News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Hasbro Will Lose JP License in 2017

Started by suspsy, July 18, 2016, 09:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Negativity coming from fanboys?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

postsaurischian

Hasbro Will Lose JP License in 2017? Who cares ;D?

DinoLord

Postosuchus84

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 21, 2016, 11:02:59 PM
Are these even JP fanboys?

JPToys reactions are way more positive:
http://dinodan.proboards.com/thread/8099/official-hasbro-lost-jurassic-license
http://dinodan.proboards.com/thread/8100/mattel-over-jurassic-world-hasbro

JPOutpost is a mixed bag, but moving toward positive:
http://jurassicoutpost.com/mattel-will-take-jurassic-world-license-hasbro-late-2017/
http://www.jurassicforums.com/showthread.php?tid=174

It looks like Outpost seems more focused on "flashy presentation" than "actual content". Plus their "wiki" is just... I don't take it and even the Park Pedia one seriously. Really the only one that knew Jurassic Park was Crichton. Jurassic Park just isn't what it once was when it first came out unfortunately. The online fandom itself unfortunately looks like a bunch of kids trying to play as adults but unfortunately doing a bad job at it. I'm sure there's something redeemable there somewhere though, I just don't see it. To each their own I guess.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on July 20, 2016, 05:09:35 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 20, 2016, 04:59:01 PM
If only REBOR, NECA, Papo or Sideshow were to acquire it.

And Papo has made lots of JP-like dinos without paying for the license before--why pay for it now? :P

Haha, good point. I suppose Papo never sensed a threat from Hasbro. Perhaps, Mattel might pressure companies like Papo and REBOR (e.g. 'Stan' and 'Winston') from making JP emulated models.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 19, 2016, 07:44:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mattel also handling the reboot of DinoRiders? That's a lot of dinosaur action figures!

Mattel resuses sculpts like crazy. They will just tack on some harness over their JP models to make the DR toys.

Mattel is actually getting a ton of heat today. They canceled MattyCollectors, gave He-man Filmation rights to Super7. Super7 canceled the highly anticipated Thundercats Line. Thundercat fans are left with a partial set of 7 figures (Cheetara and Tygra are missing from the line-up)

laticauda

Just heard the good news.  Now I just hope that it is not the case of out of the kettle and into the fire.  I hope whoever gets the license (Mattel) that they will do it justice. 

Gwangi

I really cannot see how Mattel will do a worse job than Hasbro. It's hard to go further than rock bottom.

Dinomike

Quote from: Gwangi on July 22, 2016, 03:51:03 AM
I really cannot see how Mattel will do a worse job than Hasbro. It's hard to go further than rock bottom.

Second that!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Postosuchus84

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mattel do "Disney's Dinosaur" line of figures? I know I have a large/electronic Carnotaurus and Aladar the Iguanodon somewhere here and while stylized like the JP dinosaurs to a point, I would rate them rather decently. What was the consensus on that particular line anyways? Was it positive? That line is mostly for children though, so I don't expect there to be a lot of focus particularly on it from collectors.

I do know I saw Mattel has the old Tyco/Dino-Riders license now.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Postosuchus84 on July 22, 2016, 02:09:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mattel do "Disney's Dinosaur" line of figures? I know I have a large/electronic Carnotaurus and Aladar the Iguanodon somewhere here and while stylized like the JP dinosaurs to a point, I would rate them rather decently. What was the consensus on that particular line anyways? Was it positive? That line is mostly for children though, so I don't expect there to be a lot of focus particularly on it from collectors.

I do know I saw Mattel has the old Tyco/Dino-Riders license now.

Yeah, that was them. I don't have any of them, so I don't really know how good they are. Besides that, Mattel has made a lot of other dinosaur-themed stuff, including the Xtractaurs, Go Diego Go, Harry and His Bucketful of Dinosaurs, and I think they also made Imaginext. As far as I know, none of those lines share any molds, but they're all aimed at audiences much younger than DR or JW would be.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CarnegieCollector

Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

CarnegieCollector

Yay! This is great news! I hope whoever gets the rights to JP/JW will do better than hasbro.....not that it would be hard to do. I do have to say, I liked the JP3 toys. They weren't the best, but they were good. Better than the JW toys by far. The ONLY JW toys I liked were the mosasaurus and the large roaring indominus. The stomp n strike T. rex was also cool. The screw holes ruined the line for me though. Mattel is getting the rights? I like Mattel. If they get ahold of JW, I'm sure they'll be good.
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

CityRaptor

Well, looks like Hasbro decides to go out with a boom...or what they think a boom is:
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/207872

Pteramimus looks like one of those cheap toy Dinosaurs. You know, a Pteranodon ( often simply called Pterodactyl ) with teeth and long tail.

Dilophosaurus only has a different paintjob, as has Spinosaurus. Still terrible figures.

Is that gold paint on the Dilophosaurus Rex ( D.Rex for short )? Guess they are trying to copy the Carnegie Collection.

Carnoraptor is, well the same bad Raptor as before but with a Carno head.

Stegoceratops has some seriously missing paint apps, especially on the tail. But then again, that problems has plagued the line from the beginning.
Oh no

Digibasherx

Here's hoping they'll release the unreleased Stego and Carno before then.  Comeon Hasbro, cash in on those unused molds while you can!!!

suspsy

Quote from: Digibasherx on August 01, 2016, 07:49:35 PM
Here's hoping they'll release the unreleased Stego and Carno before then.  Comeon Hasbro, cash in on those unused molds while you can!!!

I would buy those in a heartbeat.

CityRaptor

Those two and the Styracosaurus ( Yep, there is one ) would be sweet. Instead we get Hybrid Armor:
http://dinodan.proboards.com/post/207923
Well, there is something positive about the Ankylosaurus body not being painted: The stupid permanent Dino-Damage is less obvious. Hasbro probably thinks thinks that most will keep the armor on, anyways.
Oh no

suspsy

You know, if that Ankylosaurus actually had a painted body, I would actually be tempted to buy it and just toss out the snap-on armour.

If there is anyone from Mattel following this thread, please, please, please, PLEASE do away with the open wounds. Bring back Dino Damage with snap-on skin pieces instead.

Carnosaur

Mattel will now be the exclusive toy maker for Jurassic Park/World toys.
This is following recent news that Hasbro was unable to come to a new agreement with Universal Pictures for the Jurassic toy line.
Hasbro has been the license holder for Jurassic Park since the first films toys hit shelves in 1992.

Fans were seriously disappointed with the poor quality of Hasbro's offerings, and so the main Question is.
Will Mattel learn from Hasbro's Mistakes. or do just as badly?

http://jurassicoutpost.com/mattel-will-take-jurassic-world-license-hasbro-late-2017/#comment-236

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: