News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Alternate Species for Figures

Started by Zhuchengotyrant, July 05, 2016, 10:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhuchengotyrant

In this topic, you just write down which dinosaur you use as another dinosaur. For example, my Papo Allosaurus is used as a Saurophaganax, and my CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus is used as a Zhuchengtyrannus. Now tell me what you guys use as a non-intended species!  :P
-Zhuchengotyrant

Pachyrhinosaurus

To start, we have most "ankylosaurus" figures being either euoplocephalus or scolosaurus.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Roselaar

How about mammals? I think few collectors pretend the Bullyland Mastodon isn't actually a Gomphotherium...

Flaffy

I use the Safari brachiosaurus figures as giffafatitans.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm a stickler for 1:40 scale critters, so that means a lot of my Safari Toob creatures are standing in for larger relatives.

For example, I use Iguanodon as Zalmoxes, and all the maniraptorans from the Feathered Dinosaur Toob are "generic mid-sized dromaeosaur/oviraptorsaur/therizinosaur". I also use the Schleich Mini Quetzalcoatlus as Azhdarcho/Eurazhdarcho. I'm about to get the Collecta Hypsilophodon family, which I will of course use to represent any creature once classified as a "hysilophodont" depending on what I'm displaying it with.

Oh! I also have several species that have been discovered in Texas, but none of the sauropods, so when displayed alongside those critters my Carnegie Brachiosaurus and Camarasaurus stand in for Sauroposeidon/Paluxysaurus and Astrodon/Pleurocoelus, respectively.

Quote from: Zhuchengotyrant on July 05, 2016, 10:08:00 PM
In this topic, you just write down which dinosaur you use as another dinosaur. For example, my Papo Allosaurus is used as a Saurophaganax, and my CollectA feathered Tyrannosaurus is used as a Zhuchengtyrannus. Now tell me what you guys use as a non-intended species!  :P

I've been meaning to get the Papo Allosaurus for the same purpose.

CarnegieCollector

I use my carnegie diplodocus as an amphicoelias  :P
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

terrorchicken

until somebody makes dire wolves Ill have to use extant wolf figures. Same with cave bears and brown bears.

MLMjp

I use the 2008 Schleich replicasaurus Brachiosaurus as Brachiosaurus, because technically it is a Giraffatitan ::). The green Allosaurus from the same year and brand is the Saurophaganax in my collection.

Despite not doing it anymore, when I was a kid I used some of my smaller Tyrannosaurus figures as it´s relatives, like Tarbosaurus or Albertosaurus.

crankydinosaur

Quote from: Roselaar on July 06, 2016, 04:27:22 PM
How about mammals? I think few collectors pretend the Bullyland Mastodon isn't actually a Gomphotherium...

What do they pretend it is?

crankydinosaur

Quote from: terrorchicken on July 17, 2016, 08:20:07 PM
until somebody makes dire wolves Ill have to use extant wolf figures. Same with cave bears and brown bears.

There are dire wolf and cave bear figures by the way:

Dire Wolf: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Dire_wolf

Cave Bear: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Cave_bear

terrorchicken

Yeah I was aware of those, but I only like the Bullyland wolf and the Schleich bear and they are retired and HTF.

I'm thinking of getting an extant sawfish figure to act as an Onchopristis for my Carnegie Spinosaurus to munch on. I was going to buy the Safari/Monterey Bay model, but it looks like Collecta's sawfish might be more in scale. Can anyone confirm this?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 26, 2016, 06:52:53 AM
I'm thinking of getting an extant sawfish figure to act as an Onchopristis for my Carnegie Spinosaurus to munch on. I was going to buy the Safari/Monterey Bay model, but it looks like Collecta's sawfish might be more in scale. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't have either of these, but Amazon lists the lengths of the Monterey Bay and CollectA figures as 10.5" and 6.5", respectively. That would make the Monterey Bay figure unrealistically large for a 1:40 figure, so yeah, I'd go with the CollectA. It won't be max size, but it will definitely be reasonable size.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Would Archelon and other protostegids have looked very similar to the Leatherback? I know they had leatherback style shells. Skeletally, their fins generally look a lot shorter and rounded to me, but life reconstructions always seem to make them longer and more leatherback-like. What do you guys think? Would a leatherback make a good stand-in for a protostegid?

CityRaptor

When I was kid, I glued a small feather on the head of one of my JP Coelophysis and pretended it was Syntarsus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

After reading the review on the main blog about PNSO's Indosuchus, it occurred to me that it could make a very nice substitute for the recently described Spectrovenator. They seem to share similarly basal characteristics, such as longish arms and rather un-abelisaur-like heads.

Cretaceous Crab

I use my...

Carnegie Albertosaurus as an Appalachiosaurus
Terra/Battat Tyrannosaurus as a Daspletosaurus
BOTM Dromaeosaurus as either a Utahraptor or Deinonychus (depending on what scale I'm playing with at the time)
Papo feathered Velociraptor as a Utahraptor or Deinonychus
CollectA Metriacanthosaurus as a Yangchuanosaurus
Safari LTD mini Dilong as a Torvosaurus/Megalosaurus
Safari LTD mini feathered Velociraptor as a Dakotaraptor
CollectA Nothronychus as a Falcarius
CollectA Utahraptor as a Deinonychus

Jose S.M.

Can the CollectA Alamosaurus be used as another species? It doesn't really look like most modern reconstructions of Alamosaurus.

BlueKrono

I use the Kanna Citipati as a stand-in for Chirostenotes. I'm not super familiar with oviraptorids; does anyone know of a figure that might be closer to Chirostenotes?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: