News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 05, 2016, 07:35:16 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on October 05, 2016, 06:12:39 AM
My opinions!

Psittacosaurus: Looks great! The not accurate coloration can be excused since its color scheme was decided before the new info, but the sculpt looks really good! Despite not being up to date. (missing the skin connecting the ankle to the tail base)

The coloration given in the newest reconstruction is basically identical to the conclusions reached in 2010 by Langham and Soliar.  It has been known and published on since at least 2010.  SEE THE PAPER titled. 'On the integument of Psittacosaurus " authored by Lingham and Soliar The latest study basically confirmed what was already known. Doug got this right ...his model demonstrates coloration lightening dorsally to ventrally as the study described  , It looks close to me at least...with any interpretation or reconstruction surely there has to be some room for artistic interpretation and what not. The next time someone tries it..it may be whole colors off the original.

Let's not forget that there's nearly a dozen valid species of Psittacosaurus...

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on October 05, 2016, 02:59:39 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on October 05, 2016, 02:14:18 PM
I take back my comment :-[, the CollectA deinocherius is still a great model ^-^.
Is it possible for dinosaurs to drastically change colours to better suit the seasons?
CollectA deinocherius - Summer     Safari deinocherius - Winter   

or male/female.

Or flashy, sexually mature adult & slightly-more-cryptic juvenile.

Silvanusaurus

The Deinocheirus looks just fantastic; like some kind of lovely cross between a bear and a duck. I've got nothing against the CollectA one specifically, I just don't really care for their designs generally, this on the other hand once again has me excited to get a figure of a species I didn't have much interest in before. 

Killekor

Today Safari have revealed The Eniosaurus, and it's a good figure, but my favorite is Coelophysis.
Now missing only two dinosaurs, the Diplodocus and the deinocheirus.
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on October 05, 2016, 07:35:16 AMThe coloration given in the newest reconstruction is basically identical to the conclusions reached in 2010 by Langham and Soliar.  It has been known and published on since at least 2010.  SEE THE PAPER titled. 'On the integument of Psittacosaurus " authored by Lingham and Soliar The latest study basically confirmed what was already known.

I read that paper, and followed the authors' logic. Certainly, any clue at all regarding a nonavian dinosaur's coloration is a fascinating thing, and I even based a repaint on it myself. But, Theagarten Lingham-Soliar is known to be something of a crackpot, and a BANDit to boot. He even once argued that Psittacosaurus' tail bristles are actually collagen fibre. So, I am very glad to have another paper on the matter from more reputable workers. Certainly, I think the new Safari piece matches the newest interpretation of Psittacosaurus very well, what with individual variation and all.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on October 05, 2016, 04:36:51 PM
Another staggeringly successful Doug Watson ceratopsid! Can't wait to add it to the ranks. Last year's Nasutoceratops was unmatched for details and accuracy, but this looks every bit as good, maybe better.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 04, 2016, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: Patrx on October 04, 2016, 08:52:44 PM
The informational text seems to have been updated on the product pages for this year's figures. Mostly, it's really nicely written and pretty accurate compared to some of the "info" we've seen in the past.

;D I'm pleased somone noticed this since the copy is largely my own handiwork. An error or two may have been snuck in by the editor e.g they called Kronosaurus a dinosaur - a sin no plesiosaur palaeontologist would ever commit! - but they quickly corrected it when I pointed it out. Safari Ltd are obviously serious about their models and content, which is great for their reputation and adds so much value to their products.

I haven't read through all the live articles yet, so if you spot any mistakes, please let me know via PM.

That explains a lot! You know, I try to remain as objective as possible when it comes to brands, but Safari have been pretty impressive lately. Adam, you mentioned you'd consulted on the Quetzalcoatlus, Kronosaurus, Microraptor, Giganotosaurus, and Diplodocus, as well as Doug's Tylosaurus, yes? I'm curious, were you approached by the other sculptor, or by Safari themselves?

That list is correct.

I'll say no more, I don't wish to break anyone's trust. :-X O:-) Thanks for understanding.

Arrancon

How could I have missed these being revealed 2 whole months ago?! I gotta pay more attention here now.

With my shelf space becoming very limited now, I can't make all of these figures 'must-have' purchases. So far, only Einosaurus, Coelophysis, Microraptor and Deinocherius are definitely getting picked up. I'm trying not to get duplicate species anymore, the Micro being the exception due to its IRL feather color depiction.

That Rexy is looking EXTREMELY awesome, yet I already have the feathered Collecta one. Giganoto is tempting too, just so I can finally have a figure of the species that will stand on my shelf (looking at you, Carnegie version).

The rest are a pass, with the Psitttacosaurus being on the fence. How accurate is it to the recent evidence I've heard about on its actual skin color?

Patrx

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 05, 2016, 06:17:12 PM
Quote from: Patrx on October 05, 2016, 04:36:51 PM
Adam, you mentioned you'd consulted on the Quetzalcoatlus, Kronosaurus, Microraptor, Giganotosaurus, and Diplodocus, as well as Doug's Tylosaurus, yes? I'm curious, were you approached by the other sculptor, or by Safari themselves?

That list is correct. I'll say no more, I don't wish to break anyone's trust. :-X O:-) Thanks for understanding.

Oh, of course! I should have considered that factor myself  ???

CMIPalaeo

Quote from: Joe289 on October 05, 2016, 03:12:48 PM

What about the Wild Safari Pachyrhinosaurus? Its a great figure too hehe.

It is good, but for some reason something about it has never struck me as being as great as the Diabloceratops, Nasutoceratops, Vagaceratops, and likely this Einiosaurus.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Everything_Dinosaur

Patrx

On that note, the remaining two figures have appeared in full on the Safari site!

Flaffy

Love the shaggy feel tot he deinocherius. Not too fond of the white stripes, but overall an awesome figure. ;D

SpartanSquat

Deinocheirus looks so elegant and very detailed the feathers. Now watching the diplodocus, I thought when I saw the video, the model didnt have scales.

sauroid

that Diplodocus. is simply beautiful.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

Placed a pre order for mine.....bought them all ...and the psittacosaurus x 12 
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Tony92

I take back my comment :-[, the CollectA deinocherius is still a great model ^-^.
Is it possible for dinosaurs to drastically change colours to better suit the seasons?

It's not like you have to retract your comment because someone didn't like your opinion, you didn't offend anyone with your previous post. We should all be entitled of our own opinions, I think.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Arrancon on October 05, 2016, 06:22:17 PM
How could I have missed these being revealed 2 whole months ago?! I gotta pay more attention here now.

With my shelf space becoming very limited now, I can't make all of these figures 'must-have' purchases. So far, only Einosaurus, Coelophysis, Microraptor and Deinocherius are definitely getting picked up. I'm trying not to get duplicate species anymore, the Micro being the exception due to its IRL feather color depiction.

That Rexy is looking EXTREMELY awesome, yet I already have the feathered Collecta one. Giganoto is tempting too, just so I can finally have a figure of the species that will stand on my shelf (looking at you, Carnegie version).

The rest are a pass, with the Psitttacosaurus being on the fence. How accurate is it to the recent evidence I've heard about on its actual skin color?

Not quite a match, based on the latest paper. But. This is a different species than the one they figures the coloration for, so the fact that it's not really an exact match for the newest interpretation is actually a plus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

PaleoMatt

So, seems like there bringing back some classics from the Carnegie lines well as some new ones! Also notice how there is t rex, giga and sp- wait? NO SPINOSAUR? I think Safari is making a Spinosaurus to complete the trio as either another secret or for next year.

suspsy

Given Doug Watson's strong preference for sculpting dinosaurs that are known from ample fossil remains, I'd be very surprised if he did a Spinosaurus. Personally, I really like the Ibrahim/Sereno reconstruction, but the fact of the matter is that it's still not confirmed. Until more Spinosaurus fossils are found, I think it's far more likely to see Baryonyx or Ichthyovenator or Irritator in 2018.

Then again, perhaps this new mystery sculptor does not have the same compunctions.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PaleoMatt

Quote from: suspsy on October 05, 2016, 08:27:34 PM
Given Doug Watson's strong preference for sculpting dinosaurs that are known from ample fossil remains, I'd be very surprised if he did a Spinosaurus. Personally, I really like the Ibrahim/Sereno reconstruction, but the fact of the matter is that it's still not confirmed. Until more Spinosaurus fossils are found, I think it's far more likely to see Baryonyx or Ichthyovenator or Irritator in 2018.

Then again, perhaps this new mystery sculptor does not have the same compunctions.

BionicleSaurus did a video and he thinks Forest Rogers sculpted the Giga. Considering it has wrinkles instead of scales and needs a base to stand up, I wouldn't be surprised.

Flaffy

Quote from: Tony92 on October 05, 2016, 07:54:05 PM

It's not like you have to retract your comment because someone didn't like your opinion, you didn't offend anyone with your previous post. We should all be entitled of our own opinions, I think.
And this is my final opinion. I thought of it myself and felt the need to do so. Still feel that CollectA should improve their paint jobs though. ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: