News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on November 15, 2017, 05:31:12 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 15, 2017, 05:17:14 PM
From the thread that has the Mr.Seo interview, the sculptor of Papo:

Quote from: Dyscrasia on May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.
Everybody acts like papo promised a Giganotosaurus years ago and thus the company owes one. But guys, the only one that "promised" a Giga, was the sculptor. But he only said that he had PLANS, but he needed Papo´s approval. Maybe Papo did not approved the Giganotosaurus.

Another comment aside. Personally I don´t care anymore if papo does or does not make a Giga because the Safari one is already excelent in my opinion.

a qhote from the Thread
Quote from: Dyscrasia on May 28, 2015, 09:42:43 AM
This is a very recent interview with one of Papo's sculptor, Mr. Seo.
The Papo dinosaurs, pterosaurs, big cats and mutant animals are sculpted by him.

http://blog.naver.com/eurofd/220371793092

Unfortunately, the interview is in Korean, but there are several pics which you folks might enjoy looking at.

Since I am too lazy and not good enough to translate the whole thing, I'll just list some of the contents from the interview which might interest forum members (focused on dinosaurs).

- Inspiration: Basically he uses both scientific literature and dinosaurs depicted in mass media in order to satisfy both children and adult collectors (due to demand by Papo rather than his own decision).

- Mr. Seo says that the details of the production pieces are not on par with the prototypes, but Papo is figuring out ways to improve this issue along with warping issues for future products.

And probably the biggest question the forum members may have  ;D - Future dinosaur products;

A Baryonyx sculpt has been recently finished, and will have a relatively vibrant color scheme.

A feathered Velociraptor is currently being sculpted.

An Iguanodon will be sculpted in the near future, which will be the next herbivore dinosaur from Papo.

This is something I SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED in the first place, but simply forgot to  :-[

- Mr. Seo does have plans to sculpt a Giganotosaurus, and is currently studying the differences between it and T. rex (the tub minis aren't sculpted by him though).

- However, unlike the other three mentioned dinosaurs, it is currently just a plan and it seems like he is waiting approval from Papo.

Me thinks he is not well versed into dinosaurs.

Honestly, i think the Acrocanthosaurus looks too close to a Potential Giganotosaurus that they "maybe" will not consider it anymore

For someone who is not well versed into dinosaurs, he is doing a damn fine job, achieving near parity with other dinosaur companies. However, having a consultant on board will only lead to superior products.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Faelrin on November 15, 2017, 05:02:28 PM
Aside from the Giganotosaurus, I'm not sure what Papo could make next. =

Saurolophus
Chasmosaurus
Einiosaurus
Protoceratops
Torosaurus
Pentaceratops

Quetzalcoatlus

Ornithocheirus
Deluxe Apatosaurus
Baby Brachiosaurus
Diplodocus
Kentrosaurus
Edmontonia
Deinonychus
Caudipteryx
Gigantoraptor
Deinocheirus
Ornithomimus

Saltasaurus

Allosaurus v2
Yutyrannus
Carcharodontosaurus
Deinosuchus
Ichthyosaurus
Liopleurodon
Dunkleosteus

Shonisaurus

Tantrofio I agree with you that Papo made those figures among them I stay with a chasmosaurus (currently there is none in the market of the toy of the serious dinosario except that of Collecta and it is very loose), pentaceratops another figure that I would add to my collection of ceraptosidos next to that of Schleich and Favorite.

On the other hand I do not understand that still no Western dinosaur toy company has made an updated figure of protoceratops, more being a well-known figure for its fossil remains in abundance and iconic in the history of paleontology.  :(

On the other hand saurolophus Favorite needs company! and who better than a company of Papo or Collecta to fill that void, since Safari has revealed all its figures and it is not possible to do this year this kind of dinosaur.

A dunkleosteus would be within the possible for the simple reason that Collecta, Schleich, Favorite and Safari have already made one the last revealed by Collecta.

Also a gigantoraptor and a deinocheirus. For me it is essential that some company reveal the figure of the gigantoraptor is a nonexistent figure in large size in the toy market.

Deinocheirus would also be excellent figures along with those of Collecta and Safari.

I hope that your dreams that are mine (and to be honest I like more the realistic dinars) come true.

All those figures that you have named are very little treated except for exceptions.

Faelrin

That's a good list there, Tanystropheus. It would be nice to see if they made some of those.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Acro's comics

I really like these new models. I think they are even better than last years models.

Irritation

So I assuming that we won't get a Koreaceratops?

dragon53

So Papo still might release another dinosaur for 2018?

hao_bao

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 13, 2017, 06:43:02 PM

On the other hand therizinosaurus reminds me of a mixture of giant sloth (megatherium) and dinosaur, dignified figure and cool but that is marked by Papo's patterns and philosophy that we have to respect. He is seen as a paunchy figure but honestly I think he is a pretty good figure. I do not understand how much member of the forum dislikes that figure. And the same thing that I have mentioned about the iguanodon I do not like dinosaurs and more in herbivores the articulated jaws, which have carnivores I understand but I do not share it but the herbivores with all the respect for Papo does not make me very funny, for me That is too much, although it is part of the way of being of that company.

Forgive my paleontological ignorance, but how do you know it's a he from that sculpt?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: hao_bao on November 16, 2017, 11:05:53 AM

On the other hand therizinosaurus reminds me of a mixture of giant sloth (megatherium) and dinosaur, dignified figure and cool but that is marked by Papo's patterns and philosophy that we have to respect. He is seen as a paunchy figure but honestly I think he is a pretty good figure. I do not understand how much member of the forum dislikes that figure. And the same thing that I have mentioned about the iguanodon I do not like dinosaurs and more in herbivores the articulated jaws, which have carnivores I understand but I do not share it but the herbivores with all the respect for Papo does not make me very funny, for me That is too much, although it is part of the way of being of that company.

Forgive my paleontological ignorance, but how do you know it's a he from that sculpt?

He uses an online translator and English isn't his mother tongue. That might have something to do with it.

(I'm not bashing you Shonisaurus, I know you're doing the best that you can).

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 16, 2017, 11:17:02 AM

He uses an online translator and English isn't his mother tongue. That might have something to do with it.

Thank you for your words of support Tyrantqueen I recognize that my knowledge in English is pathetic.

You have not offended me at all what you say is the sad truth.

Silvanusaurus

The Amargasaurus isn't even worth commenting on. The Therizinosaurus is an incredible sculpt in terms of detailing, it's like if the Schleich Theri were turned into a real animal. The Iguanodon looks kind of awkward, maybe the shrink wrapping, or the articulated jaw making the face look off, but hopefully it will be better in hand.
I find it kind of annoying though that Papo seem insistent now on sculpting their dinosaurs in either a rearing/looking down action pose, or alternately a lower, looking upward one. I get that they are going for dynamism, but it seems a bit much.

Irritation

I might do a little comparison between the Papo Iguanodon and the CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon when I get them. And as a bonus, a new collection page since no one really goes my current one anymore.

Syndicate Bias

Great so no Giganotosaurus then? Im having doubts they'll ever make a Carcharodontosaurus either by the looks of it. Sucks really, Safari ltd doesn't have a a great carcha and collects isn't good either. Seems like I'll be buying the 300 dollar model.kit from dans dinosaurs since that's the only good carcha model atm and the vitae giganotosaurus since its close to what rebor and papo would do

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 16, 2017, 04:13:32 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on November 16, 2017, 11:17:02 AM

Thank you for your words of support Tyrantqueen I recognize that my knowledge in English is pathetic.

You have not offended me at all what you say is the sad truth.

I think your English has improved significantly over the years. A few more grammatical fixes (sans run on sentences) and you should be fine.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on November 16, 2017, 06:04:14 PM
The Amargasaurus isn't even worth commenting on. The Therizinosaurus is an incredible sculpt in terms of detailing, it's like if the Schleich Theri were turned into a real animal. The Iguanodon looks kind of awkward, maybe the shrink wrapping, or the articulated jaw making the face look off, but hopefully it will be better in hand.
I find it kind of annoying though that Papo seem insistent now on sculpting their dinosaurs in either a rearing/looking down action pose, or alternately a lower, looking upward one. I get that they are going for dynamism, but it seems a bit much.

To me, the Papo Therizinosaurus is as if the CollectA Theri were turned into a real animal. For reference, I included the following picture:

https://www.nothingbutdinosaurs.com/catalog/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/collecta-deluxe-realistic-therizinosaurus-dinosaur-collectible-toy-model-figure-replica-88675-nothing-but-dinosaurs-dino-nbd.jpg

I would imagine that the awkwardness of the Iguano is mostly due to the angle (it was probably attempting the same angle as the Safari Edmontosaurus)

Faelrin

It's going to be a long wait before I get to see any review videos (or even posts on the blog) before I decide on getting either of these, inaccuracies aside, since these images just aren't doing it for me. Oh well, I'll have plenty of other stuff in the mean time to hold my attention until then. Maybe even do some catching up on getting some Papo figures in that time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Irritation on November 16, 2017, 06:08:45 PM
I might do a little comparison between the Papo Iguanodon and the CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon when I get them. And as a bonus, a new collection page since no one really goes my current one anymore.

Just add new stuff in a reply. People will go again if there's an update.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Syndicate Bias

I'm guessing since we got the baby spino that's it for 2018?

Irritation

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 16, 2017, 09:18:56 PM
Quote from: Irritation on November 16, 2017, 06:08:45 PM

Just add new stuff in a reply. People will go again if there's an update.
I've tried that, an the only success I got was a comparison between the two Schleich Kentrosaurus figures.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SyndicateBias on November 16, 2017, 10:31:20 PM
I'm guessing since we got the baby spino that's it for 2018?

The baby spino is a 2017 model. It is packaged with the 2017 Ceratosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: