News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Brontozaurus on April 26, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
After the thriller and horror elements are done with, it turns into a romantic comedy as Owen and the Indoraptor slowly realise their true feelings for one another.

Perhaps Owen's relationship with the Indoraptor is the thriller and horror element.

Reptilia

Maybe Owen will be able to have some control on the Indoraptor, if its genome is actually derived from Blue's or that of the other trained raptors.

Mini Minmi

I don't think Owen's influence on Blue is genetic or hereditary. It's more a relationship based on parental bonding (like baby ducks following someone). So I don't think he could control the indoraptor just because of Blue's dna.

One thing I'm curious about is how much time is passing between the rescue/capture of the animals on the island and the reveal (and escape) of indoraptor. Because it seems like they get Blue's sample dna when they go to the island to capture the animals, it sounds like it's one of the reason why they go, but then how old is that indoraptor? Is it an adult or mere juvenile? Is it suffering from rapid aging?

Or maybe I'm confused in the order of events and indoraptor has been in production for a while already. Someone mentionned maybe they need Blue's dna for future generations of indoraptor.

Another thing I don't understand is what did the Jurassic World owners think building a major attraction at the foot of an active volcano? Granted it was likely dormant at the time but still, with the advancement of technology couldn't they foresee it? What was their long term plan about this?  :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Mini Minmi on April 27, 2018, 07:36:55 PM
I don't think Owen's influence on Blue is genetic or hereditary. It's more a relationship based on parental bonding (like baby ducks following someone). So I don't think he could control the indoraptor just because of Blue's dna.

One thing I'm curious about is how much time is passing between the rescue/capture of the animals on the island and the reveal (and escape) of indoraptor. Because it seems like they get Blue's sample dna when they go to the island to capture the animals, it sounds like it's one of the reason why they go, but then how old is that indoraptor? Is it an adult or mere juvenile? Is it suffering from rapid aging?

Or maybe I'm confused in the order of events and indoraptor has been in production for a while already. Someone mentionned maybe they need Blue's dna for future generations of indoraptor.

Another thing I don't understand is what did the Jurassic World owners think building a major attraction at the foot of an active volcano? Granted it was likely dormant at the time but still, with the advancement of technology couldn't they foresee it? What was their long term plan about this?  :P

The time issue is a conundrum I've been trying to figure out myself.  They did create a brand new gene sequencer named for John Hammond that works super fast.  Maybe it's grown to adult size in  a tank and not hatched?    I also can't see there being just ONE Indoraptor. 

The volcano is explained in part in the novel.  The island chain is all volcanic but dormant.  Hammond used it as a source of free geothermal power.   The volcano has supposedly went active very suddenly.  There will be an urgency and very little time to think I believe.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 28, 2018, 01:53:21 AM

The time issue is a conundrum I've been trying to figure out myself.  They did create a brand new gene sequencer named for John Hammond that works super fast.  Maybe it's grown to adult size in  a tank and not hatched?    I also can't see there being just ONE Indoraptor. 

This is all based on the presumption that they require Blue's DNA to create the Indo-raptor. Personally, I don't think that's true, but its just pure speculation at this point. IMHO, I think it would take at least 6+ months from the hatch date to allow a genetically-engineered animal the size of Indoraptor to reach near adulthood. 

Time will tell, when we all have had a chance to see the film in its entirety.

Shadowknight1

The volcano is explained in part in the novel.  The island chain is all volcanic but dormant.  Hammond used it as a source of free geothermal power.   The volcano has supposedly went active very suddenly.  There will be an urgency and very little time to think I believe.
I wonder if maybe someone somehow triggered the volcanic activity.  I'm not geologist, but I think volcanoes usually give some warning, this seems to give very little.  But in many respects, Hammond's choice of Isla Nublar was a fantastic one.  In others, not so much.  I doubt the storm that hit during the inspection tour was the first or last tropical storm to hit that island, for example.  The problem with a theme park/zoo is that it requires constant power and maintenance, which can't be easy on an island.  A natural preserve would've been a smarter way to go, I think.  But Hammond would've argued that the expense of the animals would be bad since they'd have to rebreed several of the "prey" species to keep the predators happy.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LeviRawl on April 28, 2018, 01:56:09 PM

This is all based on the presumption that they require Blue's DNA to create the Indo-raptor. Personally, I don't think that's true, but its just pure speculation at this point. IMHO, I think it would take at least 6+ months from the hatch date to allow a genetically-engineered animal the size of Indoraptor to reach near adulthood. 

Time will tell, when we all have had a chance to see the film in its entirety.

The last trailer had a scene where they specifically say they need Blue for something.  We do get the gist in another scene that they took blood samples from her.   Of course maybe it's not for the Indo but to build more advanced Raptors?

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 28, 2018, 03:08:58 PM

I wonder if maybe someone somehow triggered the volcanic activity.  I'm not geologist, but I think volcanoes usually give some warning, this seems to give very little.  But in many respects, Hammond's choice of Isla Nublar was a fantastic one.  In others, not so much.  I doubt the storm that hit during the inspection tour was the first or last tropical storm to hit that island, for example.  The problem with a theme park/zoo is that it requires constant power and maintenance, which can't be easy on an island.  A natural preserve would've been a smarter way to go, I think.  But Hammond would've argued that the expense of the animals would be bad since they'd have to rebreed several of the "prey" species to keep the predators happy.

Sabotage has been something I've considered as well, and not past Ingen's new modus operandi for sure.    Muldoon specifically says " maybe this storm will swing south like the last one did? " Hammond replies " aye yi yi..why didnt I build in Orlando..? "  , so yeah it was not the first storm at all. 

Only in a "natural" setting,  the carnivores would likely be fed cows, pigs, but not sheep! lol  instead of a multi million dollar Stegosaurus. 

Jose S.M.

In a world where dinosaurs were brought back and super powered hybrids can be made I can totally see them triggering volcanic activity easily. But also there' like a 5 year gap between the events of JW and this one, so the start of the activity might have been not so sudden.

The Atroxious

Today I'd been thinking about JWFK and it occured to me: What if the Indoraptor had the capacity to mimic human speech like mynas and parrots? I'm imagining a scene in which one of the humans investigating Lockwood Manor hears someone speaking (calling for help maybe) and tries to track down the source, but just gets lured deeper in, and evenutally sees movement out of the corner of their eye. The Indoraptor emerges from the shadows, and repeats the voice, leading to the revelation that it can trick people by mimicking them.

Honestly I don't exactly expect this to happen, but I think it would be an interesting idea to use. Back when Marble Hornets was going on, a bunch of people were speculating if Slenderman/The Operator could mimic words or phrases that he's heard before to lure people to him, and I thought it was a wonderfully creepy concept. I would love to see something like this used in Jurassic World, and I think it would fit well here. After all, they can't have revealed everything the Indoraptor can do...right?

Mini Minmi

Giving the indoraptor the ability to replicate speech would indeed be creepy as heck! I almost hope it's the case just because of how eerie it would feel. However I can't really see how that ability would serve the army too much so I would be very surprised. I expect they bred it to be strong, fast, sneaky, aggressive, clever (though maybe not too much after seeing how they couldn't control the Indominus Rex, they might want to make sure it's not clever enough to question why it should obey orders), etc. The ability to replicate sounds wouldn't really serve it in combat. But it could've happened by accident...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Appalachiosaurus

Mimicking speech would have been awesome in JW, but if the Indoraptor had that ability now it would just be seen as a ripoff of the mimic bear in annihilation.

Dilopho

I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of the SCP wiki, a wiki where members of the community create entries for a fictional corporation about "anomalous objects"- basically, like a containment facility for freaky , reality-defying things. Well, this discussion reminds me of http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-939 Which mimics voices.

If it was done like this, the Indoraptor would be terrifying.

The Atroxious

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 29, 2018, 02:57:13 AM
The one time a dinosaur spoke fans hated it intensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9sjPzyQjk

Wow, I don't remember that at all. Could it be that the fans hated it because that was used as a cheap throwaway gag? I don't remember the context, but that little clip seems corny and awkward.

Quote from: Dilopho on April 29, 2018, 05:13:10 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here has heard of the SCP wiki, a wiki where members of the community create entries for a fictional corporation about "anomalous objects"- basically, like a containment facility for freaky , reality-defying things. Well, this discussion reminds me of http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-939 Which mimics voices.

It's funny you should mention this, because I was just checking out SCP-related stuff again earlier today with the advent of the Unity remake of the game, and I thought the same thing about the same creature. I don't know if I was at any point subconsciously influenced by that as well, but it is a funny coincidence. Well, I guess if JWFK disappoints me, I can always come crawling back to SCP-939.

CityRaptor

Well, that scene was used in the Lego game, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocGfGtutmsE

I agree that if done properly, it could work to make the Indoraptor more creepy. And of course some modern Dinosaurs can do that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

I remember the four JW raptors all had different kind of DNAs mixed in, maybe one of them had some parrot genome that went into the Indoraptor's mix. That would be cool.

Tylosaurus

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, can't wait!
My mother and I are gonna see it at the IMAX theatre in Rotterdam @ IMAX Pathe Schouwburgplein for those ever wondering :)

As for the game Jurassic World: Evolution, I will be pre-ordering that in a few weeks too the Digital Deluxe Edition, unless there is a physical one.. hmm xD

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 29, 2018, 04:05:30 AM
Mimicking speech would have been awesome in JW, but if the Indoraptor had that ability now it would just be seen as a ripoff of the mimic bear in annihilation.

Might just be me but I've never heard of a mimic bear or annihilation?

Quote from: The Atroxious on April 29, 2018, 05:46:42 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 29, 2018, 02:57:13 AM
The one time a dinosaur spoke fans hated it intensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9sjPzyQjk

Wow, I don't remember that at all. Could it be that the fans hated it because that was used as a cheap throwaway gag? I don't remember the context, but that little clip seems corny and awkward.

Quote from: Dilopho on April 29, 2018, 05:13:10 PM

It's funny you should mention this, because I was just checking out SCP-related stuff again earlier today with the advent of the Unity remake of the game, and I thought the same thing about the same creature. I don't know if I was at any point subconsciously influenced by that as well, but it is a funny coincidence. Well, I guess if JWFK disappoints me, I can always come crawling back to SCP-939.

It was partly that and the fact Alan had never seen a Sorna Raptor before, if he imagined anything it would be an Isla Nublar Raptor.  I recently watched a video that put the scene in context and explained it now I''m more lenient on it but it's still a continuity error.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61W5DA5vweA

Quote from: Reptilia on April 30, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
I remember the four JW raptors all had different kind of DNAs mixed in, maybe one of them had some parrot genome that went into the Indoraptor's mix. That would be cool.

Saw some new info recently,  the guy talking to Claire ( forget his name ) that said Blue was the last of her kind, not species.  He may have been talking about the 4 Raptors that Owen trained specifically.  They were created for the IBRIS Program and had traits they wanted.  A fan on facebook posted this :

QuoteThe reason they probably want Blue specifically is because Blue is birthed through the IBRIS Program, which genetically domesticated the Raptors by engineering severe aggression and unpredictability out of their genome. Utilizing Blues DNA would make the iRaptor more docile and thus more willing to take orders in military application. They have a whole manner of species DNA profiles on hand. So I imagine that it's because Blues DNA is special. They're also discussing animal trade exploitation in this one, since they're selling the iRaptor to the highest bidder, imagine owning a slightly less aggressive raptor. It'd be like owning a panther.

Another thing to consider is the grow cycle. We're theorizing that Blues DNA is mixed with that of the Indominus to create the iRaptor. But it's possible they're using advanced growth hormones to increase the growth rate of the iRaptor. If this is true, then unlike Blue bonding with Owen and gaining a positive relationship with him, the iRaptor has no relationship formed with humans and thus has no idea what they are and is instantly afraid (and in turn, aggressive) of them. This would continue another side of the Frankenstein story where the monster was fearful of humanity, yet also curious of it and slowly learned civility through observation. If this is the case, then the scene where the iRaptor is investigating Masie in her bed directly mirrors the scene in Frankenstein when the monster curiously investigates Dr. Frankenstein while he's sleeping in his bed.

Mini Minmi

The Iraptor being more curious than aggressive while his deminure makes him pretty much always look dangerous no matter what could be very interesting. Plus it would be a fun twist since all the publicity so far makes the Iraptor look like a classic monster vilain. Giving it more depth would be a welcome surprise.

I don't know though... Based on how all the other carnivores behave in these movies where they'll go out of their way to eat people rather than just react like real animals would (I'm thinking of the carnotaurus who stops fleeing the stampede and volcano to stalk the humans in the preview for example), I wonder if hoping for a Frankenstein analogy is realistic.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 30, 2018, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on April 29, 2018, 04:05:30 AM

Might just be me but I've never heard of a mimic bear or annihilation?

https://youtu.be/89OP78l9oF0
https://youtu.be/iYlIwaUhGi8

I've never actually seen it, but I've heard a lot of good things. Either way, it did the mimic thing just a few months ago, a bit too fresh for the Indoraptor to do it without seeming like a copycat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: