News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Quote from: Victoria B on July 24, 2015, 10:04:19 AM
I just received an Allosaurus and the feet don't sit flush. I believe this is due to the plastic tray, which was very tight on the legs. Also, one of the toe claws is blunt, which I think is also due to the tray. Anyone seen this or now of a fix?

A hairdryer will make the legs easier to bend into place, but the blunt toe is unfixable unless you either carve it or add some clay or something to shape it. My dilophosaurus has slightly-off legs as well, but it still stands so I'm not bothered.

Dobber

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 24, 2015, 03:49:23 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2015, 03:43:36 AM
I'm fairly certain there some slight differences between the green and brown standing rex. If you look both of the close ups you can the the nostril and the ridge along the top of the fenestrae appear different.

There are indeed. I posted some comparison shot s awhile back..in addition to the brown Rex having much better detail I think the head was resculpted overall. The back of the lower jaw is another area in addition to those you mentioned.

Thanks for the input, I thought they looked different. I really like the Brown's less JP inspired T -Rex look. To bad they didn't shrink and un-pronate the arms while they were at it. Anyone know if the new repaint will be using the Browns sculpt or the Green's?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Dilopho

Here's my brachiosaurus's neck, and as I said it seems to have red stripes (very faint ones, though) on the underside! Do any of the older versions have this?
(Apologies for all that dog hair. I haven't vacuumed yet.)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dobber on July 24, 2015, 11:12:03 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 24, 2015, 03:49:23 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 24, 2015, 03:43:36 AM
I'm fairly certain there some slight differences between the green and brown standing rex. If you look both of the close ups you can the the nostril and the ridge along the top of the fenestrae appear different.

There are indeed. I posted some comparison shot s awhile back..in addition to the brown Rex having much better detail I think the head was resculpted overall. The back of the lower jaw is another area in addition to those you mentioned.

Thanks for the input, I thought they looked different. I really like the Brown's less JP inspired T -Rex look. To bad they didn't shrink and un-pronate the arms while they were at it. Anyone know if the new repaint will be using the Browns sculpt or the Green's?

Chris

Actually I think the Brown one looks even more JP-like... lol

My guess is it will use the new sculpt as the older green one was retired/replaced by this new one.

Quote from: Dilopho on July 24, 2015, 12:27:28 PM

Here's my brachiosaurus's neck, and as I said it seems to have red stripes (very faint ones, though) on the underside! Do any of the older versions have this?
(Apologies for all that dog hair. I haven't vacuumed yet.)

Bought mine when it first came out and it does have reddish marking on the lower neck.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Dilopho on July 24, 2015, 10:21:00 AMA hairdryer will make the legs easier to bend into place, but the blunt toe is unfixable unless you either carve it or add some clay or something to shape it. My dilophosaurus has slightly-off legs as well, but it still stands so I'm not bothered.

I will try that out. The toe claw isn't a big deal as it's not really noticeable. Unfortunately, once in a while, Amazon decides that they don't need to put any bubble wrap in their packages whatsoever, so the figure does have a few minor paint rubs.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 23, 2015, 06:21:32 PM
I think this covers all of them, even the major color variants:

http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Papo_Dinosaurs

Thank you SO MUCH!

I'm currently missing then... original green T.rex and original JP color Raptor, Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Carnotaurus, Archaeopteryx, Dilophosaurus, baby Triceratops, Tupuxuara and Apatosaurus.

If anyone has them, PM me.

Dilophosaurus is priority because it's kind of my favorite dinosaur.

Victoria's Cantina

I was able to fix the Allosaurus somewhat with a hairdryer. It isn't a perfect fix, but it stands a little bit better.

I got a couple more new arrivals... the Baby Triceratops and the Ankylosaurus. The Baby Trike is so cute! :) The Anky is impressively detailed but unfortunately, it arrived with a broken toe. How in the heck does that happen? Seems like I don't have very good luck at all with new dinos.

Victoria's Cantina

Have you guys seen this before? I got a replacement Anky for the one with the broken toe, but one eye has a lot of yellow paint while the other one has none.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I've seen something similar where the cheetah's eye colors are reversed (Black where brown should be and vice versa).  I don't think the tongue on mine is that pink though, either.

EDIT: I compared it to mine and the paint isn't as good as it used to be. Yours even appears to have a lighter base color. I'm not saying it is a KO but it's very different.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tyrantqueen

I thought that was a KO for a moment. It has a "chinasaur eye" ;)

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 28, 2015, 09:13:52 PM
I've seen something similar where the cheetah's eye colors are reversed (Black where brown should be and vice versa).  I don't think the tongue on mine is that pink though, either.

EDIT: I compared it to mine and the paint isn't as good as it used to be. Yours even appears to have a lighter base color. I'm not saying it is a KO but it's very different.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 28, 2015, 10:10:42 PM
I thought that was a KO for a moment. It has a "chinasaur eye" ;)

Well gosh. How would you be able to tell if it's a KO? It has the Papo tags, but I guess that isn't a guarantee, huh? I'll probably return it once again and just wait a few months to get another one.

Chinasaur... LOL.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Victoria B on July 29, 2015, 01:56:16 AM
Well gosh. How would you be able to tell if it's a KO? It has the Papo tags, but I guess that isn't a guarantee, huh? I'll probably return it once again and just wait a few months to get another one.

Chinasaur... LOL.
If it came with Papo tags and has the stamp on the foot/underside I would assume it's legit. Papo figures are highly variable sometimes. From what I heard the stegosaurus doesn't have white spots anymore so your piece is probably newer and made after Papo changed it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on July 29, 2015, 02:20:05 AMIf it came with Papo tags and has the stamp on the foot/underside I would assume it's legit. Papo figures are highly variable sometimes. From what I heard the stegosaurus doesn't have white spots anymore so your piece is probably newer and made after Papo changed it.

My Stegosaurus doesn't have the white spots either. I bought it about a year and a half ago.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victoria B on July 28, 2015, 08:49:17 PM
Have you guys seen this before? I got a replacement Anky for the one with the broken toe, but one eye has a lot of yellow paint while the other one has none.

Where are you getting all these anomalies?!?!! ??? :o

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 29, 2015, 04:01:59 AMWhere are you getting all these anomalies?!?!! ??? :o

Haha. I was wondering why I've had a string of bad luck with dinosaurs lately. First the Rebor Utahraptor with its loose arms and Michael Jackson leaning impression, then the Rebor T-Rex with its paint rubs and bent tooth, then the Rebor Ceratosaurus with the wacky jaw and inability to stand 100% perfectly, then the Allosaurus which can't stand at all anymore at this point, and now two Ankylosauruses... one with a broken toe and a second with an unpainted eye. And other than the Utahraptor which was last month, the rest have all been within the last two weeks. Pretty frustrating! The Rebors are all BBTS but the Papos are all from Amazon. I've bought all my other Papos from Amazon over the last couple of years and have never had problems before. Sure, there are usually some paint flaws, but I've never had problems like these.

I guess I would be remiss if I didn't say what I've bought that DID work out over the last several days, and that's the Papo Baby Triceratops. No issues with that one!

Shadowknight1

Honestly, the only REBOR that was a real issue, I think, was the rex.  THat sucker was something that should've been caught at the packaging line, but snuck by.  The Ceratosaurus's legs are unfortunate, but it does stand on its base at least and I'm sure the jaw is just meant to work like that.  And the Utahraptor was unfortunately designed.  They should have forgone articulated arms or at  least made them permanently connected rather than being pegged in.  The leaning issue is one that can only be solved, it seems, by us.  I'm currently using a 1 1/2" tall acrylic riser that Wind Hunter's chest and left wing are resting on.  The Papo Allosaur having standing issues isn't new, my first acted like a lemming instead of a dinosaur.  The Ankylosaurus though, that's messed up beyond belief.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

joossa

Yeah, you've having some major bad luck there. My Papo Ankylosaurus has two yellow eyes with black pupils that are consistent with each other.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Dyscrasia

http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220434720904

There are some nice pics of the newly colored T. rex and Velociraptor (mass produced pieces, not the prototypes).

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Dyscrasia on July 29, 2015, 07:19:34 AM
http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220434720904

There are some nice pics of the newly colored T. rex and Velociraptor (mass produced pieces, not the prototypes).

Oh wow. I like the raptor, but I'm not sure how I feel about the T-Rex.

yankeetrex

gotta say im the opposite, I like the rex, not a fan of the Raptor. I thought Papo would do something more along the lines of the JW raptors as far as color scheme

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: