News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Steppe Mammoth PVC figure - Coming soon!

Started by Eofauna, August 16, 2017, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Eofauna

Hi CARN0TAURUS!

Very nice story.

About the colours, theoretically, all production should have been made in matt colours, but some of the pieces were painted with a somewhat glossy aspect. The factory was already advised and they told us that in the future they will have more care about the painting.

Yes, you are right, the Mammoth was inspired (and in honour) on the fantastic illustration by Zdenek Burian. We have the great book you mention with the gorgeous cover.  ^-^

Best!

Eofauna

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 26, 2017, 08:01:34 PM
Long time reader and first time poster, but this figure inspired me to register and write something ;)

I've been into dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals since childhood.  I've read a few books over the years dating back to the 1970s but perhaps the word 'casual' comes to mind when refering to both my collecting and my cummulative knowledge on prehistoric animals.  I guess I don't know very much, but I'm learning a lot from reading everyone's posts here  :)

My first dinosaur was a theropod my dad bought me at Kmart in the mid 1970s.  I tragically lost it during a move sometime in the late 1990s.  I couldn't tell you who made it or what it was (allosaurus or T-rex?).  It was big like 15 inches long, a tripod, it was yellow with red stripes and his mouth was wide open.  He may have been hollow too because I could fit my finger down his throat.

I only own a handful of dinosaurs and a handful of prehistoric mammals in my tiny collection but I HAD to have this mammoth when I saw images of it.  My one and only issue with mine is how glossy the finish is.  Perhaps it has a protective clearcoat to ensure the color stays on during play?  I've considered spraying it with a light layer of dullcoat but am too worried it would destroy the finish or the plastic.

I handle mine only to look at it and admire it, at my 50 years of age this one won't be getting much wear and tear from rough play.  This piece has the feel of a museum type model but at a price I can afford.  It really is a sculpture, it's beautiful.  With many of these toys, I wish they were available in solid grey plastic without paint as I feel the paintwork on many of these pieces really detracts from the sculpts. Perhaps a more affordable "collectors edition" without the toy like paints?  That said, the actual paintwork application and colors on this piece are excellent except for the glossy aspect of the finish. The 'washes' bring out all the amazing detail and the colors themselves are convincing and realistic (no white tusks).

Also wanted to mention this mammoth figure (the pose) reminds me of the cover art for an old book by josef augusta?  I think I may have read that book back in the 1980s at the public library, it was called " a book of mammoths"  I will try to buy it from Amazon when I see one at a reasonable price.

Shonisaurus

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Eofauna on December 25, 2017, 11:00:17 AM
Hi Collectors!

We are very happy to see Eofauna Steppe Mammoth in the 7th position of the "Top 10 best dinosaur models of 2017" :-)

This only encourages us to make better models in the future.

Best!

Eofauna

Congratulations!  I might have to google that list to see who placed ahead of you because your mammoth is the best plastic figure I've EVER held in my hand.  I would own many more pieces if the quality you produced in your mammoth was a common standard. 

I read you will be introducing a new piece sometime in the near future.  I can't imagine your standards dropping off after you guys placed so much time, energy, and passion creating a such a high quality product.  As long as the standard remains this high, I'll be buying whatever you guys produce regardless of what it is.  Count me as a fan of your work and a loyal customer.  I can't wait to see what you guys introduce next  ;D

As for quality, it beats quantity and size everytime so keep up the great work!

o7

tanystropheus

There is a new teaser for a PVC Proboscidea model...

Andreioli

Judging by the size of that ear, I think it might be an african elephant.

The teaser is on the Eofauna Facebook page BTW.

Shonisaurus

I believe that it is fortunately an African elephant, (that does have a very good look) I say fortunately because this species still exists among us and unfortunately it is not a prehistoric elephant that is what interests me. I honestly like the figures of Eofauna but I am not going to buy a replica of an animal that thanks to Life still exists with us.  :)

I collect prehistoric and extinct animals (quagga, ivory-tipped woodpecker, thylacine) but not current animals. And I hope you never have to buy any figure of a contemporary animal because that means that it is missing or extinct.

Jose S.M.

If it is an African elephant of the size of the mammoth I'll be happy, I love elephants and I'm looking to get one in toy from since I had a resin one that broke when a small bookshelf I had fell. I was thinking in the wildlife wonders one by Safari (I'm pretty sure Doug made that one) but I'll wait a bit more to see this. But probably still get the Safari one because it's big and nice.

postsaurischian

O:-) Please show the pic for the lost souls (me included) that don't do facebook!

Simon

Could be an African elephant ... or it could be a Paleoxodon (check the photo posted Jan 3, right before this one on their FB page) ...  ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 26, 2018, 03:58:11 PM
O:-) Please show the pic for the lost souls (me included) that don't do facebook!

It isn't much, but here you go:

I think Palaeoloxodon is a good guess.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Whatever it is I have a feeling it'll be as wonderful as the steppe mammoth. If it's anything prehistoric, even better!

Shonisaurus

By the way, could not be the palaeoloxodon commented? It has the traces of being or as you say an African elephant or maybe that mythical elephant. We must bear in mind that eofauna was going to focus on making extinct and mainly prehistoric animals that had never been commercialized or had been marketed sparingly, according to what eofauna told me in its day, apart from prehistoric animals and classic or emblematic dinosaurs.

The doubt that it will be PVC or resin. My curiosity bites me. I hope it is commercialized very soon in the stores of the world.

His mammoth troghonteri is the best thing that a toy dinosaur company has done, in fact he scored himself as one of the best star figures of this past year 2017 by the members of dinotoyforum.  :)

Ravonium

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 26, 2018, 09:13:22 PM
By the way, could not be the palaeoloxodon commented? It has the traces of being or as you say an African elephant or maybe that mythical elephant. We must bear in mind that eofauna was going to focus on making extinct and mainly prehistoric animals that had never been commercialized or had been marketed sparingly, according to what eofauna told me in its day, apart from prehistoric animals and classic or emblematic dinosaurs.

For me, this is the reason why I am a bit skeptical of this being an African Elephant. Regardless, the ears look a bit too long to be a Palaeoloxodon, so I don't have my hopes up yet for either guess.

Update: Looking at that photo Simon mentioned, I still think African Elephant is an OK guess, but I now think Palaeoloxodon is a bit more likely.

Simon

On Facebook someone guessed it was a Deinotherium - I don't think so because you can see enough of the figure's back to see that it is sharply sloped - every Deinotherium reconstruction I've seen has the back being basically parallel to the ground all the way to the head ...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Simon on February 26, 2018, 09:41:15 PM
On Facebook someone guessed it was a Deinotherium - I don't think so because you can see enough of the figure's back to see that it is sharply sloped - every Deinotherium reconstruction I've seen has the back being basically parallel to the ground all the way to the head ...

The CollectA Deinotherium  is probably the most radical interpretation that I've seen. Also, if it really is the Deinotherium, wouldn't Eofauna keep the colors a consistent bluish (with respect to their statue set)?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 26, 2018, 09:13:22 PM
By the way, could not be the palaeoloxodon commented? It has the traces of being or as you say an African elephant or maybe that mythical elephant.

Speaking of mythical elephants, I wish Schleich would re-release their white armored elephant. I totally missed the opportunity!

suspsy

I passed on the steppe mammoth because it cost $40 Canadian at Minizoo. But if that's really a Palaeoloxodon namadicus, then I have to have it. Period.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Simon

Here is the previous image that they posted on the Eofauna FB page, on Jan 3.  It is of their design for the cover of a paleontological publication.  This is why I am guessing it just *might* be a sculpt of the LARGEST elephant that ever lived ... Palaeoloxodon ... (and man that's sayin' a mouthful!  ;) )

SidB

It's painful to fork out the $40 ... but in the case of the Steppe Mammoth from Eofauna, it was worth it, I'd have to say. Just wish that there were more 1/40 scale prehistoric mammals around.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: