News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Dinosaur Art & Sculptures

Started by Archinto, January 23, 2016, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Oh, that looks much better in my opinion. Still very intimidating, though.
There's just something scary about a face-on view of a T. rex to me.

Archinto

Thanks! I definitely agree. Takes down the creepy factor a bit. Still no eyelids so it has a super blank expression. I did a test fit before this application with some sculpey just to see how itll look with eyelids, and I tell ya, it really brings life to the figure. It looks back at you.... O_o
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Archinto

I have several sculpts going at this time, so I figured while I'm contemplating my next move on the Rex, I'd share this Diatryma I'm working on. Gastornis gigantea is what it is based off of and it is done in 1:10 scale. I'm going to depict it with the option to go old style and have it hunting primitive horses, having one as an accessory that will fit in its mouth. It'll also have a cave woman riding its back hunting said horses.... It's gonna be epic!

The first application went well, I was able to set the eyes and do some of the initial feathering. The next application will be a fun one! Still need to add a little bit to the face here and there, and make eyelids, but its definitely a start! :)

1:10 scale Diatryma WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

1:10 Diatryma wip by Archinto, on Flickr

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Dilopho

That's beautiful! Why don't companies make good terror birds like that?!?

Archinto

I am really enjoying working in 1:10 scale. Granted some dinosaurs would be too prohibitive to make. Like an 8' tall brachiosaurus... But yeah, I agree on the lack of good terror bird figures out there. I'd love to cast these big figures and make them available for people to buy.

Jose S.M.

Archinto

Got some more work done on the Diatryma. Second and third putty application. The feathering is turning out better than I thought.

Diatryma WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

Lanthanotus

Looks very impressive, and great in size, though a bit skinny :). As I just prepared a review for the blog, I found that Diatryma/Gastornis is thought to have a coat of contour feather as most living birds, not hairlike feathers like ratites as emu or cassowary. Personally I like the "classic" look, but depending on what you want to depict...

May I ask where you live, that landscape looks impressive (well, the mountains rather than the crane/platform :D)?

Kayakasaurus

Great sculpting and pose, I really like it!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Archinto

Im kindof going for a classic look Where the bird is depicted as a predator. This is based off an old piece of artwork where the bird is hunting primitive horses. Its going to be a fantasy sort of piece as well with a sexy cave woman riding its back hunting said horses. Theres going to be one that will fit in its mouth as an accessory and it will have a base that it can be removed from. The cavegirl will be able to be removed as well as the saddle and halter that will be there.the feathering here is merely theinitial feathering. It will have a lot more girth as it gets built up. :)

I live in alaska. I have my project at the boat right now. :)

Lanthanotus

Haha, that also explains the hooked beak,... however, being slightly anachronistic in such things I like the "outdated" approach to that beast :D

Dilopho

Quote from: Archinto on October 29, 2016, 02:06:54 AM
Im kindof going for a classic look Where the bird is depicted as a predator. This is based off an old piece of artwork where the bird is hunting primitive horses.

This one?

Also, is it standing up on its own? That is very, VERY impressive!

Archinto

Thats the one. I have mine posed just like that, and itll have the little horses too. >:D so by looking at that pic you can get an idea of how it will look. I may go with a different color acheme on the bird. Will see....

It stands up pretty well for not having foot pads made yet. Its a bit precarious still at this point, but im going to try to make it able to stand with the horse in its mouth.

Dilopho

Quote from: Archinto on October 29, 2016, 04:00:33 PM
Its a bit precarious still at this point, but im going to try to make it able to stand with the horse in its mouth.
Then you must be pretty brave to chance taking photos of it on a ledge next to the ocean!

Archinto

Quote from: Dilopho on October 29, 2016, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: Archinto on October 29, 2016, 04:00:33 PM
Its a bit precarious still at this point, but im going to try to make it able to stand with the horse in its mouth.
Then you must be pretty brave to chance taking photos of it on a ledge next to the ocean!

On a boat rocking no less! Tuff bird...

Archinto

I did a big step on the T-rex today and am fleshing his face. Im going to do the same to the shoulders, sides and hips/thighs. We will see just how far this celluclay goes. I know Ill need another bag. The stuff handles so different. I like it and dislike it at the same time lol. Although it makes a killer base for laying down magic sculpt. The final skin will be made of magic sculpt. So, its still crude, but the grey will be the underlayment for final awesomeness! :3

1:10 t-Rex WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

More Progress....

1:10 T. Rex WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

After mixing that second batch, I found that following the instructions and using warm water to mix the celluclay is BAD. Makes it not blend. Use cool water. It increases the working time ten fold and results in a smooth surface. I fixed the face with some of this third batch and smoothed up the graininess from the hot mix.

I'll probably be fiddling with this for the better part of the night. I still have more dry clay to use, but I'll apply that next time hahaha zzzzzzzz *falls over*

Tyto_Theropod

Glad I found this thread - I had no idea you had this much talent! One thing I would recommend doing with your rex is making the fleshy nostrils slightly lower rather than putting them where they are on the skull - unless you're going for a retro look of course! ;)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Archinto

It may be too late to tweak the nose holes as the model is already beginning to skin in areas.... Kindof going for a modern paleontology & jp crossover. Kindof making him how i imagine t rex to look, while trying to keep some form of accuracy of sorts.  lol.:) i managed to extend the slits downward for the nostrils to make more room for the final outcome. I built it off the geoworld tenth scale t rex skeleton reposed to a more accurate pose. I may make a clip on feather coat for him to depict featheredness without actually feathering the model. Ive always preferred the leathery look.

Funny thing though is i was browsing the net looking at pics and discovered that Shane Foulkes is making a tenth scale rex thats almost identical to mine.... i never saw his piece before and i doubt he saw mine but i thought it was a funny coincidence that a novice and a master are both building the same rex hahahah. Granted though i beleive he is taking a much different approach than I am.

I think im gonna name my T Rex "Geo :3

Archinto

He now has a nose.... I plan on doing more face work today, his eyes are just too happy looking..... Geo is coming to life!

Silvanusaurus

Oh boy! The realism of the detail on that nose alone is immense!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: