News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 07, 2017, 05:19:12 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 06, 2017, 05:18:04 PM
Quote from: Simon on November 06, 2017, 04:55:49 PM
Thanks for the closeup of the Amargasaurus, Boki.  It confirms my earlier opinion.  To me, it looks like a glorified Chinasaur (the old, cheap kind).  The proportions look off (legs in particular), the tail's too thin, spines are off, "laughing horse face" looks wrong, etc.  Not impressed at all.  They should have let Doug sculpt it...

I agree, and I think you finally nailed it about the legs! I keep on thinking that there is something off about the figure ( and the Diplo also), and it's the legs, they are way to skinny , almost human-like to me! And the lack of lips, along with the highlights on the head is really disturbing :))
Imagine what this could have looked like if Doug sculpted it.

I think the angle of the photo that you posted makes the face look longer and more 'laughing horse'.

Ummm, no. It really is like that, you can look at all the promo photos and its the same.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 07, 2017, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on November 07, 2017, 05:19:12 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 06, 2017, 05:18:04 PM
Quote from: Simon on November 06, 2017, 04:55:49 PM
Thanks for the closeup of the Amargasaurus, Boki.  It confirms my earlier opinion.  To me, it looks like a glorified Chinasaur (the old, cheap kind).  The proportions look off (legs in particular), the tail's too thin, spines are off, "laughing horse face" looks wrong, etc.  Not impressed at all.  They should have let Doug sculpt it...

I agree, and I think you finally nailed it about the legs! I keep on thinking that there is something off about the figure ( and the Diplo also), and it's the legs, they are way to skinny , almost human-like to me! And the lack of lips, along with the highlights on the head is really disturbing :))
Imagine what this could have looked like if Doug sculpted it.

I think the angle of the photo that you posted makes the face look longer and more 'laughing horse'.

Ummm, no. It really is like that, you can look at all the promo photos and its the same.

:)) Yikes, It's basically like the CollectA version.

PhilSauria

It's probably a safe bet to say that this and the Diplodocus are the work of the same hand, something worried me about the legs on the Diplod as well, to the point where I have not added that one to my collection and probably won't be adding this one either, and Sauropods form a major part of my interest with over 40 or so of them lining my shelves. Yeah, thanks for posting the photos to provide even more coverage to aid in the decision making for the rest of us yet to 'take the plunge' on this critter.

Dromaenychus

Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured everyone here could use some in pics of Ankylosaurus and Regaliaceratops. Bonus Anzu

The Regaliaceratops is a bit more massive than the other ceratopsians. Ankylosaurus is big and heavy, probably scaled to Feathered T-Rex. Both Anky and Regie have a nice dark wash that really makes the details pop.
Some comparison shots

Jose S.M.

Great shots! Thanks for sharing... also welcome to the poster community!

Faelrin

Thanks for the pictures, and congrats with your first time post. Looks like you have quite the collection as well.

I really cannot wait to get those since they look so good. That Regaliceratops might even be my favorite model for 2018 so far now (although I really love that American Mastodon too). I just love how bulky it looks.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

The regaliceratops looks much better than the official photos, might consider picking this up as well  ^-^
Thanks for the photos!

Ravonium

Welcome to the forum. These are amongst the best photos someone has taken of the figures.

Quote from: Dromaenychus on November 08, 2017, 01:40:03 AM

That Anzu looks like it's enjoying the pain of the Stegosaurus a bit too much.

Nanuqsaurus

Still not a big fan of that Regaliceratops, the color are way to retro for me. It looks better than in the official photos though, I might pick it up someday. The other figures are absolutely stunning! :D

tanystropheus

Every year WS manages to outperform their previous ceratopsian efforts. This year is certainly no different.
The model has considerable heft and is proportioned better (as in more realistically) than last year's Einiosaurus and the product values on this model is undeniable.

The colors have far greater saturation/gradient than any WS ceratopsian before it. Oddly enough, the Regaliceratops seems to juxtapose more naturally with the Papo Styracosaurus than the WS Nasutoceratops and Diabloceratops. This is made possible because of the superior color scheme, texture quality and overall craftsmanship of the model. Without a doubt, the Regaliceratops is Safari's finest ceratopsian model.

Regaliceratops Overall rating: 10/10

P.S: What happened to the Ankylosaurus angry painted-on eyebrows? The Ankylo looks pretty good but may need a wash to bring out the finer details of the plates. As of now, the plates appear a bit like modeling clay. I will probably repaint the plates a few shades darker. The Anzu looks terrific.

Dromaenychus

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I think these latest models give Papo a run for their money in terms of paint detail. The Ankylosaurus could probably have benefited from a dry brush on top to highlight the armor, but it is the best rendition of the species as far as I can tell. Had my doubts about it when the leaked pictures showed up, with already owning the Carnegie version, but this one blows it out of the water. Now if only they could do an Euoplocephalus for 2019 or 2020, I'd be set.

Roselaar

Not a big fan of the horns on the Regali, but otherwise a neat figure. Size of both Regali and Ankylo seems fairly large.

Jose S.M.

I'm fine with the horns but if the had a dark wash  or something they would look better, just like it has been said about the plates of Anky, probably I'm going to attempt to do it myself. I'm very excited for mine to arrive!

danmalcolm

If you don't mind, would you be able to post a picture of the anky and papo styraco side by side? I want to get a better idea of its size. The safari site says it's as wide as a pop can! Which seems pretty chunky to me. Thanks.

Shonisaurus

I agree that without a doubt the ankylosaurus is the best figure of its kind made by a dinosaur company ever as some members of the forum claim.

On the other hand the regaliceratops is the best ceraptoside made to date by Safari and one of the best figures made by a dinosaur company. His hyperrealism and detail do not envy Papo. On the other hand, its scientific precision seems acceptable to me from my point of view.

The anzu is an elegant and beautifully detailed figure and another very nice work of art by Safari.

Perhaps the loosest dinosaurs is the Safari amargasaurus without stating that I like it more than other companies like the Collecta deluxe.

I have the mastodon and the daeodon and I can attest that they are the best prehistoric mammals that Safari has done and that they surpass even in relation to the daeodon for its realism to that of Collecta.

Finalizing the uintatherium and megacerops I like them but they are figures with a very conservative painting and sincerely, although they are very beautiful figures I prefer Collecta's interpretations (although Safari's are certainly more precise from a scientist's point of view. It is absolutely no offense to anyone with my statements, it is only an opinion and contribution to the forum about the figures so far revealed by the Safari brand that has increased its prestige with respect to the previous year.

I greatly appreciate the member of the forum Dromaenychus for the beautiful photographs of his models he has shared with the forum of the toy dinosaurs. They are very nice and very cool!  :D

Concavenator

Thanks for posting these up! ;)
That Regaliceratops looks good and bulky.And I think it is far better than last year's Einiosaurus,and on par with the Nasutoceratops.It also reminds me  of a certain old Agathaumas illustration.It has a retro feel to it.

And for me,the Anzu is still the gem so far 8)

Dromaenychus

Quote from: danmalcolm on November 08, 2017, 03:53:52 PM
If you don't mind, would you be able to post a picture of the anky and papo styraco side by side? I want to get a better idea of its size. The safari site says it's as wide as a pop can! Which seems pretty chunky to me. Thanks.
I will when I get home. It is slightly wider than a Sam Adams beer bottle, I know that much XD

danmalcolm

Ah. Not a pop drinker eh? Thanks, much appreciated. I hope it's nice and hefty.

Shonisaurus

I pass a review of Spinodude amargasaurus as you can see the skin is very detailed. Surely you see the figure better in person than in the promotional photos.

After what I've seen, I'm realizing that, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not fair in my negative criticisms of that figure,  :-[  :-X I've given you the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MMP0H0E9XU

terrorchicken

Quote from: Dromaenychus on November 08, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! I think these latest models give Papo a run for their money in terms of paint detail. The Ankylosaurus could probably have benefited from a dry brush on top to highlight the armor, but it is the best rendition of the species as far as I can tell. Had my doubts about it when the leaked pictures showed up, with already owning the Carnegie version, but this one blows it out of the water. Now if only they could do an Euoplocephalus for 2019 or 2020, I'd be set.

yours is the first pic of the anky Ive seen that makes me consider wanting to buy it. Before I didnt really like it, especially the pebbly skin(I hate pebbly skin texture on figures) and I already have the Carnegie version anyway.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: