News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 03, 2016, 02:59:45 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 01:00:23 AM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 03, 2016, 12:37:45 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 02, 2016, 11:53:23 PM
Honestly this model is a Masterpiece, The best T.Rex ever made by any company. I sincerely think that Safari is becoming the new Battat with these models that even put Sideshow to shame.

What? Man, it is a great figure and I am buying it....but Sideshow is in a totally different league!

I was going to say Rebor instead, but i thought more people will come and try to burn me if i did. After all, it was a Rebor Fan who accused all Safari fans for being virgins, but this T.Rex is far better then anything they ever have(and perhaps ever will) make.
I'd much rather buy this Safari rex than Rebor's JP copy.  Not that I don't like Rebor's stuff, but I think their T-rex and Yutyrannus are their worst figures.

I should of been more clear that not all of there fans are rabid. Im sorry if i offended you.  :-[

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on December 03, 2016, 02:59:45 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 01:00:23 AM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 03, 2016, 12:37:45 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 02, 2016, 11:53:23 PM
Honestly this model is a Masterpiece, The best T.Rex ever made by any company. I sincerely think that Safari is becoming the new Battat with these models that even put Sideshow to shame.

What? Man, it is a great figure and I am buying it....but Sideshow is in a totally different league!

I was going to say Rebor instead, but i thought more people will come and try to burn me if i did. After all, it was a Rebor Fan who accused all Safari fans for being virgins, but this T.Rex is far better then anything they ever have(and perhaps ever will) make.
I'd much rather buy this Safari rex than Rebor's JP copy.  Not that I don't like Rebor's stuff, but I think their T-rex and Yutyrannus are their worst figures.

As a JP T-rex, the REBOR version does the job quite adequately. Don't see how the T-rex ranks as one of their worst, unless you are taking accuracy (or perhaps, stability?) into consideration, but it was always meant to be a JP interpretation. Thus, it excels at what it was meant to do (if you ignore the museum class hoopla). It also works well as an expanded diorama with the Triceratops. The REBOR T-rex was largely responsible for bringing the REBOR brand into the spotlight. Credit where credit is due.

The Y-rex is neither this nor that.

The new WS Rex is easily the best in the market. It will please paleobros with its accuracy, and should also please awesomebros with its 'gnarly' factor. If Papo made a feathered T-rex, it would probably resemble this version, but it may feature a more pronounced muscular build...or it may be emaciated...or both like the Running Rex.

The Atroxious

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 03, 2016, 03:51:08 AM
The new WS Rex is easily the best in the market. It will please paleobros with its accuracy, and should also please awesomebros with its 'gnarly' factor. If Papo made a feathered T-rex, it would probably resemble this version, but it may feature a more pronounced muscular build...or it may be emaciated...or both like the Running Rex.

Just going to say right now that I agree with this wholeheartedly. Speaking as someone who really doesn't like tyrannosaurines, and as someone who is simultaneously part paleobro and part awesomebro, I find this figure quite appealing despite my general aversion to these dinosaurs. Normally I find them too bulky and inelegant to be appealing, yet the WS Rex figure looks impressively tough. It doesn't need to be elegant or graceful because it has size and strength to back it up. In this particular figure, the animal's bulk works for the aesthetic of the figure rather than against it. I don't have any plans to get this figure for myself at present, since I'm not a fan of the genus, but I cannot deny that it has some serious charisma for a plastic dinosaur.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 12:57:16 AM
Doug Watson suggested that the Plastic used in Safari items is made a lot differently then that of CollectAs.   He has made several biped models with correct proportions, and the end result stand an awful lot better then any of the dinosaurs CollectA did not give bases too.

(Doug if you see this, please correct me if i miss quoted you on something)

Sorry Takama, but I don't remember saying anything like that privately or publicly. I don't own any CollectA pieces so I have no idea what their plastic is like.

Silvanusaurus

This really highlights how poor the detail is on the CollectA's head, one of the main reasons I was very hesitant to buy it.
Thankfully, I waited for a better option to come along with the Safari figure. I honestly do have some gripes about certain parts of this figure, but it's nothing a little bit of added sculpting and a repaint can't alleviate. While for me it isn't yet the best feathered rex toy i could envisage, it's a still a massive step towards it.

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 03, 2016, 03:25:02 AM
Quote from: Neosodon on December 03, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Most feathered dino models especially collecta's and shleich's look kind of derpy in my opinion so I don't usually buy them but safari seems to have mastered the art. I may have to pick this one up.
I disagree, I think the reason CollectA's feathered dinosaurs don't hold a candle is because they try hard to add feathers while avoiding making them bird-like. The raw skill is very clearly present, if they didn't go out of their way to highlight the "alien" features of their feathered dinosaurs and just embraced a more natural and bird-like appearance they would be a lot better. The deluxe Therizinosaurus is probably the best example of this, the sculpting detail is superb, but from a design perspective it tries to go out of its way to avoid looking like a real animal.

Meanwhile Schleich can barely even do feathers properly on birds!
That is true to some extent,imo. Like you said ,their Deluxe Therizinosaurus ' plumage does not look natural.
But take a look at their Beishanlong.Its plumage looks soft and birdlike.I would say their Lythronax and Struthiomimus are correctly feathered too.Their Tyrannosaurus has a striking flashy plumage and it loos amazing but its head is featherless.
That said,looking at Safari's well,I would dare to say it is,along with the CollectA one,the best Tyrannosaurus that have been done.I lersonally think these two are better than the newly released Sideshow statue.

Dilopho

True. These two figures, CollectA and Safari rexes, are much, much better than most other rexes available apart from super high-end model kits of course.
Look back on 2012, who could have thought we would end up getting two stunning feathered Tyrannosaurus from mainstream companies? The very ferocious looking Safari and the quite speculative CollectA?
It's certainly a huge step forward!
I mean...Look! Look at their first attempts!

Shonisaurus

Thank you Tyrannosauron! The photos are exceptional.

The feathered tyrannosaurus rex is exceptional! Makes an excellent couple with that of Collecta even with that of Battat whose figure comes to my house on the way.

I did not think it was that big. A luxury figure, on the other hand Sideshow is a very expensive brand and commented has entered into another group of figures for adults only adults. Sideshow is not a toy is made of breakable resin. This mark is not extrapolable.

The said tyrannosaurus Safari is perhaps the best figure of tyrannosaurus feathered made so far. As far as its sustainability is concerned, I think the problem is to order it from Amazon or another company. It's best to order it from a toy store.

That said will make an excellent group with the one of Collecta and the one of Battat (that is to arrive at my address) of the unfortunately deceased Dans.

But by far the feathered tyrannosaurus rex of Safari is the best of the market and besides that thank you with no articulated jaw Thanks Doug Watson for making such magnificent figures and bring with the purchase of your educational toy figures and one hundred percent scientific so much happiness And illusion with your figures to many children's homes and collectors alike!

Of course it leaves in shame the previous figures of tyrannosauridos made so far by Safari and Carnegie.

suspsy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 03, 2016, 08:50:48 AM

This really highlights how poor the detail is on the CollectA's head, one of the main reasons I was very hesitant to buy it.
Thankfully, I waited for a better option to come along with the Safari figure. I honestly do have some gripes about certain parts of this figure, but it's nothing a little bit of added sculpting and a repaint can't alleviate. While for me it isn't yet the best feathered rex toy i could envisage, it's a still a massive step towards it.

I don't see how the detail on the CollectA's head can be considered poor. It's definitely not as intricate as the WS', but it's still superior to say, the 2014 Carnegie or the Battat.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Rain

There's lots of detail on the CollectA's head but it's just not as well done imo.
Thanks for sharing pics Tyrannosauron, it looks just as good as the promo pics. Can't wait to get my hands on one  ^-^

CMIPalaeo

I'm very excited about this guy! And many of the other Safari figures, too. I'm waiting for them at Fauna Figures for now the first couple... but I might break and go ahead and order the T. rex via Amazon! Seeing pictures of the actual figure certainly is not disappointing in the slightest!
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

MLMjp

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!! AWESOME!!!!! FANSTASTIC!!!!!! IT´S BIG!!!!!! IT´S WONDEFULL!!!!

IT IS THE DEFINITIVE TYRANNOSAURUS REX!!!!

I WANT IT NOW ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry for the happiness attack, hehehe...

Seriously, words can not describe how wonderfull the figure looks.

Nanuqsaurus

This one is definitely gonna be my main Tyrannosaurus figure. It looks better with every picture.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on December 03, 2016, 10:52:38 AM
That is true to some extent,imo. Like you said ,their Deluxe Therizinosaurus ' plumage does not look natural.
But take a look at their Beishanlong.Its plumage looks soft and birdlike.I would say their Lythronax and Struthiomimus are correctly feathered too.Their Tyrannosaurus has a striking flashy plumage and it loos amazing but its head is featherless.
That said,looking at Safari's well,I would dare to say it is,along with the CollectA one,the best Tyrannosaurus that have been done.I lersonally think these two are better than the newly released Sideshow statue.

There are two things I don't find convincing about the CollectA Lythronax's feathering.

The first is the longer, pale feathers coming out of its forelimbs.  To me, they look like some kind of alien wing and not something that would be present on a real animal.  Additionally, if my understanding is correct, basal coelurosaur specimens that preserve feather impressions from both Compsognathidae and Tyrannosauroidea show these animals didn't have longer forelimb feathers that resemble primary or secondary feathers.  Instead, their forelimb feathers appear to be like the body feathers and look more sleeve-like than something resembling a wing.

The second thing is how most of the colours used for the CollectA Lythronax's feathers are also used for its scaly/featherless parts.  This looks unrealistic and awkward to me.

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 03, 2016, 04:36:46 AM
Doug Watson suggested that the Plastic used in Safari items is made a lot differently then that of CollectAs.   He has made several biped models with correct proportions, and the end result stand an awful lot better then any of the dinosaurs CollectA did not give bases too.

Sorry Takama, but I don't remember saying anything like that privately or publicly. I don't own any CollectA pieces so I have no idea what their plastic is like.

I recall a post where you said that a Safari product was not able to warp like a CollectA models because you assumed that they were made from a different plastic.    I would love to find the quote but its a PNTA to serch through the trillions of posts on this website.

Anyways back on topic, you really are makeing Safari one of my favorite Toy Companys with these new releses

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 04:53:42 PM

I recall a post where you said that a Safari product was not able to warp like a CollectA models because you assumed that they were made from a different plastic.    I would love to find the quote but its a PNTA to serch through the trillions of posts on this website.

Anyways back on topic, you really are makeing Safari one of my favorite Toy Companys with these new releses
Whether or not Doug ever stated it, the plastic used is definitely different. CollectA's plastic is more flexible, and theoretically more resistant to damage should it fall or get crushed under something heavy. But because it's softer that also makes it far more vulnerable to warping or bending during transport or storage.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 03, 2016, 04:58:42 PM

Whether or not Doug ever stated it, the plastic used is definitely different. CollectA's plastic is more flexible, and theoretically more resistant to damage should it fall or get crushed under something heavy. But because it's softer that also makes it far more vulnerable to warping or bending during transport or storage.

Maybe it's just difference in sculpting, but CollectA plastic seems to have less detail than Safari/Papo plastic? Don't know if this is true, but up close CollectA figures look a bit more bland.

Doug Watson

[/quote]

Nope, I don't recall ever saying anything like that, as I said I have never even held a CollectA piece so how would I know! Would you mind deleting the original post. I don't want someone to just read that comment and think it is true,

Takama

Quote from: Doug Watson on December 03, 2016, 05:35:54 PM

Nope, I don't recall ever saying anything like that, as I said I have never even held a CollectA piece so how would I know! Would you mind deleting the original post. I don't want someone to just read that comment and think it is true,
[/quote]

Im sorry Doug i dont mean to start a fight with you.   But i did as you requsted and deleted the post.   (to the best i can, There is no delete button allowed for non admins)

Tyrannosauron

Now that Rexie has been happily standing on her own for a few hours, I threw together a makeshift lightbox and snapped a few more pics:

Has anyone already called this piece for a review? If not, I'd certainly be interested...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: