News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Steppe Mammoth PVC figure - Coming soon!

Started by Eofauna, August 16, 2017, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrorchicken

I just wish some company would makea Columbian mammoth. Its the mammoth from the La Brea Tar Pits, how has there never been a figure of it!

Simon

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 10, 2017, 09:20:33 PM
I just wish some company would makea Columbian mammoth. Its the mammoth from the La Brea Tar Pits, how has there never been a figure of it!

The Columbian Mammoth was a species of Steppe Mammoth ... it would probably be similar in size and appearance as the Steppe Mammoth figure ... the tusks might vary a little, but within each species there was so much variation...

... personally what I'd like to see is a Paleoxodon figure - the largest elephant ever, with sabre-straight gigantic tusks! (and a good Deinotheirum, of course...)   ;)

mammoth

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 10, 2017, 03:45:38 PM
A mastodon americanum of Eofauna would be magnificent. The same is true of the deinotherium. Although I would also like figures unpublished in toy like mamut columbini, mamut imperator or mamut meridionalis.

Eofauna did make an American mastodon, deinotherium, and Southern mammoth but they are in resin.  I purchased their 1:48 scale resin models a few years ago, here is how they look next to the new PVC Steppe mammoth.  I made them larger in the second image so they are scaled properly with the Steppe mammoth.  I hope they will re-release these species in PVC at 1:40 scale in the future as the sculpting is top quality.

PhilSauria

Much as I'd like to see Eofauna's level of naturalistic quality applied to Dinosaurs these are a logical move to pvc, as the sculpts are already done, just scale as required. Thanks for the images, I'd never seen these before.

Mironimus

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Jose S.M.

I hope they make them. A stellar line up it would be.

Simon

Thanks for the photos!  I remember when these resins came out - they were too small and too expensive so I didn't get them.  I hope they do the rest of them in 1:40 scale, too!

Shonisaurus

I sincerely prefer them without scale. I prefer your figures to be detailed.

I have the exceptional mammoth trogontherii of Eofauna and of course it is a beautiful figure however for me it was desirable that they had done it on a smaller scale so as to be at the same size as the Carnegie mammoth to give an example. It is a great figure but for me the size in dinosaur figures of collectible toys interests me more than scale.

RobinGoodfellow

The new Eofauna Steppe Mammoth is a great figure (and I have it in my collection now).
BUT these pictures clearly show that RESIN models are waaay better than any PVC figure... sorry but it's the truth..
(I know, resin figures are expensive but I prefer quality)
And it's a shame they are out of production..  :'(

tanystropheus

While the resin are clearly better as far as quality is concerned, Eofauna's PVC is leagues above competitor products (e.g. Mojo, Carnegie, Bullyland, and Papo).

It would be a prudent business move for Eofauna to translate their resin models (Mammuthus meridionalis, Deinotherium giganteeum, Mammut Americanum) into PVC. Furthermore, they should expand the line by introducing other prehistoric elephants (e.g. Platybelodon, Amebelodon, Palaeoloxodon, Gomphotherium etc.). I would be delighted to see a series dedicated to extinct elephants.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 12, 2017, 11:20:20 AM
While the resin are clearly better as far as quality is concerned, Eofauna's PVC is leagues above competitor products (e.g. Mojo, Carnegie, Bullyland, and Papo).

It would be a prudent business move for Eofauna to translate their resin models (Mammuthus meridionalis, Deinotherium giganteeum, Mammut Americanum) into PVC. Furthermore, they should expand the line by introducing other prehistoric elephants (e.g. Platybelodon, Amebelodon, Palaeoloxodon, Gomphotherium etc.). I would be delighted to see a series dedicated to extinct elephants.

Completely agree with you. I would like Eofauna to edit (with no too small scales) all the figures of prehistoric elephants. I like dinosaurs more but prehistoric life before and after dinosaurs and other prehistoric Mesozoic creatures that lived with the dinosaurs fascinate me.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 12, 2017, 09:44:24 AM
I have the exceptional mammoth trogontherii of Eofauna and of course it is a beautiful figure however for me it was desirable that they had done it on a smaller scale so as to be at the same size as the Carnegie mammoth to give an example.
..sorry but I don't understand..
Eofauna Mammoth is a little smaller than Carnegie Mammoth...
To be the same size, Eofauna should be bigger than that and not smaller.
I'm talking about figure's size.

Eofauna is 1:40 and Carnegie Mammoth is 1:30; Carnegie is bigger than Eofauna (a little bigger to be honest).
If scale doesn't matter, they look quite good next to each other..

In real life Steppe Mammoth was bigger.

Perhaps are you talking about Safari Mammoth (and not Carnegie) ?
This one? :

:)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on October 12, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 12, 2017, 09:44:24 AM
I have the exceptional mammoth trogontherii of Eofauna and of course it is a beautiful figure however for me it was desirable that they had done it on a smaller scale so as to be at the same size as the Carnegie mammoth to give an example.
..sorry but I don't understand..
Eofauna Mammoth is a little smaller than Carnegie Mammoth...
To be the same size, Eofauna should be bigger than that and not smaller.
I'm talking about figure's size.

Eofauna is 1:40 and Carnegie Mammoth is 1:30; Carnegie is bigger than Eofauna (a little bigger to be honest).
If scale doesn't matter, they look quite good next to each other..

In real life Steppe Mammoth was bigger.

Perhaps are you talking about Safari Mammoth (and not Carnegie) ?
This one? :

:)

Robin. the mammoth trogontherii of Eofauna as I have told you is fabulous. But I do mean the comparison of the Carnegie mammoth I have in front of me and is more bulky. True they measure almost the same but the volume of the mammoth primigenius figure of Carnegie is much greater than the mammoth trogontherii of ยท Eofauna. If you look at the legs are twice as thick as Eofauna's.

And the Carnegie mammoth is slightly longer than the Eofauna. With that I do not criticize at all to the company of Eofauna of which I have an outstanding concept, and is one of the great companies of prehistoric mammals like Safari, Collecta, Mojo or Papo but if you look at how thick the Carnegie is more difficult to cover said figure with the index and thumb, one hand is thicker but the mammoth Trogontherii of Eofauna, one has no problem grasping the figure completely with the forefinger and thumb and I have to admit that my hand is quite small. That is what I meant. In fact I have them both on my shelves and you see the larger Carnegie than the Eofauna. That does not remove as I have repeated in this writing twice that he is a great figure, but would have preferred that they had done it on a 1:35 or 1:38 scale.

Simon

Inconsistent scaling is the bane of collectors. 

With dinosaurs, I now collect 1:35 scale because it allows for more detail without being too large.  With mammals its 1:40 or nothing, as I have all of Malcolm's beautiful mammals in 1:40, so the new Eofauna Steppe Mammoth will be a welcome addition to the herd ... back when I collected figures of various scales I wound up having 4 or 5 different display areas by scale.  After a while it just got too silly.

None of the companies that have done prehistoric mammals have been consistent in scaling them (smaller animals are done in larger scales for obvious sales reasons, but it makes them impossible to display side by side with larger animals for a scaled theme display)

terrorchicken

Quote from: Simon on October 10, 2017, 11:57:31 PM
Quote from: terrorchicken on October 10, 2017, 09:20:33 PM

The Columbian Mammoth was a species of Steppe Mammoth ... it would probably be similar in size and appearance as the Steppe Mammoth figure ... the tusks might vary a little, but within each species there was so much variation...

... personally what I'd like to see is a Paleoxodon figure - the largest elephant ever, with sabre-straight gigantic tusks! (and a good Deinotheirum, of course...)   ;)

oh I didnt know that. Though I like how depictions of Columbians show them less hairy(like the Eofauna southern mammoth resin figure)than other mammoths.
and I agree about the paleoxodon!

tyrantqueen

QuoteScale is the bane of collectors.

Fixed :D

Seriously, things were easier when I was a kid and didn't know about scale. It's a headache. Pick a larger scale and sauropods become a nightmare. Go with a small scale and you lose detail and the pickings are slim. I've been up and down the scale scale (lol) from 1/20 all the way to 1/72. I can't seem to settle. I only know I want to stay under 1/40 because I don't have the space to buy anything bigger. I generally like animals to scale with each other because part of the fun of collecting is making dioramas with them and displaying them together.

Anyone else feel this way?

PhilSauria

I can see the appeal of having figures to scale, I believe all of the Invicta range were made to scale with each other and I have seen some amazing dioramas on the Forum using that factor; but I am going to risk being branded a heretic and say that scale is not an issue with my collecting. I can't see the various manufacturers agreeing on a universal scale anyhow. Having said that though, it is funny how most of the Mammoths (of which I have quite a herd) all seem to be about the same size, give or take. I like larger figures, they look quite impressive on display and as about a third of my collection is Sauropods I have a lot of large figures. And yes, space is always an issue so I am constantly having to reshuffle this and relocate that to accommodate new arrivals but you can still see daylight between the figures. I'd box stuff off rather having figures stacked on top of each other but that's an option I guess if my intake of bigguns continues, as is likely given the size of some of Safari and Collecta's recent output. But I can also see how the this must be a source of frustration to collectors who do value scale.

Reptilia

Those resin models are beautiful, you only have to compare the Mastodon and Deinotherium with Safari and Collecta homologues to see how massive is the difference in quality. That said, I would prefer Eofauna to step in another direction for their next PVC figure, make a series of similar or related animals is not the best way to start a line in my opinion. The steppe mammoth is great, but now I want to see a dinosaur, or something totally different anyway. A classic big theropod would be my pick, just to see what is the level of detail Eofauna can reach. If they're going to compete in the same league as Papo, Rebor and Collecta, or if they're going to be more rivals for the likes of Safari.

Simon

Here are a couple of instructive diagrams about proboscedian size - the upper end (as compared to Paraceratherium):

Archosauria

Marvelous! I love the sculpt!

Can't wait to get my hands on one!
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: