News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

It's a nice customization, but, well, the hands are still wrong.  :D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on December 19, 2017, 08:00:55 PM
It's a nice customization, but, well, the hands are still wrong.  :D

I seem to recall that Psittacosaurus (or at least some species of it) possessed a degree of supination (?) in their hands, as to enable them to walk on all fours. As the animal aged it did this less and less. I believe amargasaurus cazaui mentioned something like that in the past, but I don't recall the details very well.

I like the Schleich better (can't believe I'd ever say that about a Schleich figure!)

Jose S.M.

While I think that a careful custom paintjob can give a whole new look to a figure, Schleich really deserves all the congratulations for this sculpt. 

spinosaurus1

QuoteI like the Schleich better (can't believe I'd ever say that about a Schleich figure!)

it sound so alien, isn't it. it's like a spoken, unearthy sentence. the schleich figure has really proven to be my favorite psittacosaurus sculpt

Shonisaurus

I have to admit that the repainted psittacosaurus Schleich is much better than other figures of companies such as Safari without me still liking his figure a lot .. It is great news for me and for all of us who are collectors that Schleich has made a figure above the average in the toy market.

Although I do not understand the biology of the dinosaurs, I see that it is a very realistic figure that looks like resin, or rather it is as bright as a resin dinosaur. Sincerely Schleich is doing very well this year.  8)

I applaud the war between toy dinosaur companies "to see who is the best".   >:D That benefits all collectors.

ZoPteryx

It's amazing what a good paint job can do, but of course it helps that this a very good figure to start with.  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

The debate about psittacosaurus posture is still an ongoing one, and opinions differ....however the majority seem to hold the idea as juveniles the dinosaur spent more time moving in quadrupedal style, and as the limbs strengthened and matured it slowly became more bi-pedal . ..allowing the hands to be free for nest building, food gathering and other tasks.
   This is why I have said before , this figure is too heavily massed and muscled for the posture to make sense...the hand posture suggests juvenile or sub-adult however the figure is bulked up like a  mature specimen.
  To my eyes the figure also looks too truncated, with a shorter neck and tail than is likely, most likely caused by the body mass being so hulked up.
   It is a great figure and does paint up nicely, and is nicer than most produced, although it does have some issues. (this species is also not known for possessing filaments, making this a speculative but quite possible choice for the sculpt)  I will get a few at least and have a couple repainted for sure....if nothing else it is nice to have a dinosaur for which we can identify a few different species !
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Flaffy

I'll be honest here, the Schleich Psittacosaurus is the only Schleich figure so far that I consciously knew it was a Schleich product, and willingly payed full price for.
I don't mind the pose very much, it could very well be a startled individual. IMO this is a case of Papo-like posing, snapshotting an exact and peculiar moment of the animal's life.
A shame that the sculpt was ruined by the mucus green colour scheme, the figure would've looked a lot better with browns as the main body, cream/biege as the underside, white for the quills, and black for the facial keratin structures and he tips of the quills.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 20, 2017, 06:11:29 AM
I'll be honest here, the Schleich Psittacosaurus is the only Schleich figure so far that I consciously knew it was a Schleich product, and willingly payed full price for.
I don't mind the pose very much, it could very well be a startled individual. IMO this is a case of Papo-like posing, snapshotting an exact and peculiar moment of the animal's life.
A shame that the sculpt was ruined by the mucus green colour scheme, the figure would've looked a lot better with browns as the main body, cream/biege as the underside, white for the quills, and black for the facial keratin structures and he tips of the quills.
It would indeed need to be quite a peculiar moment in the animals life....while being startled, the dinosaur would have to somehow manage to alter the orientation of the bones in its hands, and arms as well as assume the stance you see. As Patrx and a few others have touched on, the issue is not just with the pose, but with the orientation of the arms and hands of the figure. Psittacosaurus as an adult was understood to hold its hands in a neutral to semi supinated or slightly facing upwards position.The issue is not just with being down on all fours, but how the hands and arms are then oriented.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Flaffy

Oh right forgot about the broken wrists.

Rain

I asked Vlad if Schleich imposed any restrictions on him or let him do as he wished and this was his response.

"50/50. Plus a lot of restrictions are connected with casting and painting requirements."

Shonisaurus

On this sts forum page the Schleich tawa appears. It does not look as good as the prototype, its hooves are too big and its paint is so careless I pass for those who are registered the link.

http://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t17848p150-2017-companions-gwain

Ravonium

That Tawa is, in my opinion, the most mangy-looking model Schleich has ever made.

sauroid

ewww that Tawa looks so bad. im removing it from my Schleich shopping list. "glad" i saw that.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

If I came into possession of the Tawa, I'd remove both of the feet and hunt for suitable"chinasaurus" replacements or the like  as a substitute for the sheer silliness of this part of the sculpt.

spinosaurus1

more photos of the repainted schleich psittacosaurus. it was done by Cheung Chung Tat

Jose S.M.

Faelrin

I wasn't impressed with the Tawa to begin with, but it does look worse then it did in the promo pic.

That Psittacosaurus repaint looks gorgeous too. It looks far better then the green.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

The tawa is not so good at first sight (today to buy the Schleich dinosaurs 2018 in the Shop of the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid where they have warned me of their arrival) where I will check what the figure really looks like.

As for psittacosaurus, it is certainly the best that has been done in relation to any toy company without detracting from other companies. But that figure has sincerely conquered me. I would prefer that this painting be the original Schleich psittacosaurus. It looks like a resin dinosaur.  :)

Shonisaurus

I just bought the six dinosaur novelties from Schleich at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid. My impression on the figures are the following:

The therizinosaurus is best seen with the new details of painting, if instead of the therizinosaurus we met in 2014 we had presented this figure, the criticism would have been more benevolent. Also in the toy dinosaurs as people the aesthetic and painting arrangements as I say make real miracles. And that I speak of the figure in "less interesting theory". My note 6/10

Triceratops is the best triceratops figure made to date by the Schleich company. It is one thing to see it in person and another through the internet. Figure more than decent, beautifully painted, and with an elegant painting, less static than previous editions and although it can not be compared with other companies such as Safari, Recur or Battat to give two examples is a quite acceptable figure, my note 7, 2/10

The tawa is perhaps a rather irregular figure, I expected something better. It has abrasion problems (in fact, the left arm has been unpainted when removing the label with the scissors.) It is quite monocolor, very careless in terms of painting and unfortunately does not correspond to the image it had in its promotional photo. yes its very big feet, my note unfortunately is not as good as the other figures, the only positive thing is that it is a new figure in the toy market, for me the note is 6.1 / 10

The dinogorgon makes a perfect pair with Safari inostrancevia is much better for me than in his promotional photo, muscle building from my perfect point of view, the skull I see perfect. Although perhaps (I do not understand mammalian reptiles) it would be appreciated if I had fluff. My note is 9/10.

The oviraptor although its colors are quite muted, it is seen that they have put their teeth in the skull correctly. It leans on the tail slightly, which allows its legs to be more precise than the tawa and its pose is quite dynamic, it seems as if it were defending the nest or attacking another of its kind. The filaments of their feathers are correct. My grade is 9.8 / 10.

Finally the psittacosaurus ... is the best I have right now in my collection of toy dinosaurs, beautifully made and looks like a resin figure and I think I do not exaggerate. It looks better physically than in the promotional photos and in the image of the Chinese toy store. A great figure (recommended) my note in this case is 10/10.  8)

In general, the new dinosaurs represent a substantial improvement by Schleich with respect to all previous years by this company. If they continue like this can be a company that rivals in genius with the most powerful toy dinosaurs (without meaning that it already rivals in quality with figures such as oviraptor, dinogorgon and the great psittacosaurus).

What these figures lack is perhaps the cloacal opening that would make them much more real.

As to whether they are paleoartistically correct or incorrect, I am sorry to say that I am unable to comment because I am a simple collector and I do not understand biology and less about paleontology, even if you read all the dinosaur books and saw all paleontology web pages. to have.

I only wanted to exchange my first impressions at first sight about Schleich's novelties. I understand that Schleich this year has done a good job, he has made an effort and in my case as a good collector of dinosaur figures I value it enormously.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: