News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

I think that they are currently available in Europe.

Hypsi

Quote from: japfeif on February 17, 2015, 11:03:23 PM
So again, ARE the Apatosaurus and the Tupuxuara available now? If so, where can one order them? The Papo site itself doesn't seem to even have place to order them, just a pic of them with the other new figures for 2015. And at Dan's Dinosaurs,  both are listed as being available for "preorder", but then do do a few others (like the Archeopteryx, who have been available for quite awhile now), so not sure how current the site is. Most of the other Papo dinos I got from Happy Hen, which doesn't even list the Apato or the Tupu.
Or is it a bit too early yet?
That's exactly what I ran into as well.

You can order now from Europe. I'm going to wait since the shipping costs would more than double my order, and I know once Dan's Dinosaurs or Happy Hen have them in stock, I can get a good deal.

Edit: Dinosaur Farm's website says "Coming April!"

Toffen

The Papo Apatosaurus finally arrived today! It´s a beautiful piece. My first (but not my last) Papo dinosaur :)

SpartanSquat

I got Papo Apatosaurus along with SH MonsterArts Godzilla 2014!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Hypsi on February 10, 2015, 04:55:00 AM
Has the Apatosaurus been released yet?
The wait is killing me! I really want it.

Papo Apatosaurus and Papo Tupuxuara are now available at Dan's Dinosaurs.

Shadowknight1

So with repeated hot water and freezing treatments, I believe I finally have my Dilophosaurus out of a tripod pose.  I still have his hand resting on a base for now, but he can stand on his own two feet.  Not QUITE as angled as I would like, but a significant improvement over how he once was.  Still a shame he didn't turn out quite like his promo pic.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 20, 2015, 01:58:49 AM
So with repeated hot water and freezing treatments, I believe I finally have my Dilophosaurus out of a tripod pose.  I still have his hand resting on a base for now, but he can stand on his own two feet.  Not QUITE as angled as I would like, but a significant improvement over how he once was.  Still a shame he didn't turn out quite like his promo pic.
Hope you're able to get him more into a pose you like. I completely skipped out on him. The pose was not very appealing, and then the paint job was the final nail in the coffin for me.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just received the Apatosaurus and Tupuxuara from Dan's Dinosaurs! Quick shipping and nice pieces overall. :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: joossa on March 20, 2015, 03:31:11 AM
Hope you're able to get him more into a pose you like. I completely skipped out on him. The pose was not very appealing, and then the paint job was the final nail in the coffin for me.

I absolutely love the Dilophosaurus. I think it is an underrated piece.  And, I'm looking forward to all their 2015 releases!

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 20, 2015, 04:08:49 AM

I absolutely love the Dilophosaurus. I think it is an underrated piece. And, I'm looking for to all their 2015 releases!
I think it would've been far less underrated if it hadn't had the hand on the ground for balance posture and the glossy finish.  I also would've preferred if the colors were a bit more contrasted on the final model.  That said...sure beats a JP Spitter any day of the week.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 20, 2015, 04:10:59 AM

I absolutely love the Dilophosaurus. I think it is an underrated piece. And, I'm looking for to all their 2015 releases!
I think it would've been far less underrated if it hadn't had the hand on the ground for balance posture and the glossy finish.  I also would've preferred if the colors were a bit more contrasted on the final model.  That said...sure beats a JP Spitter any day of the week.

I'm okay with the gloss. My Papo Euoplocephalus, baby Trike, Styracosaurus all have a bit of gloss. However, having said this, gloss makes far more sense for hatchlings (e.g. REBOR Jolly), marine reptiles, amphibians and the palate/mouth interior aspects. My Dilo has a very subtle purply tinge that separates it from all the other Papos. The tripod, while not ideal, is less annoying than the more common form of tripod where you have the dinosaur balancing itself like a kangaroo on its tail.

joossa

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 20, 2015, 04:18:17 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 20, 2015, 04:10:59 AM

I'm okay with the gloss. My Papo Euoplocephalus, baby Trike, Styracosaurus all have a bit of gloss. However, having said this, gloss makes far more sense for hatchlings (e.g. REBOR Jolly), marine reptiles, amphibians and the palate/mouth interior aspects. My Dilo has a very subtle purply tinge that separates it from all the other Papos. The tripod, while not ideal, is less annoying than the more common form of tripod where you have the dinosaur balancing itself like a kangaroo on its tail.

I'm okay with gloss in the right places when appropriate. My Papo Steggo and Styracosaurus have gloss on the areas with larger scales giving the impression that those are tougher, thicker, "waxier" scales. Makes are realism better. However, a gloss-all-around finish is just not good looking in my opinion. I would prefer more of an overall matte finish like on the Carnotaurus.

Thank goodness the Apatosaurus doesn't seems to have a full on gloss finish. Can't wait to get mine.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Arul

On fb everything dinosaur said baby green trex is retired now, papo stop producting it...

kreativtek

I've recently sold my Apatosaurus (sloppy paintjob and disappointing size when compared to other Papo dinosaurs) and Velociraptor (it couldn't stand properly). Since it's been more than two months since I've bought anything new, I thought I could get a Triceratops. Do you think it's a good figure? I've all big carnivores from Papo, but only a few herbivores and I think that the Triceratops could bring a nice balance.

tanystropheus

Quote from: kreativtek on April 10, 2015, 10:18:32 PM
I've recently sold my Apatosaurus (sloppy paintjob and disappointing size when compared to other Papo dinosaurs) and Velociraptor (it couldn't stand properly). Since it's been more than two months since I've bought anything new, I thought I could get a Triceratops. Do you think it's a good figure? I've all big carnivores from Papo, but only a few herbivores and I think that the Triceratops could bring a nice balance.

You must be in the minority, but most people seem to love it. The Papo Apato is sold out everywhere in the universe. At least some lucky guy has your Apato. Honestly, even if you got a sloppier than usual copy, the model certainly sports more anatomical details than the average Papo dinosaur (just check the Everything Dinosaur's video review). Disappointing size? LOL, really  :P...I've never seen that one as a reason to sell a model, but whatever floats your boat :) ....I'm just super happy that Papo even took the risk to introduce a second sauropod in their portfolio.

kreativtek

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 10, 2015, 10:36:21 PM

You must be in the minority, but most people seem to love it. The Papo Apato is sold out everywhere in the universe. At least some lucky guy has your Apato. Honestly, even if you got a sloppier than usual copy, the model certainly sports more anatomical details than the average Papo dinosaur (just check the Everything Dinosaur's video review). Disappointing size? LOL, really  :P...I've never seen that one as a reason to sell a model, but whatever floats your boat :) ....I'm just super happy that Papo even took the risk to introduce a second sauropod in their portfolio.

I've got to say that I kind of miss the Apatosaurus. It is a very decent figure, although it doesn't have that flare that I love other Papo dinosaurus for. Or maybe I'm just a Jurassic Park kind of guy and I simply want my dinos to resemble the animals pictured in the film. :-)

Dinomike

Has anyone tried applying matte varnish on the Dilophosaurus? It might work. I'm still sitting on the fence...
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: kreativtek on April 10, 2015, 10:59:57 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on April 10, 2015, 10:36:21 PM

I've got to say that I kind of miss the Apatosaurus. It is a very decent figure, although it doesn't have that flare that I love other Papo dinosaurus for. Or maybe I'm just a Jurassic Park kind of guy and I simply want my dinos to resemble the animals pictured in the film. :-)

Yeah, the Jurassic World Apato doesn't seem to feature the thick necks that are characteristic of the SS, WS and Papo models. Interestingly enough, history seems to repeat (itself). In one scene in Jurassic World, the Apato's skull is confused with that of Brachios (this eerily parallels the historic Camarasaurus fiasco).

joossa

Can't wait for my apato to arrive. The Papo triceratops is alright. I like the size, but the feet, horns, and beak bother me a bit. I like the WS one better.

Quote from: Dinomike on April 11, 2015, 12:19:21 AM
Has anyone tried applying matte varnish on the Dilophosaurus? It might work. I'm still sitting on the fence...
If you decide to do it, please report back and post pictures. Interested in hearing about your results.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

joossa

Wanted to post this... thought it was interesting. I purchased another Papo stego from Amazon a couple days ago. I assume their stock is recent and the stego has a different paint job than other older stegos. This one, which I assume may be from a more recently produced stock, is darker and lacks lighter spots on the plates.

New one is in the front:

New one is on the far left:
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: