News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Bad" Dinosaur Toys / Models That You Like?

Started by IrritatorRaji, November 25, 2017, 08:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Yeah, what it says on the tin. Are there any toys or models that are generally perceived as bad or poor but you find yourself drawn to them for whatever reason?

I've got a few myself. Firstly is the CollectA Irritator (it's one of my faves, if you couldn't tell by my avatar). I know it's not horrible or anything, but it's not the best either. It's really chubby, the paint job is boring and the hands are pronated. 
But I just love it so much. It was a present I got in what was perhaps one of the most depressing months of my life and it was given to me by someone who didn't know me very well, so for them to get me a "random" dinosaur toy and somehow manage to get me my favourite dinosaur was amazing.

Second one is little bit cheat-y since I don't own it anymore, but the CollectA Eustreptospondylus I know is a pretty disliked figure. And I'm not gonna say that I don't think it's ugly, it's really friggen ugly, but I just find it kinda charming. For me it's more of a cute and goofy dinosaur toy than it is a model.

Then there's the Invicta dinosaurs, I like them all but I only own the Rex and the Megalosaurus. I'm someone who absolutely loathes that really old "tripod tail dragging" pose, and when I see it in more recent figures, such as Schleich's Acrocanthosaurus it drives me up a wall. And yet I am madly in love with the Invicta models, the Megalosaurus is my favourite. Though, I'll be honest, it's just nostalgia, I bought them from the Natural History Museum in London as a kid, I used to go all the time. So yeah, I've got some real fond memories attached to these guys.

And lastly there's this controversial dude. I'll admit, I don't like the pose very much (especially since mine won't stop falling over) but the sculpt is beautiful.

Ravonium

For me one somewhat awful model that still retains a place in my collection is the CollectA Liopleurodon, which is one of the earilest models I ever collected (even including extant animals.) and one of the first I took with me regularly, since Liopleurodon was one of my favorite prehistoric animals at the time.

The model itself isn't amongst CollectA's worst early models, but pales in comparison to the Safari Ltd Liopleurodon.

Apart from that and a Safari Ltd toob Loch Ness Monster, I have nothing else in my collection that others regard as awful, so far.

John

I couldn't care less what the general consensus is on a forum like this one on what is "good" or not.If you like any particular model like anything from CollectA's earliest years for instance,then they are most certainly not "bad". :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

I know that the Schleich spinosaurus the latest version is not exactly good but I am attracted to that figure I mean the big spinosaurus that was released years ago. Not the aforementioned medium size.

I like Schleich's medium-sized dimorphodon because it reminds me vaguely of the latest Jurassic Park movie.

Another "bad" dinosaur that I am attracted to is the tyrannosaurus of the Humbold Museum (first version) of Schleich was my favorite and was one of my first big tyranosaurus. I was very impressed with its size.

Collecta's Brachiosaurus Deluxe I liked for its "retro" look and the Schleich saltasaurus that I have good memories of and that I still have in my showcases of preference.

These are some of the dinosaurs of which I am attracted knowing that their figures are not correct, but they do not stop having their charm.

DinoToyForum

Oh, great topic.  :D

Some of my favourite figures are the product of nostalgia, charm, or rarity, irrespective of accuracy. The Dinosaur Toy Blog sometimes gets accused of being too judgemental when it comes to accuracy...I agree!

Some contenders for figures I really like that could be considered "bad" (completely subjective, I know, but I take it as meaning any combination of ugly, poorly sculpted, and/or inaccurate):

Schleich Baryonyx
Funrise Psittacosaurus
Kenner Tanystropheus
Chap Mei small Plesiosaurus
Kenner Big Red Rex
The vast majority of Invicta dinosaurs (certainly not ugly or poorly sculpted)
UKRD Euoplocephalus
Marx Kronosaurus

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others...

Irritation

For me:
Schleich: Most of their figures except for their Acrocanthosaurus.
Papo: Baryonyx and Amagasaurus
CollectA: 2018 Tyrannosaurus and a few others.
Safari Ltd: Maybe the Carnige figures, IDK.

danmalcolm

Papo brachi, and tripod t. rex, both are inaccurate but extremely aesthetically appealing.

I also like safaris old naked velociraptor :)

paintingdinos

I love the Papo Baryonyx. I really dig the over-the-top, Todd Marshall-style spikey spinosaurid look, and I wish there was an actual Spinosaurus model that really captured his (Marshall's) version.

Bokisaurus

Okay, I'll play :)
For me, I find CollectA's original large T-Rex, still one of my favorite despite's it's flaws. I find that the pose is full of character, it was also my favorite diorama subject in the early days ;D
A close second is the CollectA nigersaurus, another charming character in my book.
Also the whole Tsukuda line of figures for me fall in this category. I love them despite the retro and inaccuracies. I fine that I enjoy looking at them more than I do looking at some of the later more accurate figures in my collection. I guess it reminds me that my hobby is for fun and not to be taken too seriously  >:D
Cheers!

Pachyrhinosaurus

While there are far worse figures out there, I like the original Carnegie spinosaurus a lot more than I would imagine most others would. It might be wrong but it reminds me of Stromer's original reconstruction:
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Takama

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 26, 2017, 03:29:22 AM
While there are far worse figures out there, I like the original Carnegie spinosaurus a lot more than I would imagine most others would. It might be wrong but it reminds me of Stromer's original reconstruction:

I like that one as well.

But i prefer the More recent colored version with a Red Sail

ceratopsian

I'm especially attached to the old Carnegie Maiasaura - that's the one where she is sitting proudly on her (very squashed I presume!) eggs.  I'm so fond of it I have two - one purchased second-hand, the other custom painted by Mr Challenger.

sauroid

i like the Geoworld figures (not all) and the look-alike Lontic figures. also some Chap Mei, AAA, Toy Major and UKRD. early releases from Carnegie, Safari Ltd, Mojo, CollectA, Bullyland and Schleich.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PaleoMatt

The Carnegie fighting dilophosaurs are a favourite of mine as is the Carnegie protoceratops nest but I am yet to find one which isn't sloppily painted.

Faelrin

I actually still like my JW Ankylosaurus, Mosasaurus, and a few others. I wouldn't have them on display still if I didn't. In particular I would fiddle around with the Ankylosaurus tail while bored or watching movies. Maybe the older Safari Ltd Triceratops counts as well. I got this a few weeks back, jumping the gun, not expecting a remake of the Triceratops for the 2018 releases. Even though it is a bit outdated now in the accuracy department, I still like the color scheme, and the texturing it has. I don't think they really count much as "bad", but even with the few details wrong, I still quite like the Papo Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Dimetrodon. Granted I don't actually have them yet (soon I hope), but I've seen enough images, and reviews on them to know I like them a lot.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joey

My likeable 'bad' figure/toy list:
Toy major Brachiosaurus (used to have one as kid from the 2010 Animal Planet dinosaur tub)
Toy major Triceratops(from the same tub as the Brachio, loved it a lot because it reminded me a lot of the Torosaurus from WwD)
Marx Dinosaurs (because of their retro nature, and also had a knock off box set of them when I was a kid)    Imperial Dinosaurs (had the Apato, Rex, Steg and Styraco as a kid and loved them because they are fairly large and retro looking)

Gwangi

This guy, the Schleich Replicasaurus Allosaurus

Joey

Quote from: Gwangi on November 26, 2017, 09:38:40 PM
This guy, the Schleich Replicasaurus Allosaurus

That guy's not bad, his tail is just broken  ;D

terrorchicken

I have one of the Disney Dinosaur carnotaurus figures (not the electronic ones, the one that's articulated at the neck, tail and limbs). The articulation looks ridiculous but I love that carnotaur design as much as I love the JP T-rex design and I think its the best representation of it.

Gwangi

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 26, 2017, 09:47:25 PM
I have one of the Disney Dinosaur carnotaurus figures (not the electronic ones, the one that's articulated at the neck, tail and limbs). The articulation looks ridiculous but I love that carnotaur design as much as I love the JP T-rex design and I think its the best representation of it.

I'm a big fan of that design too and any of the toys that came out of it. I have one of them, a small one, but would love to have the big Carnotaurus.

I also really like the little Dakin Jurassic Park toys. So much so that I reviewed all of them for the blog.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: