News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

Has the Amargasaurus also been changed in the way they paint the model? Today I got mine and I am very disappointed to say the least.  :(

I am not sure if I just was unlucy and got a bad copy or if every copy now is like this. Comparing it to every review video and pictures from collectors, including the one above by B @Bokisaurus mine seems to be a lot less saturated. The colors look washed, the yellowish undertone of the model is very faint, the green is not as bright and the markings are very "blurry", undefined. Also the model seems more flat, nos as glossy as it used to be.

The base too is very slopply painted compared to Boki's, the little green tufts of vegetation are painted so faintly I can barely notice any color.

Carnoking

That is very bizarre. Yours almost looks smoothed over. Seems too young a sculpt to be experiencing mold fatigue, but perhaps PNSO is unfortunately not focusing their energy on the older products with all of these new releases...

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 30, 2020, 02:10:16 PM
Has the Amargasaurus also been changed in the way they paint the model? Today I got mine and I am very disappointed to say the least.  :(

I am not sure if I just was unlucy and got a bad copy or if every copy now is like this. Comparing it to every review video and pictures from collectors, including the one above by B @Bokisaurus mine seems to be a lot less saturated. The colors look washed, the yellowish undertone of the model is very faint, the green is not as bright and the markings are very "blurry", undefined. Also the model seems more flat, nos as glossy as it used to be.
The base too is very slopply painted compared to Boki's, the little green tufts of vegetation are painted so faintly I can barely notice any color.

Looks like a pretty unfortunate case of Paint Application Crappification Syndrome. Stuff like this makes me wary of waiting on too many of their new models. Gotta get that first production run, or you end up with basically an official bootleg.

Quote from: Carnoking on November 30, 2020, 04:00:55 PM
That is very bizarre. Yours almost looks smoothed over. Seems too young a sculpt to be experiencing mold fatigue, but perhaps PNSO is unfortunately not focusing their energy on the older products with all of these new releases...
It's hard to tell from the photos, but I'd guess the problem is more likely solely with the paint app than with the mold. The newer one with a matte airbrushed texture is not capturing the nuances of the sculpt as well because it doesn't leak into the spaces between the scales, being a different consistency of paint.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Kapitaenosavrvs

oof. I can feel your dissapointment. Thats not a cheap Figure aswell. Looks like it is unfinished. Wash and Drybrush seem to be missing completely.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on November 30, 2020, 04:46:06 PM

oof. I can feel your dissapointment. Thats not a cheap Figure aswell. Looks like it is unfinished. Wash and Drybrush seem to be missing completely.

Are PNSO's figures handpainted? I remember a recent video from Vitae showed theirs aren't, at least not now. I wonder if more companies are switching to automated painting, we're going to lose the extra detail you get from adding e.g. washes to figures.

Kapitaenosavrvs

I do not know, but looking at the new PNSO Figures, they look absolutely gorgeous. A wash could be done with an automatic painting machine too, i would guess.

Sarapaurolophus

I'm sorry you pulled a dud, avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro
Can you return and exchange it?

Ikessauro

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on November 30, 2020, 07:52:03 PM

I think I could return it, but it's not worth the hassle. I live in Brazil and shipping it back would be a long and annoying process. I am waiting on the response from the seller and from PNSO. Let's see what they say. In the end I might have to touch up the paint myself, which I prefer not to do, since I keep my models mostly in their original factory condition. If it was a cheaper model I could order another from a different seller and see if it comes like this too. But since it's more costly, I am afraid to order another and get the same result.

terrorchicken

it looks like someone attacked it with the PS blur tool.  :-\

Bread

Quote from: Ikessauro on November 30, 2020, 08:43:09 PM

I think I could return it, but it's not worth the hassle. I live in Brazil and shipping it back would be a long and annoying process. I am waiting on the response from the seller and from PNSO. Let's see what they say. In the end I might have to touch up the paint myself, which I prefer not to do, since I keep my models mostly in their original factory condition. If it was a cheaper model I could order another from a different seller and see if it comes like this too. But since it's more costly, I am afraid to order another and get the same result.
I am sorry about your model. Things like this make me worried sometimes about ordering any product in general. I recently had issues with Wilson V3 getting through customs, package was sent back to original seller (PNSO) off of Amazon. Hopefully I get a full refund here soon. If I may ask, what is the seller who provided the figure? Amazon, Aliexpress, etc?
So far, PNSO have been responding to me pretty quickly, hopefully they resolve your issue as well.

Ikessauro

Quote from: Bread on December 01, 2020, 01:27:41 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on November 30, 2020, 08:43:09 PM

I am sorry about your model. Things like this make me worried sometimes about ordering any product in general. I recently had issues with Wilson V3 getting through customs, package was sent back to original seller (PNSO) off of Amazon. Hopefully I get a full refund here soon. If I may ask, what is the seller who provided the figure? Amazon, Aliexpress, etc?
So far, PNSO have been responding to me pretty quickly, hopefully they resolve your issue as well.

It was ordered from Aliexpress

Bokisaurus

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro  sorry that your Amarga isn't up to standards.
Yeah, definitely downgraded in quality especially the base!
I can only imagine that production and quantity control is severely impacted by the pandemic so newer production is not the same quality as the earlier runs.
I wonder if anyone else had the same problem like yours.

David Hingtgen

Quote from: Ikessauro on December 01, 2020, 02:33:02 AM

Can you say which seller exactly? One of the big ones?   Is there any indication on the box that it's a newer production run?  (I had planned to buy one soon, but now I'm worried about getting a "new" one)

Dinoguy2

Quote from: David Hingtgen on December 01, 2020, 06:59:40 AM
Quote from: Ikessauro on December 01, 2020, 02:33:02 AM

Can you say which seller exactly? One of the big ones?   Is there any indication on the box that it's a newer production run?  (I had planned to buy one soon, but now I'm worried about getting a "new" one)

I don't know how widely available old PNSO figures are on eBay, but it might be worth buying one there or from somewhere you can see in-hand pics rather than stock photos.

SidB

Pretty rare I think. I look for used ones fairly regularly and though I picked up a Wilson and a Doyle two summers ago at a real bargain price, I haven't seen anything since on Ebay since, though I don't check every day.

paleochris

Hello !

I have exactly the same copy with this faded paint and with a much less marked and contrasted yellow tone. I bought it 3 weeks ago at lanatimeshop, I think it's a series with either a default in the paint, or just a new paint scheme but I think only PNSO could tell us.

it seems that they also changed their painting on Duke the Spinops, so maybe it's the case on others as well?

BlueKrono

Quote from: paleochris on December 01, 2020, 04:10:39 PM

I bought this Amargasaurus about a year ago before I got rid of my Amazon account, and it looked just like this - drab and boring colored. It was pretty underwhelming to say the least, but it's not a new issue. Does anyone have a brightly colored one like in the online photos?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Bokisaurus

It's pretty common that later product runs are not as vibrant as the first ones.
I learned that years ago so I have been trying if I can afford it to get figures I really want as soon as they are released.
I'm still kicking myself I didn't get the Vitae figures, later runs are so deteriorated in quality.

RaptorRex

Maybe slightly related to this but I ordered the Yangchuanosaurus and Chunkingosaurus off of Aliexpress and they arrived today. One of the things I noticed is that the booklet it comes with doesn't seem to match up with any of the booklets in Youtube reviews? Mine is all in English and even includes two illustrations of Dayong and Xiaobei. The booklet is copyrighted for 2016 even though the set released in 2019. The box is also primarily in English? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Photo of box:

Something I noticed is that it says to contact Usa.pnso.org instead of Yiniao.org.

Carnoking

Can't offer any insight, but that's an awesome illustration!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: