News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you currently reading.

Started by Takama, May 25, 2012, 05:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on August 28, 2012, 03:18:47 AM
I always heard that watership down was a movie that scared kids who were took to see it by mistake.

I am now reading several Text Books for College ::).

Both the movies "Watership Down" and "The Plague Dogs" aren't really appropriate for younger children without parental guidance. They both contain scenes of death and suffering and blood (The Plague Dogs more so). That said, "Watership Down" was my favorite movies growing up and one of the first movies I ever recall watching and it didn't scare or traumatize me.

Weaver

Right now, I'm reading one of my all-time favorite books "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Roselaar

Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide

I'm not all that fond of Cameron's Avatar, but this is a fun little book. It's kinda like The World of Kong: A Natural History of Skull Island (BEST BOOK EVER!), except the artwork is not nearly as exciting and it's Avatar instead of King Kong.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: radman on August 28, 2012, 01:29:47 AM
The Plague Dogs, by Richard Adams.
Actually read this first about 30 (!) years ago.  Very English/Lakeland  dialog.  A good read, tantalizing in the sense that one can just sort-of, barely remember what happens next.  Recommended for anglophiles.  Having worked on occasion with animals in some similar contexts in the US, at least I can say that humane procedures have improved  since this time.
:P
I've read Watership Down and some of The Plague Dogs. I stopped reading Plague Dogs 'cause it was too sad and disturbing :(

radman

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 28, 2012, 05:58:39 PM
Actually read this first about 30 (!) years ago.  Very English/Lakeland  dialog.  A good read, tantalizing in the sense that one can just sort-of, barely remember what happens next.  Recommended for anglophiles.  Having worked on occasion with animals in some similar contexts in the US, at least I can say that humane procedures have improved  since this time.
I've read Watership Down and some of The Plague Dogs. I stopped reading Plague Dogs 'cause it was too sad and disturbing :(
I'm having a hard time getting through it the second time, now that I know more about these things.  The Lakeland accent is a bit of a challenge as well; 'roondaboot hyers, ya hinney!'.
^-^
Still I'm determined to finish it, again.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: radman on August 28, 2012, 06:19:12 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 28, 2012, 05:58:39 PM
I'm having a hard time getting through it the second time, now that I know more about these things.  The Lakeland accent is a bit of a challenge as well; 'roondaboot hyers, ya hinney!'.
^-^
Still I'm determined to finish it, again.
I love dogs so whenever I see them being hurt or abused I subconsciously imagine my own dog in a similar situation and it upsets me. I saw the Plague Dogs and Watership Down animated films too. I did find WD a bit disturbing as a child (especially the trippy parts with the dead rabbits in the warrens) but found Plague Dogs much more saddening. Especially the part when that man gets accidentally shot in the face :(

As for the accents, I am English but I struggle a bit with Northern accents. Must be the North/South divide XD

I am reading this book right now

Bela Lugosi ftw :)

Takama

I found vampires to be less scarey since they were ruind in Twilight.

But i think they can still be desturbing if done right. >:D

ZoPteryx

I'm currently reading my anthropology textbook for school. :P  Don't get me wrong, there's some interesting information there, but it's pretty dry on the whole.

What I wish I was reading is the new field guide to the birds of New Guinea, which was supposed to have come out yesterday after two years of delays.  I just checked my supplier's website, and it's not even listed anymore!!!  It better not have been pushed back again! >:(

Gwangi

I just got done reading "Illumination in the Flatwoods: A season with the wild turkey" by Joe Hutto. Excellent book about his experience rearing and living with imprinted wild turkeys. I highly suggest it and since turkeys are extant dinosaurs why wouldn't you?

If you don't want to read the book I suggest at least watching the PBS documentary "My Life as a Turkey", a very abbreviated re-telling as told by Hutto himself. The documentary is very good and was the catalyst for my eventual purchase of the book.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/my-life-as-a-turkey/full-episode/7378/

tyrantqueen

I saw that turkey thing on television once! It was interesting, but a bit...weird.

The part at the end with Turkey Boy was pretty sad though :-[

QuoteI found vampires to be less scarey since they were ruind in Twilight.

But i think they can still be desturbing if done right.
Erm..comparing Dracula to Twilight is like comparing apples to oranges- there is no comparison :/

My favourite vampire is Count Von Count from Sesame Street....I loved it as a kid :)

XD He is waaay more awesome than that overrated Elmo ;)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 08, 2012, 06:30:20 AM
I saw that turkey thing on television once! It was interesting, but a bit...weird.

Is it because he thought about eating a grasshopper?

QuoteThe part at the end with Turkey Boy was pretty sad though :-[

It was but in actuality their relationship did not end as the documentary described, not even close. I understand the filmmakers had to edit down his story but the part about Turkey Boy was very misleading. I don't want to say too much about the book but the two actually parted ways on a positive note and as friends. The fight between them did occur but it was not the end of their relationship.

Takama

Im now reading several Creative Writeing student works from the Creative Writeing class at school.

I had to write one myself, and yes Its about dinosaurs. Something thats diffrent from the other peoples storys >:D.

CityRaptor

After having recently ( Okay, probably a month ago ) read "The Dinosaur Heresies", I'm currently reading a different, classic, but  at the time however heretic book by a bearded man also named Robert: "On the Origin of Species" by Charles Robert Darwin.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Got this book for a buck seven, and i must say, its worth more then that

Gwangi

I'm reading "Heart and Blood: Living with Deer in North America."

Roselaar

Watching the Watchmen by Dave Gibbons.

ZoPteryx

Lizard Care: A to Z and Terrarium Basics for about the tenth time each.  Hoping to get some Flat-rock lizards soon! ;D

tyrantqueen

An Unknown Encounter: A True Account of the San Pedro Haunting. I like reading about Poltergeist related incidents.

Jetoar

I am reading The dragon lance chronicles  ^-^
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

deanm

A Dover republication the classic "Dragons of the Air" by  H. Seeley

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: