus
  Baby Velociraptor
  Saurophaganax or Giganotosaurus
  Feathered Tyrannosaurid

Concavenator

Quote from: Deanosaur7 on October 27, 2014, 01:47:29 PM

Baby Spinosaurus
  Feathered Velociraptor
  Lambeosaurus
  Mamenchisaurus
  Baby Velociraptor
  Feathered Tyrannosaurid
I have it,but it's a little bland,imo.It's not bad,but it's quality is lower than the Allosaurus'.I like it though.

Arul

Quote from: Concavenator on October 27, 2014, 08:39:43 PM

Baby Spinosaurus
  Feathered Velociraptor
  Lambeosaurus
  Mamenchisaurus
  Baby Velociraptor
  Feathered Tyrannosaurid
I have it,but it's a little bland,imo.It's not bad,but it's quality is lower than the Allosaurus'.I like it though.

The model is too glossy, i think doff is better just like allo and running trex

Appalachiosaurus

It is one of the only Papo figurines I have. Although it's undeserving of going on my desk because of its glaring inaccuracies, the detail is just so beautiful that I cant help but stare at it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 28, 2014, 06:25:01 PM

It is one of the only Papo figurines I have. Although it's undeserving of going on my desk because of its glaring inaccuracies, the detail is just so beautiful that I cant help but stare at it.

Other than the split crotch, it is certainly one of the most accurate mass produced representations of Dilophosaurus. It is superior than the WS version with the bunny hands.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 29, 2014, 07:39:40 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 28, 2014, 06:25:01 PM

Other than the split crotch, it is certainly one of the most accurate mass produced representations of Dilophosaurus. It is superior than the WS version with the bunny hands.

1. It's hands are still pronated, just slightly turned (look at the wrists).

2. The poor thing is in need of some food.

3. Dilophosaurus probably didn't have such a flexible tail.

4. It is missing the muscle that opens and closes its mouth.

5. Broken pubic boot

Not bad for Papo, but not good enough for me (I am REALLY picky)

suspsy

The Dimetrodon easily beats out the Archaeopteryx.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Arul

I hope someday they build a mosasaur and remake tylosaur...

Concavenator

Papo has just revealed two of their 2015 releases...not dinosaurs though:
http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t13726-the-first-new-papo-of-2015

japfeif

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2012, 04:45:30 AM
I would guess because it's a different figure in the same green coloration.

The brown version of the perching Rex is a must have..it's not just a repaint, but a re-sculpt, re-tool,  even a  re-mold..the details are a TON better..much more like the prototype they first showed us.

Random question.....does anyone know exactly what year the green standing T.rex came out? I know it was one of the very early ones but what year was it, does anyone know? Thanks, Jeff

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: japfeif on November 04, 2014, 12:40:45 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 07, 2012, 04:45:30 AM
I would guess because it's a different figure in the same green coloration.

The brown version of the perching Rex is a must have..it's not just a repaint, but a re-sculpt, re-tool,  even a  re-mold..the details are a TON better..much more like the prototype they first showed us.

Random question.....does anyone know exactly what year the green standing T.rex came out? I know it was one of the very early ones but what year was it, does anyone know? Thanks, Jeff

It was 2005 I think.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

japfeif

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on August 08, 2014, 04:20:16 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 02, 2014, 08:22:48 AM
It's not so bad in real life. But yeah, there is a difference compared to their older models. I hope they will go back to the matte look they used for their older sculpts, like their Allosaurus.
I've owned two Allosaurus and even THEY have a little gloss to their upper scutes.  My only problem with Dilophosaurus is that it's hard to find a natural way to have him sitting on the shelf.  They really shouldn't have balanced him on that arm, they should have had his body more up like the Allosaurus.  But one gripe isn't too bad, IMO, and it's nice to have a Dilophosaurus that I didn't have to pay through the nose for and isn't inspired by Jurassic Park.

For my Diloph I just kept that plastic base-thingy that the legs fit into when you buy it and it stands nicely...and the clear plastic base is not too obtrusive. He was the only figure I did that for, however.

Funny little sidebit....I have collected Marx & MPC dinos for years & years, and recently "moved up" to the Invicta series for their realism (compated to the old Marx figures, which I love dearly). I never messed with any of the painted or colored sets like CollectA & Safari & the like, they all always just seem to look...gaudy to me. Like when the Carnegie dinos first came out, remember, you'd see them on that mountain display thing, and I remember just thinking they all looked so fake and gaudy and TOO colorful and just not....real.

Then I discovered Papo, and I was blown away. And remember, here is someone who only collected monochrome figures in whatever color the plastic happened to be in, AND had been quite impressed with the Invictas (unpainted, not painted). I thought the Papos to be without a doubt the most realistic and lifelike dino figures I had ever seen. I know there is some hate on them (and not sure why) but I think that they are totally tops.

I am fully aware of some of the biological inaccuracies (some pronated hands, a toothed Pteranodon, the necks of the Plesiosaurus & Tylosaurus), but what I meant was, they are the ones that to me, just seem the most ALIVE. Some of these figures almost look like living animals, and I have not seen that kind of detail on any other line of dino figures.  I"ve heard some folks complain about their "boring" colors or overuse of drab greens & grays, but I think that is what helps make them real. So many of the other lines just are so brightly painted that it looks fake. I work in a zoo and MOST animals just are NOT super brightly colored and gaudy (although, yes, some ARE). Most tend to be cryptically colored to varying degrees, and just by the nature of how jungles and forests and grasslands are, the most "blending into the background" colors DO tend to lean toward grays, greens, and browns.

So that's my take on Papos. Just the best ever, even if not 100% scientifically accurate all the time.

And incidently....until I kept seeing it said here, I had never made the connection between the Papo dinos and Jurassic Park! I did not know they were made to represent the dinos from the movies.....or ARE they? Is that an established fact or was that just something someone started saying & it spread around?  Or did the Papo line and the movies just happen to feature many of the same dinosaurs? After all, just about EVERY company has the Trike, the T.rex, Pteranodon, Anky, most have a Spinosaurus now.....was the Papo line started as some sort of homage or representations to the Jurassic Park movies' prehistoric stars?

japfeif

[/quote]

It was 2005 I think.
[/quote]

Hey thanks. Final question on production years.....when did the two cavemen figures come out? I can't seem to find any info on them at all.

DinoLord

Quote from: japfeif on November 04, 2014, 01:09:17 AM
And incidently....until I kept seeing it said here, I had never made the connection between the Papo dinos and Jurassic Park! I did not know they were made to represent the dinos from the movies.....or ARE they? Is that an established fact or was that just something someone started saying & it spread around?  Or did the Papo line and the movies just happen to feature many of the same dinosaurs? After all, just about EVERY company has the Trike, the T.rex, Pteranodon, Anky, most have a Spinosaurus now.....was the Papo line started as some sort of homage or representations to the Jurassic Park movies' prehistoric stars?

Some of the Papo models are modeled very closely after the dinosaur designs from Jurassic Park (which are pretty distinctive). If you don't believe me, look no further than this Papo Spinosaurus I commissioned forumite copper to repaint a few years back:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: