News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Southlands Replicas

Started by suspsy, May 22, 2017, 10:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paleodude

I certainly won't turn my nose up on such a great mold if it's hollow vinyl as long as the detail is preserved.

suspsy

This does raise the question of what SR will do when they start making dinosaurs. Minmi or Australovenator would probably make the cut for PVC though.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

So is PVC the standard plastic used in toys these days? What is the difference between that and vinyl? What do the current companies such as Safari Ltd, Papo, CollectA, and Schleich mainly use? I don't think I'd really have an issue with it, as long as the details are preserved I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ItsTwentyBelow

As long as the Diprotodon is not too fragile, and the seams are adequately inconspicuous, I wouldn't have a problem with hollow vinyl. I'm sold if the finished appearance matches that of Southlands' PVC figures.

This is not a bad idea for larger figures, in order to make them more accessible to a wider market.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on April 13, 2018, 05:03:05 PM
So is PVC the standard plastic used in toys these days? What is the difference between that and vinyl? What do the current companies such as Safari Ltd, Papo, CollectA, and Schleich mainly use? I don't think I'd really have an issue with it, as long as the details are preserved I guess.

Yeah, the big brands (except Bullyland) use PVC. They're producing in such huge volumes that the cost of the mold probably isn't a huge consideration. Vinyl will probably be hollow, so like the big PNSO figures, the Kaiyodo Dinolands, or the Safari Great Dinos. With luck, they can pull it off without a bunch of big seams.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Hmm, I was under the impression the Diptrodon would be comparable as big as any usual toy figure, so around the size of a Schleich/Papo/CollectA Rhinoceros. Would that render it being too big for a PVC production? I mean, SR also produces horse figures in the size of such Rhino figures, why not the Diptrodon on the same way?

stegosauria

Now Southlands Replicas is a small company (yet), so they don't have so much fund as the big companies. And plus they are in Australia so if they want to reach bigger markets the shipping cost is more expensive too.

Shonisaurus

You have to be understanding with Soutlands Replicas and realistic before you crucify that brand.

That they do the vinyl diprotodon they do not do it on a whim, they do not have the economic potential of other companies, it is a family business and they have done enough to reproduce a figure even of vinyl of such an emblematic prehistoric mammal.

Soutlands Replicas can not risk much like companies like Collecta, Safari, Schleich or Papo. It seems to me that before we start judging, let's take into account those notes that I have made.

It is plausible what the Soutlands Replicas company does not ask for more than what it has done and thank you for your magnificent paleoartistic work.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 13, 2018, 11:20:08 PM
Hmm, I was under the impression the Diptrodon would be comparable as big as any usual toy figure, so around the size of a Schleich/Papo/CollectA Rhinoceros. Would that render it being too big for a PVC production? I mean, SR also produces horse figures in the size of such Rhino figures, why not the Diptrodon on the same way?

I don't fully understand that either. I wonder if it's some kind of geometry problem, where the particular shape of the Diprotodon sculpt requires using more steel for the mold than the horses required.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Ravonium

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 13, 2018, 11:20:08 PM
I mean, SR also produces horse figures in the size of such Rhino figures, why not the Diptrodon on the same way?

I'm guessing it may be that the Diprotodon, despite being around the same size as the horses, would be significantly heavier as a solid PVC figure, making it more expensive to produce.

I personally don't mind it being in hollow vinyl as long as the seams aren't noticeable.

terrorchicken

is it supposed to be to scale with the thylacoleo? b/c then its going to be a much bigger figure, bigger than the rather smallish Schleich extant rhinos at least.

Southlands Replicas

The model is approx 20cm long nose to tail (almost twice the length of our horses and probably 4 times the volume). It is a large figure - think in terms of Collecta Deluxe figures (slightly bigger than megaceratops). It's also a complex shape with a lot of detail inside the open mouth. We aim to work in scale across our range so yes it will be in exact scale to Thylacoleo. PVC in a steel mould would require splitting the figure into 5 parts with the jaw being separated and therefore creating quite an obvious seam across the face. Vinyl will require just one seam.

Reptilia

Hollow vinyl is a pass for me, think I'll have to wait for the next prehistoric then.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Sounds like Southlands has thought this through, I absolutely can't wait to add Diprotodon to my collection!
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Lanthanotus

Thanks for that reply. My question was of thoroughly technical curiosity. In fact I habe several hollow vinyl figures, so that does not affect my decision whether to buy or pass. I am excited about that Diptrodon.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the explanation!

Shonisaurus

I have never bought a prehistoric vinyl animal but in my case I will definitely buy the vinyl diprotodon. I would have liked PVC but I am aware of the costs for this small company and I understand that Soutlands Replicas is more profitable for the reasons that make a diprodoton with that material.

In my case I will buy it is the first large prehistoric marsupial mammal made in mass by a toy brand.

Apart from that we have to thank Soutlands Replicas for giving us their explanation, it's a great company. Another would have been quiet without more, without giving explanations for me is a point in their favor.

RobinGoodfellow

The PVC vs Vinyl controversy is useless..
Just to remember, they are all vinyl:  8)

What's the problem ?  ;)

Jose S.M.

Maybe some people think of hollow chinasaurs when think on vinyl toys. Or the seams maybe worry them, but seams not necessarily are ugly looking.

Ravonium

Quote from: Reptilia on April 15, 2018, 12:39:35 PM
Hollow vinyl is a pass for me, think I'll have to wait for the next prehistoric then.

Assuming they're going to make all their figures in 1:15 (which they'll probably at least do with their Minmi (if they ever do release one)), I highly doubt many of their future prehistoric figures won't be hollow vinyl.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: