News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO dinosaurs

Started by Fluffysaurus, March 23, 2016, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Bernie Brontosaurus on November 28, 2020, 06:44:12 PM
Y'all see this yet? Edmontonia is coming too!

https://www.facebook.com/1565285753750119/posts/2843260969285918/?d=n

The neck osteoderms on the Edmontonia look further back than I've seen them on Edmontonia rugosidens skeletons.  Anyone know the reason for this, or if it's inaccurate?  Could it be that the figure represents Edmontonia longiceps?  Compare with Scott Hartman's Edmontonia rugosidens skeletal for example: https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/ornithiscians/edmontonia

Bread

avatar_RaptorRex @RaptorRex so I took a look at my box and booklet of my Yangchuanosaurus and Chungkingosaurus. Mine is the exact same as yours, I have noticed the difference with my product compared to youtube reviews as well. I also want to point out you should take a look at your Chungkingosaurus, mine lacks the pink blush on its head compared to youtube videos.
Note: I ordered my product from amazon (pnso's store off of amazon).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

suspsy

So . . . whatever happened to the Zhuchengtyrannus? Is that still a thing?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

I'm sure it is with how PNSO have been going, but I was just thinking they might have blown their wad early revealing this big ol rex now instead of closer to the end. I'm sure they've got a lot of great stuff coming up, but this feels like one of the "big sellers" of the group. And with it being a pricier option released now, I'm sure that's going to dissuade some future purchases for some, at least for the time being.

Syndicate Bias

My money is on Lucas 2.0

Faelrin

S @Syndicate Bias Honestly I'm hoping for that. They did a new more accurate Spinosaurus, and now same for the T. rex. A remade Giganotosaurus would complete the trio of giant theropods.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

acro-man

Super excited! Zhao Chuang did a 20 min video review for his new Wilson!
It's more like a lecture about how to re-build a T-rex rather than a toy review.
Link:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1dh411Z7rD

I have concluded some useful insights for you guys.
Sorry if there's any misunderstanding caused by my limited English.

1. General info
- it was sculpted during the T-rex special exhibition in American Museum of Natural History period, which I remember was 2019

- it is based on AMNH5027 - scanned the skeleton and added flesh.

- the AMNH5027 skeleton on display has 50 more caudal vertebrae. New Wilson corrected that by decreasing the caudal vertebrae to 40 some due to the more complete tail found on Sue

2. Some facts
- the nostrils are placed more front and more down

- there are 2 "holes" inside the mouth, one on each side of the cheek, to store the cheek muscle when mouth is closed, like a crocodile

- arms look shorter than usual, because half of the upper arms were hidden under the body skin(06:40)

- toenails look small, because a large part is inside of the big fat foot cushion, like an ostrich (08:07)

3. Why lipless?
In general, T-rex has more similarity with crocodiles than lizards.

- there are mesh impressions found on the T-rex face stretching to the edges of the mouth, meaning large scales used to directly cover the roots of the tooth, very similar to a crocodile(12:27)

- when mouth is closed, the shape of the upper and low jaw matches each other pefectly, and there are small holes on the upper jaw for the lower teeth to fit in, while morden lizards don't have matched jaws and that's why they need lips(14:08)

- T-rex's upper jaw is much wider than its lower jaw, and they function like a plier - fixing the meat and tearing it violently, very different than modern lizards' gentle way of eating. So lizards are not a very good benchmark for reconstructing T-rex.

4. Skin impressions
Little skin impressions were discovered for T-rex, but a lot for its relatives such as Tarbosaurus and Albertosaurus, which new Wilson is based on.

- the NECK. The skin impression on the back of the neck looks like a plucked chicken skin. Many believe it implies feather but no conclusion.

- the BACK. There are asymmetrically arranged trenches seperating the skin into individual "pieces" like leaf stems. Each piece consists of small, randomly shaped scales in millimeters of size. From afar, these pieces look like big plates.(17:02)

- the SIDES. Small scales in 1-5mm of size, pentagon and hexagon. The closer to the belly, the bigger they become.

- the BELLY. Thick square scales.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

paleochris

Thanks for the info! i think it's fantastic that the sculptor gives us a complete review of his model, justifying his stylistic choices with paleontological arguments! it gives this figure superior credibility. It may not be as beautiful as a Régina Mundi, but it's a must have in models under $100 for all those who want a very accurate scientific T Rex.
PNSO shows us once again its professionalism and the care taken in its realizations. Thank you Zhao Chuang for this video!

ceratopsian

Thank you for this interesting and very illuminating resume of the video, avatar_acro-man @acro-man.  (And I would not describe your English as "limited", by the way. You are too modest!)  Full marks to PNSO and Zhao Chuang for producing the video and explaining his sculptural choices.

Ezikot

avatar_acro-man @acro-man thank you very much for the video and for explaining what he said.

Flaffy

I find it odd that Zhao recognises that the scales on Tyrannosaurus's body are extremely small, yet fail to depict this on the actual figure.

The scales on the back can kinda be excused since as Zhao said, the clusters of small scales would resemble larger scales from afar.

Yet the hexagonal/pentagonal flank scales are still depicted as large plates?

This makes me wonder if the BotM Tyrannosaurus has oversized body scales as well. To a lesser extent than PNSO.

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 02, 2020, 06:33:22 PM
It's pretty common that later product runs are not as vibrant as the first ones.
I learned that years ago so I have been trying if I can afford it to get figures I really want as soon as they are released.
I'm still kicking myself I didn't get the Vitae figures, later runs are so deteriorated in quality.
This discussion was the occasion  for me to check out my PNSO Amargasaurus, which I got about 11 months ago, well before the pandemic. Sure enough, it has all the characteristics, paint-wise, of the more recent one with a drop in quality. I too had wondered why it was markedly different from the very striking paint work of the original. Now I know that it wasn't just mine, but part of a pretty common pattern for later-run figures.

Bread

Thanks for posting the video acro, as well as providing information/summary of the video!

I noticed a Tsintaosaurus in the back top right of his shelf. Wonder if that is an old unreleased model or something new? :o

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on December 21, 2020, 01:32:43 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 02, 2020, 06:33:22 PM
It's pretty common that later product runs are not as vibrant as the first ones.
I learned that years ago so I have been trying if I can afford it to get figures I really want as soon as they are released.
I'm still kicking myself I didn't get the Vitae figures, later runs are so deteriorated in quality.
This discussion was the occasion  for me to check out my PNSO Amargasaurus, which I got about 11 months ago, well before the pandemic. Sure enough, it has all the characteristics, paint-wise, of the more recent one with a drop in quality. I too had wondered why it was markedly different from the very striking paint work of the original. Now I know that it wasn't just mine, but part of a pretty common pattern for later-run figures.

Do we have any idea on when the crappification started? If it was only the first run that had good paint, then it would be really disappointing. As it would be an absolute pain to try to track down a first-run Amargasaurus. 

I wonder if this phenomenon has affected other figures like the Yangchuanosaurus set.

KeU

Wow, what a fantastic video.
I learnt a lot.
Especially on the muscle attachments to the arm.
And Zhao's justification on going with the lip less approach.
Got me thinking... if Doug has time to do videos like this on his figures.
Would be educational to understand his thought process making the Safari figures.

Anyone noticed the Hadrosaur on the top shelf. My phone is too small to identify it.

Fingers crossed for Lucas V2.

Bread

Quote from: KeU on December 21, 2020, 01:47:43 PM

Anyone noticed the Hadrosaur on the top shelf. My phone is too small to identify it.

Fingers crossed for Lucas V2.
I noticed it too. To me it looks like a Tsintoasaurus. I looked through the PNSO reference thread and it could be the "Age of Dinosaurus" 1/20 scale Tsintoasaurus, without the rock base, but it looks too small to be compared to the Wilson V1 display on the left.

Dinoxels

It appears to be a very outdated Tsintaosaurus reconstruction, I hope they revisit it and give it the proper crest needed.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dinoguy2

I wish I hadn't watched that video, because it convinced me to buy it  ;D

Any Ali Express links yet? Hopefully it will be cheaper there than on Amazon.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Baryonyx

D @Dinoguy2 this is the cheapest listing at the moment I believe, from Model Toy Center!
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP4tVdF

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: