You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs of China exhibition - Nottingham

Started by DinoToyForum, February 19, 2016, 08:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

The Dinosaurs of China shop will stock Papo, including 2017 releases, Safari Ltd, including 2017 releases, and PNSO, but I've been told the latter might not arrive in time for the launch. Because PNSO.

ceratopsian

Oh dear!  I was really keen to get some new PNSO models. If they don't make it for launch day, would you be prepared to let us know when they arrive (and what arrives).  I am booked for opening day but could drive up again some other time.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 19, 2017, 06:29:00 PM
Oh dear!  I was really keen to get some new PNSO models. If they don't make it for launch day, would you be prepared to let us know when they arrive (and what arrives).  I am booked for opening day but could drive up again some other time.

Of course, I could put some aside for you. :)

ceratopsian

Thanks, that would be wonderful.  Putting items aside would be very helpful indeed.  If we need to go this route, maybe we could come up with a day when you would have time to say hello in person when I collect?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 19, 2017, 07:55:02 PM
Thanks, that would be wonderful.  Putting items aside would be very helpful indeed.  If we need to go this route, maybe we could come up with a day when you would have time to say hello in person when I collect?

Of course!  :D

ceratopsian

DinoToyForum

The Papo and Safari Ltd stock has arrived for the Dinosaurs of China shop and I'm like a kid in a candy store :))

Everything_Dinosaur

It opens on Saturday and it should be a brilliant exhibition.  Congratulations to the organisers, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for UK forum members to see these fossils.

Everything_Dinosaur

The brilliant "Dinosaurs of China - ground shakers to feathered flyers" starts today!

Article about the exhibition here: Dinosaurs of China Opens Today!

Congratulations to everyone who helped bring this amazing exhibition together.

Lanthanotus

Have a good stay at the exhibition all that can visit it (and shop there :D) ... hope I can attend too somewhen in autumn.

DinoToyForum

It was a wonderful day for the Nottingham Natural History Museum at Wollaton Hall as thousands of visitors came to see the dinosaurs. Dinosaurs of China opened to the public today and it was a delight. It's the first time I can remember a queue to get into the building, but it is well worth the wait! I could spend a whole day watching visitors' reactions as they enter the Great Hall to be confronted by our towering Mamenchisaurus for the first time.

I was also pleased to meet our very own Ceratopsian - although I regret that I didn't have time to catch up properly. Ceratopsian, I trust you enjoyed the Gigantoraptor and other feathered dinosaurs upstairs, and made it to Lakeside Arts, too? Were you tempted by anything in the shop? ;)

ceratopsian

It was indeed a wonderful day.  Though I'm delighted to say the queue wasn't quite that long when my husband and I joined it around 9.35 for the 10.00 slot!  The exhibition is superb and everyone involved should be congratulated.  The fossils and casts are beautifully displayed.  There's plenty of information, well presented.  The PNSO artwork is amazing as a support to the bones.  I loved the touches of having "packing cases" fencing off some of the exhibits, also the painted footprints to lead us through.  The exhibition catalogue is an excellent memento.  Very, very good colour reproduction.  I also love the way that each dinosaur has its name in Chinese characters as well as English.  I've never seen that done before.  Although I knew intellectually how big Gigantoraptor was, somehow my brain hadn't registered that in terms of "real" space taken up until I stood beside the cast.  I can also commend the docent/volunteer (?) who chatted to me about the Sinosauropteryx at length and in some detail and who was also doing a splendid job engaging children. 

I think the star for me, however, was the 3D Mei long.  It was lovely to hear a young boy asking his dad which part of the dinosaur he was looking at, then seeing his amazement as he took in his father's explanation that some dinosaurs were small and he was looking at the whole thing.

We did indeed walk to Lakeside and back.  I bought a smartphone a couple of months back, and this was the ideal opportunity to work out how to use map guidance was we walked over.

I'm glad I had the courage to make myself known to Adam and chat - normally I'm quite shy!  I hope we can catch up further when the PNSO models arrive.  I would really like to see the exhibition again a second time. By the way, it was quite amusing watching you up on the gallery before we spoke.  Your excitement was palpable.

The shop!  It was packed - and the queue!  You need more than one till in operation!  I had the new Safari releases already, but I bought the Wild Safari Yutyrannus and Apatosaurus to remind me of my day out.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 01, 2017, 10:11:27 PM
It was indeed a wonderful day.  Though I'm delighted to say the queue wasn't quite that long when my husband and I joined it around 9.35 for the 10.00 slot!  The exhibition is superb and everyone involved should be congratulated.  The fossils and casts are beautifully displayed.  There's plenty of information, well presented.  The PNSO artwork is amazing as a support to the bones.  I loved the touches of having "packing cases" fencing off some of the exhibits, also the painted footprints to lead us through.  The exhibition catalogue is an excellent memento.  Very, very good colour reproduction.  I also love the way that each dinosaur has its name in Chinese characters as well as English.  I've never seen that done before.  Although I knew intellectually how big Gigantoraptor was, somehow my brain hadn't registered that in terms of "real" space taken up until I stood beside the cast.  I can also commend the docent/volunteer (?) who chatted to me about the Sinosauropteryx at length and in some detail and who was also doing a splendid job engaging children. 

I think the star for me, however, was the 3D Mei long.  It was lovely to hear a young boy asking his dad which part of the dinosaur he was looking at, then seeing his amazement as he took in his father's explanation that some dinosaurs were small and he was looking at the whole thing.

We did indeed walk to Lakeside and back.  I bought a smartphone a couple of months back, and this was the ideal opportunity to work out how to use map guidance was we walked over.

I'm glad I had the courage to make myself known to Adam and chat - normally I'm quite shy!  I hope we can catch up further when the PNSO models arrive.  I would really like to see the exhibition again a second time. By the way, it was quite amusing watching you up on the gallery before we spoke.  Your excitement was palpable.

The shop!  It was packed - and the queue!  You need more than one till in operation!  I had the new Safari releases already, but I bought the Wild Safari Yutyrannus and Apatosaurus to remind me of my day out.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The "packing cases" that form the plinths for some of the dinosaurs are the actual crates that the dinosaurs travelled from China in. That led to the creative choice for the rest of the barriers.

The volunteer you spoke to was Martin. We are very lucky to have him - he basically spoke non-stop the whole day! He's a great asset to our excellent team of volunteers.

Wollaton Hall is rarely so busy and today could well have been a footfall record, but at least now the shop staff know what to expect. :)) Glad you took away something to remind you of your visit.

Just let me know when you schedule your next visit and I'll be very happy to continue where we left off.

Night Maw

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 19, 2017, 06:02:00 PM
The Dinosaurs of China shop will stock Papo, including 2017 releases, Safari Ltd, including 2017 releases, and PNSO, but I've been told the latter might not arrive in time for the launch. Because PNSO.

Hi, I'm going to the exhibit on Tuesday and its a 3 hour journey for me, so was wondering what's the likelihood of the PNSO models arriving to the gift store by then? (ever the optimist I am :P) Thanks

DinoToyForum

It is unlikely, but I'll post here as soon as they arrive.  8)

BlueKrono

Congrats on the resoundingly successful opener!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

BlueKrono

Fun article. But I wonder why they repeatedly didn't capitalize Mamenchisaurus?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

DinoToyForum

Yes, I feel like I've spent most of the last year reminding editors, designers and journalists to italicise and capitalise the first letter of genus names. It's a losing battle.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: