News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo

Started by Takama, May 17, 2012, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kreativtek

Quote from: joossa on June 27, 2015, 07:38:06 AM
Quote from: kreativtek on June 26, 2015, 10:30:07 PM
Yes. It is rubber, isn't it? It feels very different from the material used on the Carnotaurus.

Something sounds wrong. They should not have a rubbery feel to them and should all feel generally the same. I saw your collection video and your Allosaurus and Dimetrodon look a little strange to me. Are you sure they are legitimate Papo figures and not bootlegged?

I didn't post any videos, just photographs. I am sure they're legitimate, because I bought them from a trusted seller and they arrived in a Papo-branded plastic bags. The Allosaurus feels different, just like Tupuxuara and Apatosaurus. I think Papo might have changed the material they use to produce their figurines. Maybe it's cheaper.

joossa

Quote from: kreativtek on June 27, 2015, 07:50:28 AM
Quote from: joossa on June 27, 2015, 07:38:06 AM
Yes. It is rubber, isn't it? It feels very different from the material used on the Carnotaurus.

Something sounds wrong. They should not have a rubbery feel to them and should all feel generally the same. I saw your collection video and your Allosaurus and Dimetrodon look a little strange to me. Are you sure they are legitimate Papo figures and not bootlegged?

I didn't post any videos, just photographs. I am sure they're legitimate, because I bought them from a trusted seller and they arrived in a Papo-branded plastic bags. The Allosaurus feels different, just like Tupuxuara and Apatosaurus. I think Papo might have changed the material they use to produce their figurines. Maybe it's cheaper.
Apologies. I meant I looked at your collection thread that had pictures in it. Interesting, the paint job on yours seem to differ a bit from mine. My Dimetrodon doesn't have that prominent dark streak at the top of it's head. Then again, Papo is known for having slight variances on their paint apps.
Not sure about the material they are using. I purchased the Apatosaurus this year and it's material is comparable to the Brachiosaurus, for example.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

KeU

For starters, it is definitely not rubber. Should be some plastic blend.
I just checked my Allosaurus, Carnotaurus and Tyrannosaurus. Seems like the same plastic used on mine. Feel and Hardness pretty much similar.
Looked at your collection thread as well. Can't really tell.
Possible to post some detailed shots here??

kreativtek

Quote from: KeU on June 27, 2015, 07:03:18 PM

I just checked my Allosaurus, Carnotaurus and Tyrannosaurus. Seems like the same plastic used on mine. Feel and Hardness pretty much similar.
Looked at your collection thread as well. Can really tell.

Maybe it is not rubber, but the material is not as hard as the one used on my Running T-rex and Carnotaurus. It also has a different colour, which seem bleak and unhealthy to me. I don't think photos would do it justice, but compared to pics of the Allosaurus I found on the Internet, mine is significantly darker, with its underbelly being of a colour of wet sand (like this: click).

KeU

Quote from: kreativtek on June 27, 2015, 07:23:40 PM
Quote from: KeU on June 27, 2015, 07:03:18 PM

Looked at your collection thread as well. Can really tell.

Maybe it is not rubber, but the material is not as hard as the one used on my Running T-rex and Carnotaurus. It also has a different colour, which seem bleak and unhealthy to me. I don't think photos would do it justice, but compared to pics of the Allosaurus I found on the Internet, mine is significantly darker, with its underbelly being of a colour of wet sand (like this: click).

Sorry, meant to say "can't tell".

Here are some pics of mine, if it helps you solve this mystery.

Plasticbeast95

I only have two Paposaurs, the Pteranodon and the grey Velociraptor. the only place that sells Papo figures is the Hospitals giftshop, an hour away from where I live.

Victoria's Cantina

Has anyone in the US ordered on Amazon from the seller Buy 4 Less UK? There are a couple Papo models I've been wanting to purchase for the last week, and they're pretty much the only ones that have them. Their shipping indicates it can take a month to receive the items, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

KeU

No, I generally order my Papo stuff from Happy Hen as they are generally cheaper there.
Are we expecting another Papo review on your channel soon?

Takama

Quote from: Victorias Cantina on July 05, 2015, 09:04:09 PM
Has anyone in the US ordered on Amazon from the seller Buy 4 Less UK? There are a couple Papo models I've been wanting to purchase for the last week, and they're pretty much the only ones that have them. Their shipping indicates it can take a month to receive the items, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with them.

I had ordered from them several times, and they are cheapest when it comes to Shipping and Handling.   Every time i ordered from them, the items usually come sooner then predicted.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Victorias Cantina on July 05, 2015, 09:04:09 PM

I've ordered the Papo baby rexes and triceratops from them. Based on my experience, inexpensive (even less than U.S retailers with shipping!) and excellent service and quality. Sometimes they take a few weeks to deliver (maximum about a month).

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: KeU on July 05, 2015, 09:10:33 PM
No, I generally order my Papo stuff from Happy Hen as they are generally cheaper there.
Are we expecting another Papo review on your channel soon?

Thanks! I just checked out their site and they do in fact have attractive pricing. Too bad they don't have Apatosaurus though... I really want that one. And yes, I'll review whatever it is that I purchase! ;)

Quote from: Takama on July 05, 2015, 09:30:19 PMI had ordered from them several times, and they are cheapest when it comes to Shipping and Handling.   Every time i ordered from them, the items usually come sooner then predicted.

Wonderful, thank you!

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 05, 2015, 10:03:18 PMI've ordered the Papo baby rexes and triceratops from them. Based on my experience, inexpensive (even less than U.S retailers with shipping!) and excellent service and quality. Sometimes they take a few weeks to deliver (maximum about a month).

Thanks! They definitely do have the lowest prices on what they have in stock. It seems that hardly any Papo product is available for Amazon Prime right now. I wonder if that's a Jurassic World after-effect or something else.

Dilopho

My only Papo figure I have now is the Dilophosaurus (what other one could I possibly start with?)but I should be expecting a Brachiosaurus AKA Giraffotitan in the post sometime in the next month or so...I'm looking forward to it.
Which Papo figure would you guys recommend as the 'best'?

Paleona

Quote from: Dilopho on July 20, 2015, 06:51:30 PM
My only Papo figure I have now is the Dilophosaurus (what other one could I possibly start with?)but I should be expecting a Brachiosaurus AKA Giraffotitan in the post sometime in the next month or so...I'm looking forward to it.
Which Papo figure would you guys recommend as the 'best'?

I think it's pretty subjective as to what the "best" Papo is- best in terms of accuracy?  Best in terms of aesthetics, craftsmanship, personal taste? 

Personally, I really like their Allosaurus- the sculpt is fantastic and it's not too far off the mark in terms of accuracy.  The pose is fluid and is very stable on two feet!  I've also ordered their new Apatosaurus, which looks pretty nice to me, even if the neck is a bit odd.  I would also suggest their Styracosaurus; I don't own it, but it's high on my wish list. :)  The colors are vibrant (something Papo does rarely), the pose is dynamic, and from what I've read it's a fairly accurate depiction of the animal. 

tyrantqueen

Just look at pictures online and decide which one you like best. People can give you recommendations but at the end of the day the only person that it is important to please is yourself.

For me it's the Dimetrodon followed by the Allosaurus. Neither of them are highly accurate but they have such beautiful sculpting.

Shonisaurus

The dimetrodon is magnificent but the fault it is that it lacks the fifth claw foot hind legs.

What else is fabulous. Moreover another figure for me is good pachyrhinosaurus of the same brand. It is perhaps one of the pachyrhinosaurus of larger and more detailed that exist in solid plastic figures toy dinosaurs.

Moreover, it is highly recommended carnotaurus based Papo sideshow

Halichoeres

I'm with TQ on this one: lots of really incredible sculpting in this line, even if sometimes there are questionable choices anatomy-wise. I personally love the Styracosaurus, the Carnotaurus, the Allosaurus, and the Dimetrodon. Three of the four show evidence of drawing, let's say, inspiration from non-JP sources, which probably contributed to their being so good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

Aaaah...Papo.

I used to hate them, but...eh.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 20, 2015, 08:52:26 PM
The dimetrodon is magnificent but the fault it is that it lacks the fifth claw foot hind legs.

It also has scales when it shouldn't....but otherwise it is amazing, probably their best model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know if you could say for certain it didn't have scales. In my research I found people on both sides say it did, it didn't, it only had them on the belly, ect..

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 21, 2015, 03:09:41 AM
I don't know if you could say for certain it didn't have scales. In my research I found people on both sides say it did, it didn't, it only had them on the belly, ect..

Sorry for the confusion. I think one of the forum members [was it Appalachiosaurus? stargatedalek?...I forget..I apologize in advance....I'm not picking on you guys  :)) ]seemed 100% confident that Dimetrodon lacked scales and gave the impression that it was already confirmed by science. Unfortunately, I never bothered to double check the facts.. :-[

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: