News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Steppe Mammoth PVC figure - Coming soon!

Started by Eofauna, August 16, 2017, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SidB on February 27, 2018, 02:45:39 AM
It's painful to fork out the $40 ... but in the case of the Steppe Mammoth from Eofauna, it was worth it, I'd have to say. Just wish that there were more 1/40 scale prehistoric mammals around.

Then it is almost certain that it is a Palaeoloxodon I celebrate it since it is an almost unknown species in the toy market. I hope it is made of PVC material. The truth and truth is that at first glance looks very good and that we see only a small fragrance of that figure.

Eofauna knows where you have a secure buyer. On the other hand, I would like you to do prehistoric mammals at a scale of 1:20 instead of 1:40 (although I do not care for buying purposes either) but I sincerely like prehistoric mammals on a larger scale and even without scale. As long as they are well detailed for me it is a point in favor.  ^-^

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 26, 2018, 11:29:33 PM
I passed on the steppe mammoth because it cost $40 Canadian at Minizoo. But if that's really a Palaeoloxodon namadicus, then I have to have it. Period.

Same here, I would have paid the $40 no problem, but to pay for another $10-15 for postage really  gave me a slap in the face and woke me up! LOL ;D

Fembrogon

My mammoth arrived the other week, and it looks splendid! Without a doubt, this is a standout figure - sizable, finely painted, and intricately detailed.

I eagerly await whatever prehistoric replicas Eofauna has in store next. Honestly, I think it's too early for me to have preferences/requests; although more lesser-known genera/species would be welcome, and a consistent scale between figures would be a great detail. Having a lineup of figures this caliber that match each other would be perfect.

sauroid

those two look good together. i wonder if the WS mammoth could pass for a subadult steppe mammoth tho.

*i'm also curious how Eofauna Mammuthus primigenius would look like if it gets made by the brand*
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Albertosaurus

That is a fantastic sculpt! It makes the Safari one look terribly cartoony.
I wonder if the new one is their Southern Mammoth...
https://goo.gl/images/WRFTka

stargatedalek

As much as I can't deny the wonderful quality of these, I just don't have an interest in elephants.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 28, 2018, 06:35:28 PM
As much as I can't deny the wonderful quality of these, I just don't have an interest in elephants.

I'm kind of with you...it looks good. But as far as prehistoric mammals/animals go, hairy elephants just don't get my attention.

tanystropheus

I think they should release these 'hairy elephants' before they become extant, photographable and instagrammable. It's difficult to deny the majestic appeal of these behemoths.

suspsy

Quote from: SBell on February 28, 2018, 06:37:29 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 28, 2018, 06:35:28 PM

I'm kind of with you...it looks good. But as far as prehistoric mammals/animals go, hairy elephants just don't get my attention.

I generally like prehistoric proboscideans that are really weird. I love both the Mojo and CollectA Deinotheriums, I'm keen for the upcoming CollectA Gomphotherium, and I'm dying for either them or Safari to make a Platybelodon or a Stegodon or a Stegotetrabelodon. The woolly mammoth and the American mastodon are admittedly kind of bland by comparison, but they have iconic status going for them. And the sheer size of Palaeoloxodon namadicus makes it sufficiently weird in my book. An elephant far bigger than any theropod, bigger than a lot of sauropods, big enough to make Paraceratherium turn tail. 8)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

It would also be interesting to make a moeritherium.Ese elephant is very little represented in the toy market.  :)

Fembrogon

Normally I don't give mammals much attention (compared to dinosaurs, reptiles, avians, etc), but this one was well worth the purchase, even if it was a bit pricey.

Some more detailed thoughts I had on the Eofauna line I wanted to share (esp. if Eofauna's rep is still around):

- I think the 1:40 scale is good, and I hope future releases are consistent in this - or, alternatively, a couple of scales are established and then adhered to. I think there's something particularly special about being able to display figures together with that extra level of detail, and it feels awkward sometimes putting species of radically different size  together when their figures are off-scale. I think 1:40 will permit a good range in sizes without getting too large (and expensive) or too small - although, who knows? Some "minifigures" and deluxe giant figures might be pretty cool down the line.

- While more lesser-know species are certainly welcome, it occurred to me that a series of "alternate classics" in particular might be a good marketing ploy. We have the Steppe mammoth instead of a woolly mammoth right now; how about a Torosaurus instead of a Triceratops? How about a Homotherium instead of a Smilodon? How about an Arambourgiania instead of a Quetzalcoatlus? How about a Sphenacodon instead of a Dimetrodon? There are plenty of species similar to the famous prehistoric genera, that rarely get represented in media. Promoting those species would be a delight for collectors, and might catch the eye of retailers and casual customers by visual familiarity.

Eofauna

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 01, 2018, 05:11:32 AM
- I think the 1:40 scale is good, and I hope future releases are consistent in this - or, alternatively, a couple of scales are established and then adhered to. I think there's something particularly special about being able to display figures together with that extra level of detail, and it feels awkward sometimes putting species of radically different size  together when their figures are off-scale. I think 1:40 will permit a good range in sizes without getting too large (and expensive) or too small - although, who knows? Some "minifigures" and deluxe giant figures might be pretty cool down the line.

- While more lesser-know species are certainly welcome, it occurred to me that a series of "alternate classics" in particular might be a good marketing ploy. We have the Steppe mammoth instead of a woolly mammoth right now; how about a Torosaurus instead of a Triceratops? How about a Homotherium instead of a Smilodon? How about an Arambourgiania instead of a Quetzalcoatlus? How about a Sphenacodon instead of a Dimetrodon? There are plenty of species similar to the famous prehistoric genera, that rarely get represented in media. Promoting those species would be a delight for collectors, and might catch the eye of retailers and casual customers by visual familiarity.

Hi collectors!

We are happy to see the expectation for the new model. We read all your comments and we try to fulfil your wishes as far as possible. In this sense, we have decided to go for the 1:35 scale for future models (at least for Proboscideans and large theropods, big sauropods should be in 1:40). Considering that our Steppe mammoth is based on the largest specimen found, other medium-sized species would be quite small, so we finally decided to enlarge the scale. The good is that the current Steppe mammoth at 1:35 scale would represent an average individual of nearly 4 m tall at the shoulders, and it looks great with our new model!

Best!

Eofauna

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Eofauna on March 01, 2018, 08:53:21 AM

Hi collectors!

We are happy to see the expectation for the new model. We read all your comments and we try to fulfil your wishes as far as possible. In this sense, we have decided to go for the 1:35 scale for future models (at least for Proboscideans and large theropods, big sauropods should be in 1:40). Considering that our Steppe mammoth is based on the largest specimen found, other medium-sized species would be quite small, so we finally decided to enlarge the scale. The good is that the current Steppe mammoth at 1:35 scale would represent an average individual of nearly 4 m tall at the shoulders, and it looks great with our new model!

Best!

Eofauna

wow wow...is Eofauna then going to create a line of theropods and Sauropods??? that is great!! any species decided yet? well known ones or obscure?

Eofauna

wow wow...is Eofauna then going to create a line of theropods and Sauropods??? that is great!! any species decided yet? well known ones or obscure?

Yep, and ornithischians too. Our focus will be mainly prehistoric animals. More news about, in a few months...

Shonisaurus

Sincerely, I am very happy to have more theropods and sauropods at 1:40 scale and prehistoric mammals at 1:35 scale. Above all I would like some figures to be new in the toy market. I am aware of the main demand of these figures is of children and therefore we will have to realize already known species.

On the other hand I am very happy with his steppe mammoth (mammoth trogontheri) which is one of the best figures of prehistoric elephants that I have known, mainly I see that his company of PVC figures is destined more to collectors as is my case and to scientists .

You already know my preferences, but if you make sauropods I would like more a barosaurus, rapetosaurus, dicraeosaurus, argentinosaurus and theropods I would like some figures that have not been treated fairly in the toy market since they have been made to quite small scale, as tyrannosaurs type alioramus, daspletosaurus, zhuchengtyrannus, albertosaurus, gorgosaurus and tarbosaurus. I would also like a deinocheirus and spinosaurus based on their excellent paleoartistic representations of the book of Asier Larramendi Records and curiosities of the dinosaurs, their illustrations are fabulous and could be translated as they are from their franchise in PVC figures worthy for museum exhibitions, for scientists and collectors.

Other figures of theropods that I would like would be the tyrannotitan, majunghasaurus, rajasaurus and another that I believe has not been treated in the market of collecting and toy with justice as the gigantoraptor.

On the other hand there are many extinct mammals that are either poorly represented or unrepresented in the market of collecting (both PVC and resin) and toy.

As a postdata I bought the Trogontheri mammoth at the beginning of the year and I can say that the fascination I have for this figure is equal to or greater than when I bought it. A real luxury figure made by tall artists. Excuse me if I can seem too complimentary but what I say is the simple reality of what I think. I am very happy with eofauna.  8) :)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Eofauna on March 01, 2018, 11:11:05 AM

Yep, and ornithischians too. Our focus will be mainly prehistoric animals. More news about, in a few months...

EEEEEEE!!!!!! So many animals you guys are hinting at! After the fantastic Steppe Mammoth, I can't wait to see them!

John

Quote from: Eofauna on March 01, 2018, 08:53:21 AM

Hi collectors!

Best!

Eofauna

Sauropods?That would be nice.It should be noted that the latest findings and discoveries strongly hint toward sauropod teeth being entirely covered when the mouth is closed,or basically,the sauropods had so-called "lips" in life (what appears to be gingival covering is preserved on the skull of a well preserved Camarasaurus skeleton,which gives backing to Mark Witton's take on Diplodocus in his research on it while creating the mural to accompany "Dippy",the Diplodocus skeleton cast that was once in the Natural History Museum,London).
There are quite a few that I would like to see your take on.
The aforementioned Diplodocus carnegii would be nice,or Apatosaurus louisae?
Brontosaurus excelsus,
Barosaurus lentus,
Camarasaurus lentus,or
Giraffatitan brancai?
Any one of these and more than I can think of right now would be nice to see. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Jose S.M.

Oh I can't wait to see Eofauna's dinosaurs! All of their products actually but since we got mammals already dinosaurs intrigue me.

sauroid

yes these might be the dinosaur plastic figures we've all been dying for (PNSO was so close but had to die prematurely)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Simon

I have mixed feelings about this ... on the one hand a 1/35 scale Palaoloxodon or Southern Mammoth will fit well with my PNSO/Vitae critters ... on the other hand my entire prehistoric mammal collection is 1:40 scale, so this ends the hope of getting some more FINE Eofauna models for that group ...

... OK, I'm over it ... BRING IT ON!!!!   ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: