News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrannosauron

I normally prefer to buy from Dan or directly from Safari, but I couldn't resist pulling the trigger on the feathered rex. It arrived today. Here are some pics:

(Apologies for the low light conditions in my office.)

The figure won't stand on its own, but it seems to clear to me that the legs were warped in shipping and so I hope that I can fix the issue with some boiling water when I get home.

And here are some comparison shots with the rex figures I had on hand:

Takama

They are really trying to up the size on the Wild Safari models. That T.Rex is huge compared to the rest of the crop released from 2007-2016

Also I dont see why anyone is complaining about the paint app, i mean what do you expect?

suspsy

I love how massive it is! But that's a real shame that it doesn't stand up properly! Does it fall over backwards or to the side? Either way, this is making a strong case for bases!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

It looks great to me! The face is much more naturalistic than the CollectA one. And the tail I don't know of it's because of the low light pics but it's not like the Amazon pics.

Takama

Honestly this model is a Masterpiece, The best T.Rex ever made by any company. I sincerely think that Safari is becoming the new Battat with these models that even put Sideshow to shame.

Neosodon

Most feathered dino models especially collecta's and shleich's look kind of derpy in my opinion so I don't usually buy them but safari seems to have mastered the art. I may have to pick this one up.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Takama on December 02, 2016, 11:53:23 PM
Honestly this model is a Masterpiece, The best T.Rex ever made by any company. I sincerely think that Safari is becoming the new Battat with these models that even put Sideshow to shame.

What? Man, it is a great figure and I am buying it....but Sideshow is in a totally different league!

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on December 02, 2016, 11:39:17 PM
I love how massive it is! But that's a real shame that it doesn't stand up properly! Does it fall over backwards or to the side? Either way, this is making a strong case for bases!
Bases don't help to prevent warping (if anything CollectA has shown that using bases lets them "off the hook" and they cut corners and it just end up sagging or bending easily) they just allow for more elaborate poses by removing some of the limits balance places on a sculpture.

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 03, 2016, 12:37:45 AM

What? Man, it is a great figure and I am buying it....but Sideshow is in a totally different league!
I disagree, I'm not fond of the art style that sideshow tends towards, they all look to "prop-like" to me. Sideshow statues look like film collectibles or prop mock-ups, it's the art style they use.

In regards to both, I prioritize function over details. For me I'd rather have a nice looking figure that I can pick up and fiddle with than an astounding looking figure that I'm either limited by a giant chunk of plastic stuck to it let alone by the nature of it's fragility.

Takama

I was going to say Rebor instead, but i thought more people will come and try to burn me if i did. After all, it was a Rebor Fan who accused all Safari fans for being virgins, but this T.Rex is far better then anything they ever have(and perhaps ever will) make.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 12:57:16 AMDoug Watson suggested that the Plastic used in Safari items is made a lot differently then that of CollectAs.   He has made several biped models with correct proportions, and the end result stand an awful lot better then any of the dinosaurs CollectA did not give bases too.

(Doug if you see this, please correct me if i miss quoted you on something)
That's what I was referring to. CollectA uses several different plastics but in general they reserve the better ones for free standing figures since they are the ones that need the better plastics to stand.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: suspsy on December 02, 2016, 11:39:17 PM

When I got it out of the box it was falling backwards--the right ankle was bent back--but I've since run the feet under boiling water and repositioned them. The figure now stands fine on its own (although it's an open question as to whether or not it will stay that way). I'll snap more pics when I get back to the office tomorrow.

I have to say that I'm loving it. A comparison with the high-end statues that I've gotten wouldn't be fair, but this figure totally blows away everything that costs less than a couple of hundred dollars.

Takama

Quote from: Neosodon on December 03, 2016, 12:24:24 AM
Most feathered dino models especially collecta's and shleich's look kind of derpy in my opinion so I don't usually buy them but safari seems to have mastered the art. I may have to pick this one up.

Dont just thank Safari. Thank its Sculptors who actually do there Research as opposed to looking at Google images. 

joossa

It's a great model. Sad to see the production pieces do not stand properly.  >:(
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Neosodon

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 02:07:11 AM

Dont just thank Safari. Thank its Sculptors who actually do there Research as opposed to looking at Google images.
The sculptors defiantly did a great job but no T Rex fossils have been found with feathers so its kind of just up to the artists to decide how they look. T Rex may of not even had feathers so I'll go for scaly of feathered rex models as long as they look good.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Pachyrhinosaurus

Fantastic! I might just buy two of these, one to repaint. This is isn't an awful paintjob from Safari IMO, and paint on the face looks nice, but I'd like to put my own spin on one.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

Quote from: Neosodon on December 03, 2016, 02:30:32 AM
The sculptors defiantly did a great job but no T Rex fossils have been found with feathers so its kind of just up to the artists to decide how they look. T Rex may of not even had feathers so I'll go for scaly of feathered rex models as long as they look good.
Highly unlikely that T-rex didn't have feathers.

Flaffy

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 02:07:11 AM

I feel that it's the colour scheme that makes CollectA's dinos look derpy. danmalcolm's repaints of the CollectA dinosaurs makes them look so much better.

Takama

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 03, 2016, 02:44:52 AM
Quote from: Neosodon on December 03, 2016, 02:30:32 AM
Highly unlikely that T-rex didn't have feathers.

Indeed, saying that a T.Rex did not have feathers would be like saying A Smilodon did not have Fur.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Takama on December 03, 2016, 01:00:23 AM

I was going to say Rebor instead, but i thought more people will come and try to burn me if i did. After all, it was a Rebor Fan who accused all Safari fans for being virgins, but this T.Rex is far better then anything they ever have(and perhaps ever will) make.
I'd much rather buy this Safari rex than Rebor's JP copy.  Not that I don't like Rebor's stuff, but I think their T-rex and Yutyrannus are their worst figures.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

I disagree, I think the reason CollectA's feathered dinosaurs don't hold a candle is because they try hard to add feathers while avoiding making them bird-like. The raw skill is very clearly present, if they didn't go out of their way to highlight the "alien" features of their feathered dinosaurs and just embraced a more natural and bird-like appearance they would be a lot better. The deluxe Therizinosaurus is probably the best example of this, the sculpting detail is superb, but from a design perspective it tries to go out of its way to avoid looking like a real animal.

Meanwhile Schleich can barely even do feathers properly on birds!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: