News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Quote from: John on December 16, 2017, 06:58:06 AM
It may not be a good idea to harass an artist on Facebook by asking him why he is a "rip off" when it comes to some of his work.
Doing that could well end with him telling you to go do something with yourself that rhymes with "cluck"... ;)

Well put it politely, it is still a legitimate question. I wonder if Schleich gives reference images to their sculptors, given that there are lots of paleoart works resembling their models. It sounds something you can do with a random guy that's your employed, but strange to do with a public profile artist that you hire for a specific job.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Moldovan0731 on December 16, 2017, 09:18:11 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2017, 03:51:53 PM
The Tawa is definitely his style, minimal feathering clinging to the animals skin and shrink-wrapped. Not saying it's bad stylistically, just that it's not accurate and honestly I don't recall any of his models ever being accurate.

While his T. rex and Triceratops have a bit of speculation (feathers, quills, osteoderm on the head of the T. rex), I don't see any inaccuracy about them, maybe I'm wrong though.
I assume you're referring to the (current) ones from The Isle? He actually didn't make those, another sculptor did.

AFAIK the models for The Isle that he did are;
TSL Tyrannosaurus* since removed from the game
TSL Puertasaurus
TSL Gallimimus
TSL Shantungosaurus
TSL Psittacosaurus
TSL Titanoboa
TSL Quetzalcoatlus
Herrerasaurus
Pteranodon* not in-game yet

The TSL Tyrannosaurus is shrink-wrapped, most notably lacking the necessary musculature on its tail (a common trend also on his Gallimimus and Herrerasaurus), and the teeth are exposed when the mouth closes. It was far more egregious in-game than in still renders.

paintingdinos

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2017, 03:18:04 PM
I assume you're referring to the (current) ones from The Isle? He actually didn't make those, another sculptor did.

TSL Puertasaurus
TSL Gallimimus
TSL Shantungosaurus
TSL Psittacosaurus
TSL Titanoboa
TSL Quetzalcoatlus
Herrerasaurus

The TSL Tyrannosaurus is shrink-wrapped, most notably lacking the necessary musculature on its tail (a common trend also on his Gallimimus and Herrerasaurus), and the teeth are exposed when the mouth closes. It was far more egregious in-game than in still renders.

His Therizinosaurus and Austroraptor are also still there, I believe.

I wish someone would make a model reminiscent of his ultra-fluffy Theri. Accuracy or not, its my personal favorite weird representation of an otherwise very weird animal :)

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2017, 03:18:04 PM
Quote from: Moldovan0731 on December 16, 2017, 09:18:11 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2017, 03:51:53 PM
The Tawa is definitely his style, minimal feathering clinging to the animals skin and shrink-wrapped. Not saying it's bad stylistically, just that it's not accurate and honestly I don't recall any of his models ever being accurate.

While his T. rex and Triceratops have a bit of speculation (feathers, quills, osteoderm on the head of the T. rex), I don't see any inaccuracy about them, maybe I'm wrong though.

TSL Puertasaurus
TSL Gallimimus
TSL Shantungosaurus
TSL Psittacosaurus
TSL Titanoboa
TSL Quetzalcoatlus
Herrerasaurus

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but these look pretty good to me, anatomically at least.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2017, 03:45:02 PM
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but these look pretty good to me, anatomically at least.

Have never seen the first one before, that Triceratops looks ok but the Tyrannosaurus is shrink-wrapped still. The pubic boot shouldn't jut out like that it should be encased in muscle.

I'd forgotten about the Carnotaurus (and Austro and Theri). Carnotaurus suffers from the same lack of tail musculature and its skull is shrink-wrapped (doesn't show in that render), as does the Austroraptor.

amargasaurus cazaui

Could just be perspective or speculative on the artists part but the trike is also a bit...speculative...the skull looks very narrow, or thinned unnaturally, and the horns are quite elongate and slender to an extreme, which would make them tend to break easily...they just seem sharpened heavily and narrow towards the ends is all. Nitpicks, but you can somewhat see the stylization the artist is using
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

indominus

Woah, Schleich's effort in the design and detail of their figurines have really plummeted in the last few years. Just compare the Papo Acrocanthosaurus with the Schleich one, before you try to prove me wrong. I used to always buy Schleich, and now I buy Papo and Rebor only.

Rain

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2017, 04:09:20 PM
Quote from: Rain on December 16, 2017, 03:45:02 PM

Have never seen the first one before, that Triceratops looks ok but the Tyrannosaurus is shrink-wrapped still. The pubic boot shouldn't jut out like that it should be encased in muscle.

I'd forgotten about the Carnotaurus (and Austro and Theri). Carnotaurus suffers from the same lack of tail musculature and its skull is shrink-wrapped (doesn't show in that render), as does the Austroraptor.

Makes sense, also I don't think that's the Carno used in TSL but an entirely different one. And you're definitely right about the shrink wrapping and him being conservative, I forgot to mention that in the original post.

Halichoeres

Quote from: indominus on December 16, 2017, 06:45:52 PM
Woah, Schleich's effort in the design and detail of their figurines have really plummeted in the last few years. Just compare the Papo Acrocanthosaurus with the Schleich one, before you try to prove me wrong. I used to always buy Schleich, and now I buy Papo and Rebor only.

I think Schleich has always just been really uneven. Their Dunkleosteus is just as detailed as any of their other figures, although, like Papo and Rebor, it's pretty inaccurate. The Schleich Kentrosaurus and Stegosaurus were also reasonably detailed. Their Acrocanthosaurus is definitely their worst figure in years, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

There are figures of Schleich like that acrocanthosaurus that sincerely has disillusioned me as a figure. At least the herrerasaurus and the barapasaurus have their charm without being quite accurate and good figures although it is true that these two figures of dinosaurs are very rare in the toy market and is appreciated by Schleich without that means that they are excellent, but at least they are acceptable within the philosophy of Schleich.

But the acrocanthosaurus is a static figure and very little elaborated. I understand that Scheich will have to reissue her in a larger entity, since I do not think she has much acceptance in the market. A new acrocantosaurus Schleich is needed that rivals that of other toy companies.

The kentrosaurus and Schleich stegosaurus are abyssally superior to the acrocanthosaurus.

Unfortunately, acrocanthosaurus is comparable to the weakest figures of the Humbold Museum in Berlin, such as baryonyx, albertosaurus or carnotaurus.

sauroid

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 16, 2017, 10:55:57 PM

I think Schleich has always just been really uneven. Their Dunkleosteus is just as detailed as any of their other figures, although, like Papo and Rebor, it's pretty inaccurate. The Schleich Kentrosaurus and Stegosaurus were also reasonably detailed. Their Acrocanthosaurus is definitely their worst figure in years, though.
their Acrocanthosaurus and Allosaurus  :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Quote from: sauroid on December 16, 2017, 11:40:27 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on December 16, 2017, 10:55:57 PM

their Acrocanthosaurus and Allosaurus  :)

Oof, I'd forgotten about that abomination.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

One WANTS to forget about the Allosaurus!

sauroid

unfortunately, once you see that Allosaurus, you can never unsee it. :'(
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

If you're interested in new Schleich (and from Europe), they're available at Modellpferdeversand:

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/Schleich-Figures/2018-Schleich-News-First-Part:::139_934.html?language=en&MODsid=9bkjenrkoeekk54ku9285oi9f5

:)

Reptilia

Very tempted to pick Psittacosaurus and Dinogorgon, but I think I'll wait for video reviews to get a better idea of the actual quality.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: sauroid on December 17, 2017, 03:32:03 PM
unfortunately, once you see that Allosaurus, you can never unsee it. :'(

spinosaurus1

someone repainted the psittacosaurus. it has some awesome custom potential

Reptilia

Best Psittacosaurus figure ever, hands down.

Lanthanotus

Really nice custom, tho I still like the Safari one better.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: