News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balaur

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 21, 2013, 12:44:35 AM
Quote from: Balaur on December 21, 2013, 12:02:42 AM
Me and my mom are going to see it tonight as well. I originally said I won't but, I want to review it on my blog, and I will wear earplugs, even though it won't filter out all the noise. Still, you'll see a review for it tonight on my blog. Chances are it won't be positive. :/
I can understand not wanting to listen to the sound for casual listening...but if you're going to be writing a review, how will contribute towards a fair conclusion? You'll be hampering your analysis of the movie.

My only excuse it that I can't filter out all the sound, but I still want to watch without having to hear the grating voice overs.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 12:45:53 AM
Seems Krentz's family enjoyed it overall per facebook. 

Looks like Dan has a video up showing scenes with and without dialogue.  The latter seems to work better for me...reminds me of Delgado's work more.  You tend to focus on the visuals even more really.
Just saw it. They better do a no-dialogue option on the DVD, I actually love this scene without dialogue but hate it with the annoying and cheesy voices. Also the WWD music Dan added sounds perfect with the two bulls fighting :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

HD-man

Looks like Dan has a video up showing scenes with and without dialogue.  The latter seems to work better for me...reminds me of Delgado's work more.  You tend to focus on the visuals even more really.

Is there a link?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Yutyrannus

Quote from: HD-man on December 21, 2013, 01:20:19 AM

Is there a link?
Just go on the Dan's Dinosaurs Facebook page :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Is there a link?

here you go : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_6raDlph0&feature=youtu.be

Hermes888

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 21, 2013, 02:51:49 AM

Is there a link?

here you go : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS_6raDlph0&feature=youtu.be
While the piece of music he used (from The Ballad of Big Al) is a great track, I found it rather unfitting with the scene that was being played.
When I watched it on mute though, I'll have to agree with you - I paid more attention to the animation. If someone here at the forum, or perhaps the film creators themselves, would be willing to create a voiceless version of the film with the rest of the sound effects left intact, that would be great.

I wouldn't be surprised if this film flops. I follow a few video game journalists who are, in general, fans of "popular dinosaurs" (IE: Jurassic Park). So far, none of them have made any mention of Walking With Dinosaurs 3D, and when I asked one of them about the film, they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.
I guess it's too geared towards children. What a shame.

Blade-of-the-Moon

His music choice may have influenced by Youtube..they are getting surprisingly strict about what audio you use.

A piece with no voices certainly makes the animation shine..and that's where an artist can really make the character's different and inspired. Let them use much more body language to " speak " .

Balaur

Well, I'm back! I must say, I have many opinions, and forst I'll talk about the positives.

First off, it was a beautiful movie. It was filmed beautifully, the shots of Alaska where breathtaking, and the dinosaurs looked great. I didn't see a problem with the animation, and it felt right in all the places. Out of all the creatures, however, my favourite where the Alphadons. They kept on appearing, especially when Patchi and Juniper walk in the dark forest, and one just leaps out of the burrow at them. I found them adorable too. However, that pretty much sums up the good parts.

Everything else is horrible. The voices where far, far worse than Speckles, or Dinosaur. I wanted them to stop, (oh, and I decided at the last minute not to where earplugs, thus making it a fair review) but they kept on coming. It made the movie seem really rushed, as if it left out something. It also made it so I was taken out of the film. The Gorgosaurus attack near the river could have been great, but I never felt like the Pachyrhinosaurus where in peril, because Alex kept on stating the obvious, and Patchi had to make a poop joke that wasn't funny. I wanted to feel like they where in peril, but I just couldn't take it seriously. As for animals behaving like humans, Patchi, Scowler, and Juniper acted very human and at some points not at all like animals, especially when Scowler tried to scare off an Edmontosaurus from food and Patchi was trying to catch fish under the ice. Actually, it felt like Patchi was acting like a kitten. I do have to admit, there were very few things that made me laugh. And it was Alex, but then again, I could have laughed without him. Also, whenever a new dinosaur was shown, it identified it, with a kids voice. What? Fox, do you really have to do that? Really? The voices took me out of the film, and did not make me feel like I was Walking with Dinosaurs. It made me feel like a cheap movie that was poorly edited, and made, something I wish I didn't have to say. Also, the beginning and end where pretty pointless. I haven't encountered a single teenager who didn't like dinosaurs in a long time, and I am sure a talking bird would not make them feel any closer to the dinosaurs. Overall, I am upset with what it could have been. Fox made a poor decision, ruined my childhood, and killed what was good about Walking with Dinosaurs. I will now go off to watch the original series on my TV downstairs.

I give this movie a 3.5/10, and thus sums up one of my longest posts yet.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well that sounds about like the majority opinion. I was considering going to see it next week..not sure now if it's worth it still. I was aiming for a 2D viewing anyway.

rfdelgado

I might hurry. It opened at only 7 million this weekend. Cost 80.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on December 22, 2013, 08:25:44 PM
I might hurry. It opened at only 7 million this weekend. Cost 80.

Ouch. Maybe it will do better overseas ?

They haven't done a  good job marketing it really. I had friends who like dinos that hadn't heard of it yet.  I haven't the toys in stores yet either here.

Takama

I plan on watching it tomorrow.   My Mom promised me to take me to see it as a X_Mas present.

Im willing to take it in, and write a review of my own that I will post on Facebook, and here

alexeratops

OK, the movie was just Dinosaur. Migration,lose family, get to feeding/nesting grounds. Only parts I liked was the animations and Alex (cuz he's funny,ya know). I was wrong-- no all caps. :) Over all, 4 out of 10.
like a bantha!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: alexeratops on December 22, 2013, 09:48:43 PM
OK, the movie was just Dinosaur. Migration,lose family, get to feeding/nesting grounds. Only parts I liked was the animations and Alex (cuz he's funny,ya know). I was wrong-- no all caps. :) Over all, 4 out of 10.

I'd read it was very formulaic.

rfdelgado

Or Age of Reptiles- The Journey :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: rfdelgado on December 22, 2013, 11:48:40 PM

Or Age of Reptiles- The Journey :)

At least you did some nice outrageous scenes in your story...not the typical stuff. ;)

Balaur

I am currently writing my review for the film on my blog, and should be posted tonight. Oh boy, it will be pretty evident how angry I am!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on December 23, 2013, 03:14:47 AM
I am currently writing my review for the film on my blog, and should be posted tonight. Oh boy, it will be pretty evident how angry I am!

It might be hard but try and keep an eye on the temper !

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 23, 2013, 03:19:49 AM
Quote from: Balaur on December 23, 2013, 03:14:47 AM

It might be hard but try and keep an eye on the temper !

I'll try! ;)

Everything_Dinosaur

Our review of the Walking with Dinosaurs in 3-D film: Everything Dinosaur's Review

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: