News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

indy1936

Quote from: Takama on April 21, 2012, 10:45:10 PM
Quote from: Krissy on April 21, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
Great to see a comparison picture for the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus, looks more promising now. Honestly however I'm really not up to date with my Sauropod knowledge, just how out-of-date is the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus? Is he laughable or just a bit too bulky?

Its neck is in what we call a Parascope position, meaning its going straght up when it should be held more forwards.

OW the new guy is now avaible for purchus

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Carnegie+Scale+Model+Dinosaur+Collectibles+Brachiosaurus/part_number=410701/740.0.1.1.33307.70684.1008070.0.0?pp=12&

He's been available for awhile under the "what's new" menu. But he's been on back order since the end of March! Estimated ship date is mid to late May.

ZoPteryx

The new Brachi is looking nice and big!  Thank you Carnegie, you did not disappoint! ;D

stoneage

:)  Does anyone know what scale the Safari people are?

Takama

Using the info from the How to tell scale thread on the old forum, i wound up with 1:18. I could of done something wrong though.

brontodocus

It depends and I can only speak for those figures that I have (because I do not want to rely on other people's measurements) but they made a "President of the United States" figure (if I only could find out which one it actually represents ;) ) that is 102 mm high and could well be 1:18. Some others are smaller, "Freddie the free diver" is 78 mm without his fins and would be about 1:22 - 1:24 (if he's meant to be an adult at all). The toob humans that come with some sets seem to be around 1:30 - 1:32, e.g. the ranger from the "Land Down Under" Toob is 61 mm high. The two IC divers "Michelle" and "Kevin" are much larger, 136 and 145 mm without fins and thus more like 1:12 - 1:13.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Takama

Quote from: brontodocus on April 22, 2012, 12:15:41 AM
It depends and I can only speak for those figures that I have (because I do not want to rely on other people's measurements) but they made a "President of the United States" figure (if I only could find out which one it actually represents ;) ) .

you mean this figure

Thats the USA's first African American President Barrack Obama

brontodocus

Ah! Thanks for clarifying. ;D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Takama on April 22, 2012, 12:29:10 AM

Oh, Safari didn't succeed in sculpting African American hair ;D.

.................................. Wasn't Malcolm X the USA's first African American President ????

ITewan

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 21, 2012, 06:24:19 AM
Looks nice, can't wait till its finally released!

You do know you can buy it now on the Safari.ltd shop?
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Takama on April 21, 2012, 10:45:10 PM
Quote from: Krissy on April 21, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
Great to see a comparison picture for the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus, looks more promising now. Honestly however I'm really not up to date with my Sauropod knowledge, just how out-of-date is the old Carnegie Brachiosaurus? Is he laughable or just a bit too bulky?

Its neck is in what we call a Parascope position, meaning its going straght up when it should be held more forwards.

It's actually a bit more straight than a swan-neck pose which I've heard is still acceptable..seems the jury is still out as far as just how flexible sauropod necks are.  I think the new Carnegie one would be at the extreme low end and the old one at the extreme high end...when doing my Brachi I had to do a lot checking..so I ended up settling for something more in between..or at least a bit higher than Carnegie's new piece. :)

Brachiosaurus

Quote from: DC on April 21, 2012, 03:11:37 PM
Hardest thing is to put a new take on a well known dinosaur.  I think Forest got it right.  The difference scale is within the range for compatibility with 1/40.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad its big, it will fit nicely with my 1/40 scale dino collection

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 22, 2012, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on April 22, 2012, 12:29:10 AM

Oh, Safari didn't succeed in sculpting African American hair ;D.

.................................. Wasn't Malcolm X the USA's first African American President ????
Ermm, what? O_O Where did you hear that??

Nevermind that Malcolm X was a racist btw

Simon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 22, 2012, 01:36:45 PM

Nevermind that Malcolm X was a racist btw
[/quote]

Actually Bill Clinton was called the "First African American President" by some ...

DC

It's actually a bit more straight than a swan-neck pose which I've heard is still acceptable..seems the jury is still out as far as just how flexible sauropod necks are.  I think the new Carnegie one would be at the extreme low end and the old one at the extreme high end...when doing my Brachi I had to do a lot checking..so I ended up settling for something more in between..or at least a bit higher than Carnegie's new piece. :)
[/quote]

I do not see this as the traveling posture but swinging the neck out to reach food or maybe neck fencing.  If you use the Giraffe analogy for Brachiosaurus then you would expect the neck to flex as much of the feeding will happen at the lover levels not to mention drinking.  This is an action posture.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

postsaurischian

Quote from: Simon on April 22, 2012, 03:29:43 PM
Actually Bill Clinton was called the "First African American President" by some ...

;D ;D ;D

To stop this before a moderator does - of course I was only joking :-[ Sorry - no Politics - I know!

Back on topic: With this pic I'm still not sure about the Carnegie Brachio's size. Standing in the back can reduce the impression of a figure's height a lot :-\.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DC on April 22, 2012, 03:30:36 PM

I do not see this as the traveling posture but swinging the neck out to reach food or maybe neck fencing.  If you use the Giraffe analogy for Brachiosaurus then you would expect the neck to flex as much of the feeding will happen at the lover levels not to mention drinking.  This is an action posture.
[/quote]

From what I've been told by those that study these things a neck that low would be pretty extreme for Brachiosaurus, an animal designed for higher browsing, unlike Apatosaurus or Diplodocus. The higher legs in front are designed to get him more height to reach where others can't.   Maybe it lower like that to drink...I wouldn't think they would need to find a lake , river or waterfall just to get water to their mouths.
A giraffe can be used to an extent..but they aren't really built like Brachiosaurus. Giraffe's will spread their front legs wide to get really low..I don't think Brachiosaurus or it's close relatives would have had that range of motion in it's legs. It's definitely an action posture as there is movement going on in several places though.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 22, 2012, 04:02:01 PM

;D ;D ;D

To stop this before a moderator does - of course I was only joking :-[ Sorry - no Politics - I know!

Back on topic: With this pic I'm still not sure about the Carnegie Brachio's size. Standing in the back can reduce the impression of a figure's height a lot :-\.

It looks like they are only about 3-4" or so apart at most..so it shouldn't be too off.

DC

From what I've been told by those that study these things a neck that low would be pretty extreme for Brachiosaurus, an animal designed for higher browsing, unlike Apatosaurus or Diplodocus. The higher legs in front are designed to get him more height to reach where others can't.   Maybe it lower like that to drink...I wouldn't think they would need to find a lake , river or waterfall just to get water to their mouths.
A giraffe can be used to an extent..but they aren't really built like Brachiosaurus. Giraffe's will spread their front legs wide to get really low..I don't think Brachiosaurus or it's close relatives would have had that range of motion in it's legs. It's definitely an action posture as there is movement going on in several places though.
[/quote]

It is hard to see an animal as big as Brachiosaurus feeding only at the very top of the canopy.  Somehow it needs to feed lower.  The stats on Giraffes are lower feeding is about 80%. There just is not as much high canopy food especially on the Morrison formation.  The advantage is Brachiosaur could feed higher, a source no competitor can reach, during the dry season rather than could only feed higher. I might like to see less angle or difference between the front and back legs though as I think that is more of a East African reconstruction.  What we need is a better/complete north American skeleton.  Right now it just best guess.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

indy1936

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 22, 2012, 05:11:52 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on April 22, 2012, 04:02:01 PM

;D ;D ;D

It looks like they are only about 3-4" or so apart at most..so it shouldn't be too off.

Plus the picture seems to be taken from a bit above the models. This will make an illusion of anything standing behind look taller. Try it with 2 objects of equal height. Look at them face on and the back one disappears. As you rise up the one in back shows up.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: