News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Thanks for the closeup of the Amargasaurus, Boki.  It confirms my earlier opinion.  To me, it looks like a glorified Chinasaur (the old, cheap kind).  The proportions look off (legs in particular), the tail's too thin, spines are off, "laughing horse face" looks wrong, etc.  Not impressed at all.  They should have let Doug sculpt it...

Faelrin

The Amargasaurus is kind of growing on me, though it still has its issues as pointed out. I still wish it was smaller then their Apatosaurus as well. It seems to be almost the same size if going by the measurements on the website.

After all these images on the Anzu my opinions are still the same on it. Also what's with the white spot on your Anzu's neck? Is that sloppily applied paint or paint chipping?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Amargasaurus is definitely off my wish list that's for sure.
The lack of lips is very disturbing

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Simon on November 06, 2017, 04:55:49 PM
Thanks for the closeup of the Amargasaurus, Boki.  It confirms my earlier opinion.  To me, it looks like a glorified Chinasaur (the old, cheap kind).  The proportions look off (legs in particular), the tail's too thin, spines are off, "laughing horse face" looks wrong, etc.  Not impressed at all.  They should have let Doug sculpt it...

I agree, and I think you finally nailed it about the legs! I keep on thinking that there is something off about the figure ( and the Diplo also), and it's the legs, they are way to skinny , almost human-like to me! And the lack of lips, along with the highlights on the head is really disturbing :))
Imagine what this could have looked like if Doug sculpted it.

Jose S.M.

I could have ooverlooked the lack of lips but the paintjob of the face makes it worst, also in photo the head looks almost smooth, that combined with the paint job doesn't look good.

Edit: in the comparison thread photos of the amarga I can see a bit more texture on the head so it's not that smooth as I thought.

DC

I would count the przewalski horse as new release for the Ice Age
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

Honestly and that I'm a fan of Safari, the amargasaurus looks a little weird. With all my respect and I apologize if someone offended that elongated head reminds me of the head that the members of the Akenathon family had.

It seems a little cartoonish to me and not because the members of the forum say so. Seeing this figure I'm still in spite of the size with Carnegie's amargasaurus or Battat's. However in the rest of the body I do not find disproportion if in the head.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2017, 05:33:01 PM
Honestly and that I'm a fan of Safari, the amargasaurus looks a little weird. With all my respect and I apologize if someone offended that elongated head reminds me of the head that the members of the Akenathon family had.

That's hilarious. Those cone-head Pharaohs with the alien DNA from the Akhenaton (Moses?) family...

It's a really well made Amarga, but the PNSO is still the definitive version. I'm not sure what people mean by cartoonish, though. Similar to last year's Diplo and Krono, the paint app seems hyperrealistic and almost laser chiseled in. I guess you can say it looks like CGI. I think the head of the Amarga is supposed to be stretched out (it is a diplodocid after all ). The Carnegie version probably misrepresented the species by giving it a blunted snout.

tyrantqueen

The KV55 remains are what most people consider to be Akhenaten's mummy, which may or may not be him. Testing of the bones suggest that the skeleton is too young to be Akhenaten. Tutankhamun (who is related to the KV55 mummy but it is not concretely known how) also possesses an elongated skull, which seems to be a characteristic of the Thutmosid line (probably worsened by excessive inbreeding).

Both mummies display some elongation of the skull but it is nothing like the Amarna artwork suggests. It was probably stylised for reasons of religious symbolism. It's not because he was an alien or any nonsense like that.

Sorry, lifelong Ancient Egypt fan here :-[

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2017, 06:26:31 PM
The KV55 remains are what most people consider to be Akhenaten's mummy, which may or may not be him. Testing of the bones suggest that the skeleton is too young to be Akhenaten. Tutankhamun (who is related to the KV55 mummy but it is not concretely known how) also possesses an elongated skull, which seems to be a characteristic of the Thutmosid line (probably worsened by excessive inbreeding).

Both mummies display some elongation of the skull but it is nothing like the Amarna artwork suggests. It was probably stylised for reasons of religious symbolism. It's not because he was an alien or any nonsense like that.

Thanks for the tyranntqueen information about Egypt. I was always impressed by the head of that pharaoh, although it has nothing to do with the matter we are dealing with, it is simply a metaphorical comparison.

Honestly, I'm going to be a sure buyer of Safari's amargasaurus but the head honestly does not convince me without it being a great figure. That does not mean I am a great figure but I like the anzu, ankylosaurus and the regaliceratops, I think they are better finished than the amargasaurus.

In the same way that the mastodon and the daeodon seem to me superior to the uintatherium and megacerops without ceasing to be cool and very nice paleoartistic representations.

What I have said does not mean that the amargasaurus is made exactly according to the paleontological patterns, anyway every dinosaur and prehistoric animal figure is welcome in my collection.

stargatedalek

Quote from: DC on November 06, 2017, 05:22:26 PM
No offense but if we count the przewalski horse we should also count a ton of modern animals that are also known from fossil remains. For example should we also count crowned cranes? They coexisted with archetypal "ice age" animals like mammoths just like przewalski horses.

dinoMD

As for the people who haven't bought any of the new figures yet, I love my new Amargasaurus.  I feel it grows on me more each day.  And thank goodness for a sizeable sauropod figure in the rebooted line (scale notwithstanding).

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 06, 2017, 05:18:04 PM

I agree, and I think you finally nailed it about the legs! I keep on thinking that there is something off about the figure ( and the Diplo also), and it's the legs, they are way to skinny , almost human-like to me! And the lack of lips, along with the highlights on the head is really disturbing :))

The position of the knees on the Diplo and Amarga also seems funny to me.  They almost point inward while the feet point outward.

terrorchicken

the Anzu is just beautiful, its amazing that the deep red and green work so well and yet does not give off a "Christmas" vibe.

I like the amarga(Im not buying it due to the size issue) but the head really does look strange...though it does remind me a bit of Luis Rey's amargasaurus paintings.

crankydinosaur

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2017, 06:59:59 PM
No offense but if we count the przewalski horse we should also count a ton of modern animals that are also known from fossil remains. For example should we also count crowned cranes? They coexisted with archetypal "ice age" animals like mammoths just like przewalski horses.

Fun Fact: they actually found remains of a crowned crane at the Ashfall Beds (Middle - Late Miocene) in Nebraska.

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

I am really excited for their new mastodon especially if the rumors about size are true! I went and bought the anzu (It's one of my favorite species..then again..Aren't they all?....) it's really good and will look great on my shelf!
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

Brontozaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2017, 06:59:59 PM

The fact that the animals we see today used to coexist with extinct megafauna always blows my mind.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ItsTwentyBelow

QuoteThe fact that the animals we see today used to coexist with extinct megafauna always blows my mind.

Well, our species used to coexist with extinct megafauna as well...

I can't decide if I want to wait until everything is revealed by Safari before ordering $40 worth of new prehistoric critters from them to get free shipping, or just pull the trigger now. I must acquire that Mastodon, and the Daeodon among others.

Regaliceratops: Another great addition to the Safari ceratopsian lineup, but I really do think the colors are a bit subdued and plain.

Megacerops: After looking at this from all angles, I'm really appreciating the sculpt and proportions here, and I think it's a better result than the Mojo figure in the end, if a bit static.

Uintatherium: This one is pretty good, but something about it, and its small size, makes me think this figure was kind of an afterthought addition to the lineup. The figure looks very similar to the Safari Amebelodon in texture and pose, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Will buy!

Ankylosaurus: Best Anky out there, but we've known this one was coming.

Bring on the rest!

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 06, 2017, 06:26:31 PM

I was just being facetious about the alien DNA. I do think the Pharaohs were more the product of mixed hominin lineages (e.g. reddish hair as opposed to the general populace) than exclusively inbreeding but I could be wrong.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 06, 2017, 05:18:04 PM

I think the angle of the photo that you posted makes the face look longer and more 'laughing horse'.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: