News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Joe289 on October 04, 2016, 11:17:49 PM
If i would have known Safari was going to release a Deinocheirus I would have bought the Ornithomimus instead when I ordered my only two 2016 CollectA's hehe, now that one is out of stock at Dan's Dinosaurs  :'(. I'm finding this one much better than their's but still need to debate on that. And the Einiosaurus looks great, I can see some reddish and yellow markings in the frill.

Yeah, I usually only have one figure of each genus, so this year Safari is going to be replacing a few of my CollectAs (and a Geoworld, thank goodness).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Daspletotyrannus

I'm really excited for the Einiosaurus. I just sorta wish the pose was like the Battat Styracosaurus.  I just really like that pose. I was really happy to finally get the Styracosaurus yesterday in the mail.  I know will be getting Einiosaurus first. I will get the Tyrannosaurus too just have to save up for that one. Lol The price of these figures do hurt the wallet.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

My goodness... all of these new releases are looking incredible, I know for a fact I will be getting all of them and putting them up on my shrine to dinosaurian accuracy :)) That Einiosaurus is definitely going to be my new centerpiece, it looks absolutely stunning! I can't wait for more pictures, but from the banner it looks just as detailed as the Nasutoceratops. I can't wait ;D   

Thanks,

Earthbound Einiosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

DinoLord

Where are people seeing the Einiosaurus? It's not on the site yet.

Doug Watson

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 05, 2016, 12:13:30 AM
My goodness... all of these new releases are looking incredible, I know for a fact I will be getting all of them and putting them up on my shrine to dinosaurian accuracy :)) That Einiosaurus is definitely going to be my new centerpiece, it looks absolutely stunning! I can't wait for more pictures, but from the banner it looks just as detailed as the Nasutoceratops. I can't wait ;D   

Thanks,

Earthbound Einiosaurus

Where are you seeing the images? When I click on the Dinosaurs or Prehistoric World the Banner shows two Kronosaurus? I know I did them so I know what they should look like but the photos this year are from the production pieces so anxious myself to see how they turned out.

DinoLord

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 05, 2016, 12:32:13 AM...but the photos this year are from the production pieces so anxious myself to see how they turned out.

Aha! So those who have said the photos look less altered and stock photo-like than past years were on to something. If the pictured figures are production pieces then that is very exciting. Historically Safari's main weakness has been consistency of paint applications (a problem easily circumvented by picking the best one from the store shelf), but if every piece is a winner then that's great.

Roger

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 04, 2016, 11:35:43 PM
Quote from: Roger on October 04, 2016, 10:44:01 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 04, 2016, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: Patrx on October 04, 2016, 08:52:44 PM
The informational text seems to have been updated on the product pages for this year's figures. Mostly, it's really nicely written and pretty accurate compared to some of the "info" we've seen in the past.

;D I'm pleased somone noticed this since the copy is largely my own handiwork. An error or two may have been snuck in by the editor e.g they called Kronosaurus a dinosaur - a sin no plesiosaur palaeontologist would ever commit! - but they quickly corrected it when I pointed it out. Safari Ltd are obviously serious about their models and content, which is great for their reputation and adds so much value to their products.

I haven't read through all the live articles yet, so if you spot any mistakes, please let me know via PM.

I also noticed it and I find it enriching to the company's website. May I ask you if the text for extant animals is also your work?

No, just the new dinosaurs.  :)

Thanks for your reply!

John

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 05, 2016, 12:32:13 AM
Where are you seeing the images? When I click on the Dinosaurs or Prehistoric World the Banner shows two Kronosaurus? I know I did them so I know what they should look like but the photos this year are from the production pieces so anxious myself to see how they turned out.
It's on Safari's home page,the second of three banners.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 05, 2016, 12:32:13 AM

To me, they appear when I enter Safari website in general, not dinosaurs or prehistoric world. There is a banner with the first promo poster for 2017, one with dragons and one with dinos.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Wow, I really like the coloration of the eineosaurus! Just from the banner picture I can add the deinocheirus and diplodocus to my "want list" too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: John on October 05, 2016, 12:51:07 AM
It's on Safari's home page,the second of three banners.

Quote from: Joe289 on October 05, 2016, 12:51:55 AM
To me, they appear when I enter Safari website in general, not dinosaurs or prehistoric world. There is a banner with the first promo poster for 2017, one with dragons and one with dinos.

Thanks, found it.

fason

if the diplo is big enough , itll be a must have for me , same with eini and rex

tanystropheus

These are some gorgeous models. The T-rex is a masterpiece. I will probably pick them all up, but the models that excite me the most are

the Eino, Diplo, T-rex, Quetz and the Deinocheirus.

Faelrin

Those remaining dinosaurs are looking good, at least in that banner. I'm still looking forward to the full reveals, but seeing this has satisfied me for now, especially in regards to that Deinocheirus. I may just need to buy all the fabulous feathery ones, and some more, later this year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoLord

That banner picture is a sight to behold. I'm going to have to start letting go of some older figures to make shelf space if Safari continues this rate of output...

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Here's the image! Man, look at those guys!

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions!

Psittacosaurus: Looks great! The not accurate coloration can be excused since its color scheme was decided before the new info, but the sculpt looks really good! Despite not being up to date. (missing the skin connecting the ankle to the tail base)
I am the Dinosaur King!

sauroid

they are all winners! the T. rex and Diplo are especially stunning.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on October 05, 2016, 06:12:39 AM
My opinions!

Psittacosaurus: Looks great! The not accurate coloration can be excused since its color scheme was decided before the new info, but the sculpt looks really good! Despite not being up to date. (missing the skin connecting the ankle to the tail base)

The coloration given in the newest reconstruction is basically identical to the conclusions reached in 2010 by Langham and Soliar.  It has been known and published on since at least 2010.  SEE THE PAPER titled. 'On the integument of Psittacosaurus " authored by Lingham and Soliar The latest study basically confirmed what was already known. Doug got this right ...his model demonstrates coloration lightening dorsally to ventrally as the study described  , It looks close to me at least...with any interpretation or reconstruction surely there has to be some room for artistic interpretation and what not. The next time someone tries it..it may be whole colors off the original.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

crankydinosaur

are there any prehistoric mammals or anything Paleozoic in this 2017 spread?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: