News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Archinto's Dinosaur Art & Sculptures

Started by Archinto, January 23, 2016, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archinto

Thanks! I take a lot of pride in my tanks. that one is a 40g community tank, and I also have a 50g with monster fish across the room from the one you can see there.

I've started making the celluclay cores for the legs. Heres to seeing how the stuff dries... I really enjoy how the material handles, although mixing it is a rather powdery mess....

1:10 T. Rex WIP by Archinto, on Flickr

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Archinto

Got all the basic skull work finished. Done for the evening, as I have to let the legs dry. The celluclay takes a while, so Ill probably leave a fan on it overnight to see if that helps speed the drying process. Next session, Ill make the teeth and get the tail and neck leveled out so I can finish leveling the model in prep for its skin. I'm hoping that the glass eyes I ordered show up soon so I can make a pair of crazy eyes for this guy.

I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Rain

You work really quickly, haha. Looks good so far, are you going to feather it? Also, that's a killer piece of driftwood in the back :p

Archinto

Quote from: Rain on October 10, 2016, 02:21:38 PM
You work really quickly, haha. Looks good so far, are you going to feather it? Also, that's a killer piece of driftwood in the back :p

I dont think i will feather the t rex, even though its the popular depiction. Ive always viewed t rex as being leathery vs feathery. If I do decide to do any feathering on it itll probably only be along the backbone vs covering the body. Ill probably take some facial looks from the jp t rex, but give it my own style. Id like to try to make this guy look as accurate as i can make him. Its a vastly different process than building a small figure thats for sure. Id like to try and get this model cast once its done.

And thanks on the driftwood, the piece in my bigtank is also amazing!

Dilopho

Why not try something like this, from the NHM of Vienna? I love the long face look.

Archinto

Thats a pretty neat head bust. Not sure I really like the nostrils, but overall its a neat idea. Mine will probably not look very much like that one though. It'll be interesting to see how this comes out. The celluclay on the legs dried a lot faster than I was expecting, and should be fully cured after another night of drying. I got the top teeth sculpted and am waiting for them to cure before tackling the bottom teeth. Making minor adjustments to the teeth as they cure, making better points and making sure they are positioned right. :)

EDIT:
Got the rest of the dental work done. Now on to more fun buildup!

Archinto

Just finished this guy today!

I present, Hesperosuchus Agilis! I'll be posting this for sale here and on ebay soon, so if you want it, keep an eye on the classifieds!

Hesperosuchus Agilis by Archinto, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

That's a very beautiful sculpture, very detailed.

Archinto

Thank you! Im glad you like it! It sold within a couple hours of posting it on ebay, so I am thrilled! I need to make some  more small ones :)

I've done some more work on the 1:10 rex tonight, adding some more filler to the neck and body. This thing is starting to gain some weight. Im going to reinforce its legs with some welding rod and see if that helps. I want to keep it a free standing figure but unless I can get the legs and feet rock solid that wont happen. So, wire wire WIRE! See what happens....

A hand for scale....

With some JP T-rex's for scale

And with a Dino Rider T-rex

Archinto

Just finished up a special comission piece! Not gonna say who its for just yet  >:D

The armature is made from the Sue reconstructions, and then posed like old school paleontology depicted T-Rex back in the day. Overall I think it turned out pretty cool! It was very tedious to make...  :-X

"Sue" in Old Form 1:48 scale by Archinto, on Flickr

Takama

Gee why on earth would anyone commission something like that? :-\   Dinosaurs are better then ever, and they wanted something that harkens back to the old days when they are seen as nothing but slow dumb lizards?

To each there own i supose, but i all i have to say is that who ever commisioned this is insane  >:D

DinoLord

I imagine the customer commissioned it for nostalgic reasons. Certainly I will not hesitate to collect inaccurate figures out of nostalgia, though for me this usually means depictions resembling those of the Jurassic Park series. It does have a certain charm to it.

Takama

Quote from: DinoLord on October 23, 2016, 01:42:14 AM
I imagine the customer commissioned it for nostalgic reasons. Certainly I will not hesitate to collect inaccurate figures out of nostalgia, though for me this usually means depictions resembling those of the Jurassic Park series. It does have a certain charm to it.

Actually the customer wanted a collection of old school style dinosaurs based of of Vintage dinosaur pictures he saw on Love in Time of Chasmosaurus ;)

DinoLord

Quote from: Takama on October 23, 2016, 01:44:05 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on October 23, 2016, 01:42:14 AM

Actually the customer wanted a collection of old school style dinosaurs based of of Vintage dinosaur pictures he saw on Love in Time of Chasmosaurus ;)

Duly noted. A lot of those vintage artworks have a definite personality to them despite the lack of accuracy, one often missing from more modern works.

Takama

Here is the inspiration for the pose.

In case it was not obvious yes Im responsible for this models creation.   I thought it would be funny to make a collection of out dated replicas made like todays replicas.     Other ideas i have are a Sprawling legged Scolosaurus with the two spikes on its club., and a webbed handed ornithopod.

The end result of this T.Rex looks like something that came out of a Ray Harriausin movie, which is exactly what i wanted

Archinto

Hahaha yeah, you kinda gave yourself away there Takama.....  O:-)

Seeing as Sue's remains have never been assembled like this its interesting to see her frame posed old school like this. The bunny arms make me giggle! :3

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on October 23, 2016, 01:30:47 AM
Gee why on earth would anyone commission something like that? :-\   Dinosaurs are better then ever, and they wanted something that harkens back to the old days when they are seen as nothing but slow dumb lizards?

To each there own i supose, but i all i have to say is that who ever commisioned this is insane  >:D

That's a bit rude.

If I had the cash to spare, I wouldn't mind sprinkling something like this in my collection from time to time. I like the nostalgic feel.

copper

Quote from: Takama on October 23, 2016, 01:30:47 AM

Pieces like this are commissioned for the same reason the old "retro" dinosaur toys and models still have demand. Old classics are still valued because their design tells the history of the change dinosaurs have gone through over the years.

Takama

Guys it was me who commissiond the piece, and I was being sarcastic with my first post.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: