News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. - New for 2016

Started by Halichoeres, January 20, 2016, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on July 21, 2016, 02:27:04 PM
The lack of feathers on the tyrannosaurs ruin them for me.
A little disappointed here as well  :-[ Even the guanlong doesn't have feathers... Which set are you most looking forward to? I'm most looking forward to the coelophysis set and the sinoceratops (not the tyrannosaur). 

Megalosaurus

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 21, 2016, 04:53:36 PM
Quote from: suspsy on July 21, 2016, 02:27:04 PM
The lack of feathers on the tyrannosaurs ruin them for me.
A little disappointed here as well  :-[ Even the guanlong doesn't have feathers... Which set are you most looking forward to? I'm most looking forward to the coelophysis set and the sinoceratops (not the tyrannosaur). 

Sorry that it disappointed you both, but in the good side: you are going to save some money!  ;D .

This makes sense for me:
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2016, 02:16:23 PM
[...] and although I think Favorite is a little conservative with feathers, they do usually include them when there's direct physical evidence of them.
(underlined by me)

And today there's no published direct evidence on those 2 species. So, many of us still accept this kind of modeling... (for now)...  8) (runs) 
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

postsaurischian

:o :o ARGH! A Guanlong! Now this is making me nervous. Of course I have to have to have (to have) especially at least this one!!!
I can already see fantgodspeed's eBay offers of about USD $80 for each of these sets in my mind :P ;D.
A friend of mine confirmed that the prices at the museum are different for each set, roughly USD $36  in average.

The only disappointing fact about these new releases is that they can't be ordered online, even within Japan, which means that in case you have someone in Japan who can go to the Fukui museum, you'll have to pay for the train fair & entrance fee too in the end :P.

But anyway - these are must-haves to me. Let's see what the future brings.

Flaffy

$36 a set on average?!  :o My wallet is gonna hurt...

empire3569

anyone  know what scale these will be in? 1:35?

Daspletodave

Quote from: empire3569 on July 22, 2016, 05:24:50 PM

Favorite dinosaurs are generally 1/50 scale.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Daspletodave on July 22, 2016, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: empire3569 on July 22, 2016, 05:24:50 PM

Favorite dinosaurs are generally 1/50 scale.

The recent Fukui museum releases (Concavenator, Pelecanimimus, Fukuisaurus, and Fukuiraptor) have all been around 1:20. If these all came in the same size box, they'd have to vary: maybe 1:20 for Redondasaurus/Coelophysis and 1:40 for Bisthieversor/Pentaceratops. But if the sets vary in price as postsaurischian indicated, then they might also vary in size but be all to the same scale. If so, I'd predict 1:20, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Postosuchus84

I have the Series 1 Green T.rex I picked up from Favorite and it's alright. Some of the newer sculpts definitely look nice and I see it fixed the balance issues somewhat that plague most theropod dinosaurs in all toylines by giving them a base to improve the stability. I still have my heart set on the series 1 releases though and even some of their higher-end stuff too. Feels like the quality has taken a turn in the newer PVC soft models they're coming out with though to a point. Maybe it's just the pictures though. I might try to acquire the feathered Rex. I always need feathered Tyrannosaurs in my collection.

Sim

On another note, even though Kazunari Araki's blog gives the name as Dilong, I believe the one in the set with Yinlong is actually Guanlong. Both Dilong and Guanlong have known skulls, and Guanlong is the only one with a crest. Guanlong is from the same Jurassic formation as Yinlong, whereas Dilong is from the Cretaceous Yixian formation. Finally, Dilong is known to have feathers, and although I think Favorite is a little conservative with feathers, they do usually include them when there's direct physical evidence of them.

I agree with your reasoning on why this is Guanlong rather than Dilong.  Also, on this page it says "Guanlong": http://dinomodel.cocolog-nifty.com/dinosaurs/2016/07/post-263f.html

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on July 25, 2016, 07:41:18 PM
On another note, even though Kazunari Araki's blog gives the name as Dilong, I believe the one in the set with Yinlong is actually Guanlong. Both Dilong and Guanlong have known skulls, and Guanlong is the only one with a crest. Guanlong is from the same Jurassic formation as Yinlong, whereas Dilong is from the Cretaceous Yixian formation. Finally, Dilong is known to have feathers, and although I think Favorite is a little conservative with feathers, they do usually include them when there's direct physical evidence of them.

I agree with your reasoning on why this is Guanlong rather than Dilong.  Also, on this page it says "Guanlong": http://dinomodel.cocolog-nifty.com/dinosaurs/2016/07/post-263f.html

Ah, thanks for the confirmation! Must have just been a typo in the earlier post.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Does anyone know where Favourite Co. figures are for sale? Like a Favourite Co. retail store? Or are the figures distributed all across Japan?

btb300

Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Postosuchus84

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on July 26, 2016, 08:04:09 PM
Does anyone know where Favourite Co. figures are for sale? Like a Favourite Co. retail store? Or are the figures distributed all across Japan?

Black Hills Institute also has them for sale. That's where I got the series 1 T.rex actually.

http://www.bhigr.com/store/home.php?cat=50

I imagine the stock is pretty limited on the series 1 figures actually.

Rain

I think Flaffy meant physical stores, as they actually happen to live in Japan if I recall correctly.

Postosuchus84

Quote from: Rain on July 26, 2016, 11:16:19 PM
I think Flaffy meant physical stores, as they actually happen to live in Japan if I recall correctly.

Ah. Sorry about that then on that note. I do not know the answer to that unfortunately.

btb300

Quote from: Postosuchus84 on July 27, 2016, 02:39:26 PM

Ah. Sorry about that then on that note. I do not know the answer to that unfortunately.

I'm sorry too then for misunderstanding the qustion...  :-[
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Sim

Quote from: btb300 on July 28, 2016, 11:35:30 AM

On FlaffyRaptors's profile, their location is HongKong...

Flaffy

Thanks guys for the kind help, I really appreciate it!  ;D
I guess I'll go on an old scavenger hunt again ^-^, for dinosaur figures.
Once again thanks for the replies!  :D

Rain

Quote from: Sim on July 28, 2016, 04:06:09 PM
Quote from: btb300 on July 28, 2016, 11:35:30 AM

On FlaffyRaptors's profile, their location is HongKong...

Yes yes, but I think they mentioned moving, to Japan presumably,  in this thread
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4608.msg135779#msg135779
See reply #3

Flaffy

I'm staying in Hong Kong :P  It was the shop (my only source for CollectA :'() that was moving, not me.
I hope this clears us the confusion, and I think we're going a little off topic here, eh?  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: