News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moldovan0731

Review of the new Daeodon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3K-RH9xEkQ
Another review, which also compares it to the Collecta Daeodon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUErRHYvULA
And another review, which points out the inaccurate hooves of the Collecta Daeodon: http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/07/20/daeodon-collecta/

tanystropheus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 03, 2017, 05:55:43 PM
said a long time ago it was Regaliceratops....nice one too. Glad we got this one....

Good call!  I like how Safari Ltd. is giving us a good mix of old classics as well as newly discovered prehistorics.
I was browsing through Safari's website for additional pics of the Regaliceratops. It seems to be very well proportioned with considerable heft (similar to the Ankylosaurus). I'm pretty sure it is in scale with the other ceratopsians but this full-fledged treatment really makes the ceratopsian appear believable. Safari Ltd. will have the best ceratopsians in the market, at least until Creative Beasts introduces their line (although, they are not supposed to be direct competitors).

I'm also impressed with the prehistoric mammal offerings. The Uintatherium was in demand for the longest time. It looks as if Safari Ltd. has taken their signature gold eyes to a whole different level of realism (e.g. Uintatherium and Megacerops). The Megacerops will be a great companion piece for my Mojo version.

Shonisaurus

It must be recognized that the Safari daeodon is superior in this case to that of Collecta, without its genius being subtracted from its predecessor. It is more correct from the paleontological point of view, but that does not mean that the Collecta daeodon does not stop being one of my favorite figures of prehistoric mammals.

As for the megacerops and uintatherium Safari with respect to those of Collecta, it means another vision of the mammals themselves from other interpretations within the philosophy of each company. But without a doubt I'm still dazzled by the figures of Collecta in this case, but until I buy them next year Safari and can compare them in person I can not comment in a hurry.

I said both Collecta and Safari are very serious prehistoric mammal companies and each according to their philosophy have the same genius, but I do like the daeodon Safari more realistically as witnessed by that review made in dinotoyblog.com. On the other hand Doug Watson's mastodon is a figure of real luxury.

And in the end I am happy that Safari has made a dinosaur figure along with the anzu, which is quite unknown as the regaliceratops and that both are so beautifully detailed and so well finished. I am in favor of starting to make figures of dinosaurs and unknown prehistoric animals in the toy market.

The tyrannosaurus, triceratops, styracosaurus, brachiosaurus, velociraptor, stegosaurus to give examples is true that they are better known and more perfectly preserved figures than other species of dinosaurs and that they are prehistoric animals that never cease to amaze anyone but the dinosaur companies also need make new figures of unknown prehistoric animals to date.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 04, 2017, 06:06:19 PM

I was browsing through Safari's website for additional pics of the Regaliceratops. It seems to be very well proportioned with considerable heft (similar to the Ankylosaurus). I'm pretty sure it is in scale with the other ceratopsians but this full-fledged treatment really makes the ceratopsian appear believable.

I think some photos, including the one on the first page of this thread, make the Regaliceratops head look a bit big, but if one sees the full profile photos on the website one can see that that's not the case and looks just as good as the latest safari ceratopsians, I'm very excited for this one!

suspsy

On the one hand, the Safari Daeodon is more accurate and looks more like a real, living animal as opposed to a vicious, salivating, rampaging deathbringer. On the other hand, that is precisely what I adore about the CollectA version.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Joey

Quote from: suspsy on November 04, 2017, 07:26:05 PM
On the one hand, the Safari Daeodon is more accurate and looks more like a real, living animal as opposed to a vicious, salivating, rampaging deathbringer. On the other hand, that is precisely what I adore about the CollectA version.
The Collecta one also looks more like a 'classic' Daedon or Entelodont. But I still like the Safari one more and as you said it looks more like a real animal.

tanystropheus

the CollectA version of Daeodon is nice but looks as if it has some vanilla frosting glaze covering its face. I think both models are on par, but for different reasons.

AcroSauroTaurus

Little late to the party... ;) Haven't had much internet access lately.
My opinions:

American Mastodon: Really nice, mastodon's in general don't get many figures.

Daeodon: Its nice to see an accurate entelodont, much better than the CollectA.(That doesn't mean I don't like the CollectA anymore, as I prefer the CollectA's colors)

Anzu: Beautiful colors and sculpt, I like how there isn't just one feather texture on  the whole body.

Amargasaurus: Big, but I don't worry about scale. I prefer bigger sauropods anyway. ;)

Megacerops: I like it better than the CollectA version,(which I don't have) so this will be the Megacerops I get.

Uintatherium: Its not bad, but I personally prefer the sculpt of the CollectA version, as the characteristic 8 horns are more noticeable.

Regaliceratops: Could use some brighter colors on the head/frill, but the sculpt is great.(Its a CollectA colors and Safari sculpt scenario, I like the Safari's sculpt, but the CollectA's colors. I said the same for the Diabloceratops')

Ankylosaurus: A little late on the accuracy... but its still the best Anky available.
I am the Dinosaur King!

crankydinosaur

Shonisaurus

Quote from: crankydinosaur on November 05, 2017, 04:05:55 AM
Oh they also have a Przewalski's Horse!

https://www.safariltd.com/przewalskis-horse

By the way, Przewalski's horse seems to me very well to be mentioned as it is in increasing danger of extinction regardless of its extinction in the wild in 1960, but fortunately it still exists in very small numbers.

It is not the same case of the marble-tipped woodpecker or the subspecies of the Galápagos tortoise extinguishing whose last issue "George" disappeared unfortunately if I remember correctly in 2012.

The same can be said of the sadly disappeared thylacine.

I like that Przewalski's horse is mentioned but that species is not extinct since specimens were kept in captivity and reintroduced into the wild. The debate about Przewalski's horse belongs more to the animaltoyforum forum than to the dinotoyforum forum from my humble point of view.

I understand that it is more dramatic the situation of another animal fortunately made by the Safari brand, such as the Sumatran rhinoceros or even the Java rhino, which, unfortunately, I predict a short time ago. Apart from that, the rhinoceros of Sumatra is a rhinoceros that comes from the Miocene and is of the species of the woolly rhinoceros.

Anyway thanks crankydinosaur for the link you never know in my case if I'm going to buy that figure at the end.

Concavenator

Just so you know,the  Regaliceratops ,Anlylosaurus,and the mammals are available through Safari's website

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Concavenator on November 05, 2017, 02:31:37 PM
Just so you know,the  Regaliceratops ,Anlylosaurus,and the mammals are available through Safari's website

I couldn't wait and order the Regaliceratops, Ankylosaurus, Anzu and also my first non dinosaur the Inostrancevia. First time ordering directly from their shop actually.

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately, those Safari figures are only available to those who reside in the USA. In my case I belong to a nation of the European Union so it is impossible to buy it.

I tried to buy the american mastodon or Americanum mammoth and the daeodon unsuccessfully on safariltd.com only allowed shipments within the US The same can be said about the Cambrian creatures of the Ontario Museum of Canada it was impossible for me and that I spoke with the Museum store but they could not do anything unfortunately.  :(

I got the daeodon from Dejankins and I bought the mastodon from an American merchant at an eBay store.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

stargatedalek

Safari also ships directly in Canada.

Concavenator

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 05, 2017, 03:24:18 PM

I couldn't wait and order the Regaliceratops, Ankylosaurus, Anzu and also my first non dinosaur the Inostrancevia. First time ordering directly from their shop actually.
Good! Feel free to post up some pics when you get them.Now that some pictures of the Anzu are released,I wanna know how the Regaliceratops looks in person. ;D

suspsy

I'd still love to know the identity of the sculptor behind the Anzu and the Amargasaurus, and the non-Watson figures from this year. He/she has superb talent; it'd be great to see him/her show up here on the forum.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PhilSauria

As I live outside the USA so I will have to wait until they are available locally, mid December-ish I am told by the best supplier in Australia, Mini Zoo. Printed out some actual size images based on the dimensions on the Safari site to get a better feel for these, the Triceratops fits in with the sizes of Safari's previous Ceratopsians and the Megacerops would display nicely with the Mojo version. I'd also like to see photos of the actual figures as distinct from the somewhat retouched promo images but in the end I suspect I will be ordering most if not all of these anyway!

Shonisaurus

It would be interesting if someone published videos of the novelties of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Safari 2018 to be able to judge the figures better.

On the other hand I would like that apart from the titanosaurus (mysterious) and the possible hyaenodon Safari editase more figures of prehistoric animals especially of those dark and very dark, that is to say unknown in the toy market.

Bokisaurus

Beautiful new mammals from Safari!
Just got the last two

They are both great figures, however, those back feathers on the Anzu is to distracting for me, they are simply too pronounced and big, they remind me of a pangolin  :))

Concavenator

The Anzu keeps looking better in every new picture!  ;D
Can we expect a proper review of it soon?  ::)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: