News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

I think the same. Carnotaurus of papo we would be very cool  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Himmapaan

Are there actual rumours about a Papo Carnotaurus or is this just over-enthusiastic wishful thinking? :P I know people have expressed a wish for such a thing many times, but Papo haven't been known to be terribly forthcoming about their releases.

Takama

There are Threads in the Dinotoy Bourd that are dedicated to getting Papo to make a Diablceratops and Carnotaourus.

Personally, I dont think it would work.    If any of those figures are made by them, it would most likly be the Carnotarous, because its been pasted in the minds of the general puplic thanks to pop caulture

Horridus

I got hold of the Papo "Brachiosaurus" today, and it's a peculiar one. Of course, the production values are top-notch, but in terms of anatomical and stylistic influences it's a bit all over the place. The deep neck in particular (rather than a swan-like noodle-neck) is quite modern-looking, and the skull is surprisingly well researched, even three dimensionally (the snout is wide, whereas on eg. the Schleich it's too narrow). However, other parts of it are very retro-looking; the feet are wrong, of course, the skull is 'shrink wrapped', and the mega-wrinkliness of the neck is a bit odd looking. I like it overall - and I just might have to review it, if no one beats me to it - but I can't help but wonder what sources the sculptor used.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on November 23, 2012, 06:48:51 PM
There are Threads in the Dinotoy Bourd that are dedicated to getting Papo to make a Diablceratops and Carnotaourus.

Personally, I dont think it would work.    If any of those figures are made by them, it would most likly be the Carnotarous, because its been pasted in the minds of the general puplic thanks to pop caulture
I think it's a shame, the companies which are making great toys at the moment are the ones which listen to and act on feedback from their fans (Mojo, CollectA, Safari etc) I would like Papo to make their dinos more scientifically accurate too, but it seems they prefer to make their profits from Jurassic Park clones. Waste of potential really. And Schleich are just the same.

John

Quote from: Horridus on December 05, 2012, 07:27:47 PM
I got hold of the Papo "Brachiosaurus" today, and it's a peculiar one. Of course, the production values are top-notch, but in terms of anatomical and stylistic influences it's a bit all over the place. The deep neck in particular (rather than a swan-like noodle-neck) is quite modern-looking, and the skull is surprisingly well researched, even three dimensionally (the snout is wide, whereas on eg. the Schleich it's too narrow). However, other parts of it are very retro-looking; the feet are wrong, of course, the skull is 'shrink wrapped', and the mega-wrinkliness of the neck is a bit odd looking. I like it overall - and I just might have to review it, if no one beats me to it - but I can't help but wonder what sources the sculptor used.
I can tell by seeing the pictures of it on the net that Papo's Brachiosaurus is based on the ones that appeared in Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3.It seems to be a combination of the two designs. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Simon

The only thing that will prevent me from getting the Papo Brach is the neck, which is wayyyy too short.  It just doesn't look right - the neck is also way too wide, especially on the bottom.

Horridus

Quote from: Simon on December 05, 2012, 09:00:07 PM
the neck is also way too wide, especially on the bottom.
Probably, but I think it's better than having a noodle-neck. (If you mean in terms of actual width rather than depth...well, I haven't really looked into that yet. I only just got the thing and I've been watching Futurama all evening.) The head's certainly too large. Handy skeletal diagram (from Scott Hartman, the one and only!):

The legs on the Papo are also rather...chunky. They really do remind me of the old Carnegie.

It would be a fantastic figure to pick apart in a review - not in an overly negative way, but because it's large and detailed and allows close comparison of the anatomy. It's also interesting from a palaeoart/pop culture perspective. If I don't get there first, I might have to review it on LITC...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

ajax

Now with the cool Carno done lets move on to our next great therapod, GIGANOTOSAURUS C'mon Papo make it happen in 2014.

Takama

Yes and make big.    Like the schilech version. 

Horridus

Quote from: Takama on December 18, 2012, 12:26:01 AM
Yes and make big.    Like the schilech version.
But make no other aspect of it like the Schleich version.
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

And by Schleich Version, we mean the 1:40 Version.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sharptooth

Got the new Papo "battle-scarred" T.rex (basically the first dino figure i got after a 9 months hiatus) and let me tell ya he's simply AMAZING.

Maybe he's not totally accurate in scientific terms but who friggin' cares, he's basically a JP Rex 2.0 (therefore perfect for me!); you can see this guy has sustained many, many battles... Coincidentally i'm writing a fantasy tale with a young, battle-scarred rex as the main character, you can see a rough portrait of him on my DA page; with this guy on my computer desk i found that writing was even easier, so thank ya Papo, keep it on  8)

"I am the eyes in the night, the silence within the wind. I am the talons through the fire."

Horridus

Quote from: Sharptooth on December 20, 2012, 12:00:12 PM
Maybe he's not totally accurate in scientific terms but who friggin' cares
ME!

OK, not me either. (See the review.) It's a rather fanciful figure, but an absolutely stonking sculpt and one I'm very happy to own.
@Mhorridus

Yutyrannus

Quote from: ajax on December 17, 2012, 11:13:31 PM
Now with the cool Carno done lets move on to our next great therapod, GIGANOTOSAURUS C'mon Papo make it happen in 2014.
Yeah, that would be awesome! I have been wanting a Gignotosaurus from Papo since I was 6!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Got the new Papo "battle-scarred" T.rex (basically the first dino figure i got after a 9 months hiatus) and let me tell ya he's simply AMAZING.

Maybe he's not totally accurate in scientific terms but who friggin' cares, he's basically a JP Rex 2.0 (therefore perfect for me!); you can see this guy has sustained many, many battles... Coincidentally i'm writing a fantasy tale with a young, battle-scarred rex as the main character, you can see a rough portrait of him on my DA page; with this guy on my computer desk i found that writing was even easier, so thank ya Papo, keep it on  8)
What's your DeviantArt username? I want to see this guy :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Giga would be a great figure for Papo to make..when it comes to theropods I still want a Ceratosaurus from them though. ;)

suspsy

Yeah, the male T. rex really is fantastic. I love all his battle scars and his jagged teeth.

As I said in another thread, I'd love to see Papo do a Therizinosaurus. Imagine the claws!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on December 20, 2012, 10:11:50 PM

Yeah, the male T. rex really is fantastic. I love all his battle scars and his jagged teeth.

As I said in another thread, I'd love to see Papo do a Therizinosaurus. Imagine the claws!

Would be awesome no doubt..but not feathered at all I bet.. lol

suspsy

Yeah, I figure a Therizinosaurus by Papo would resemble the featherless version from Walking With Dinosaurs. Or perhaps it would mark a turning point for them and include plumage on the neck.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: